Reply to this topicStart new topic
Duck Bay, Victoria arrival point
fredk
post Oct 14 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #380

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Back to serious stuff...

I made some long baseline anaglyphs from the pancam imagery from the penultimate and ultimate stops at the Duck Bay rim. The images were taken sols 952 and 953, but the corresponding positions on the route map are labeled 951 and 952. These positions don't give much baseline for the far rim, but they do for Verde and Frio cliffs.

Still, the baseline isn't orthogonal to these cliffs, so I had to scale/rotate the frames to match them, but couldn't do it perfectly, so you may experience headaches from viewing these! Also the lighting angle seems to differ between the two frames.

Cape Verde in two parts:
Attached Image

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 14 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #381

And two views of Frio:
Attached Image

Attached Image

There really are incredible details visible in these four images that aren't in the pancam L/R anaglyphs we've seen already.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Oct 14 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #382

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Great stuff, fredk, especially Cabo Verde. The amount of detail is fantastic; it's worth the headache.

Sol 957:

Sol 952-955:

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Oct 14 2006, 02:25 AM
Post #383

Member No.: 98

Quick false-color stitch:

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 14 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #384

Member No.: 116

Nice work on the LBLs, fredk. No headaches on this end, only smiles. The 3D relief you teased from the images is quite excellent, to say the least.

mhoward: I just wanted to mention that I finally tried that Hugin program with the panorama project files created by your MidnightMarsBrowser program. It amazed me. It was so simple. I simply told MMB to create the files, and then I told Hugin to stitch them. I still need to learn to tweak some things to make panoramas as sweet as yours, but that can wait until tomorrow or the next day, or whenever. I think Autostitch is about to take a back seat on this desktop.

Oh, and thanks for updating the metadata before going to bed. smile.gif

Lastly, can't we give Julius a good answer to his legitimate question? I don't remember with certainty, but I thought I remembered a reputable person making a measurement of the slope on Duck Bay as less than 20 degrees a while back.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 14 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #385

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

The first UMSF "Victoria BarBQ" guest reaches Duck Bay...

Attached Image

See you all there! smile.gif

(Can't guarantee Oppy's tracks still being there for photos tho, sorry...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 14 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #386

Member No.: 132

[quote name='mhoward' date='Oct 13 2006, 09:48 PM' post='72563']
Sol 957:

For a second, I thought this was a simulated shot of a Mars sample return mission launching. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 14 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #387

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 14 2006, 05:42 AM) *
Lastly, can't we give Julius a good answer to his legitimate question? I don't remember with certainty, but I thought I remembered a reputable person making a measurement of the slope on Duck Bay as less than 20 degrees a while back.

I think this is tough to do with much accuracy now. James and I did measurements of some slopes on the far rim which we could do because we had horizontal and vertical views of the far rim. To do Duck Bay properly from here I think you'd need to construct a 3D model from stereo imagery.

Still, you can say a few things. Using my technique from a year ago during Spirit's descent of Haskin ridge, I measured the angle between the horizon and the edge of the hidden slope in front of us at the sol 952 location to be 20.3 degrees:
Attached Image

(Thanks to James for the pancam pan.) Assuming that the visible horizon coincides with the true horizon, this means that the slope of Duck Bay in front of the sol 952 location must be more than 20.3 degrees.

But if you look at the orbital image, you can see that the slope in front of Oppy looks like the steepest part of Duck Bay - it looks less steep to the north and south.

You might think you could just do this to measure the slope of the south part of Duck Bay:
Attached Image

But this only works if the lower line is parallel to the steepest direction down the slope, and the plane defined by the angle is normal to the line of sight. It's hard to say if that's the case, so don't take that 17.5 degree value too seriously.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 17 2006, 06:48 AM
Post #388

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (abalone @ Oct 13 2006, 10:07 PM) *
PS. Are you still in Sydney? nice hot start to spring and another one on the way tomorrow I believe.

Yup still in Sydney. Escaped to the Blue Mountains to avoid the heat at the weekend though.

Looks like the data flow has stopped for the conjuction now. So I'll post the partial colour Duck Bay pan that I wasn't going to bother with.

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 17 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #389

Member No.: 542

Thanks James. Is that in 'true colour' now?

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 18 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #390

No. Using the stretched jpegs with no calibration files, true colour is impossible. It is however a guess at a 'realistic' colour.

And i've just noticed that there is a Cabo Frio ture colour image on the pancam site which shows that I'm not that far off - still a bit to much contrast though.

James

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 4 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #391

Still a little missing data, but after the long conjunction I thought it about time to get something out. I'll produce a more refined version, better colour, sky added etc, for the final version.

James

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
Indian3000
post Nov 5 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #392

Member No.: 278

a first draft version biggrin.gif

i need to do some correction wink.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 9 2006, 03:52 AM
Post #393

Well there is still some missing data, but you can hardly tell in this version. wink.gif So this is probably it for Duck Bay.

Enjoy,

James

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 9 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #394

Stunning job, James! smile.gif

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 02:19 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.