9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Big storm on Saturn
john_s
post Dec 15 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

The solar system is a happening place this week! I just learned of a major storm in Saturn's northern hemisphere, being monitored by the usual band of talented amateurs. See this site for a list of recent images. Chris Go's site has a particularly nice image.

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 15 2010, 03:58 AM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

That's a big 'un! Is Cassini in any kind of a position (both orbitally & in terms of planning flexibility) to snap a few close-ups?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 15 2010, 08:34 AM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Of course it is in a position, but always remember, Cassini observations are planned months in advance and changes in the observation plan almost never happen (trust me, we tried). Near the end of Rev142, there are a couple of quick imaging opportunities with the WAC but nothing extensive. The storm should be visible during the December 24 observation. The next orbit, Rev143 has many more Saturn observations, so hopefully the storm will stick around till then.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Dec 16 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 530

I hate to ask this question, but I'm really curious. If Cassini had a scan platform, would on-demand retargeting be a lot more feasible? I'm thinking, yes, we'd simply be trading off imaging vs. imaging, not imaging vs. the whole suite. But I don't know enough about the sequencing. Would a spacecraft with a scan platform have a separate sequence for the scan platform that could be modified by itself?

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Dec 16 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 384

Maybe Hubble Space Telescope can snap some nice image of this BIG NEW STORM.
Does any member of UMSF knows somebody in Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI)?

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
john_s
post Dec 16 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Dec 16 2010, 07:55 PM) *
I hate to ask this question, but I'm really curious. If Cassini had a scan platform, would on-demand retargeting be a lot more feasible?

It would certainly be simpler, but nothing in spacecraft operations is simple. There would still be numerous issues to be resolved- what pre-planned observations would be displaced, where would the data be put and when would they be downloaded, thermal implications of the new scan platform orientation would have to be checked, and new command sequences would have to be developed and tested. The Mars Rovers are always responding to new information on ~24 hour timescales, but they and their operations are designed from the ground up to be able to do that. Orbital missions are never that flexible.

John

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Dec 17 2010, 06:30 AM
Post #7

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

This seems to be a re-occurring phenomenon on Saturn - remember the large equatorial outbreak of 1990?

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/r...s/1991/1991/04/

Of course, English actor and comedian Will Hay is famous for (probably) being the first astronomer to observe one of these white spots, back in 1933:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Hay#Private_life

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 25 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1345

Nice shot of Saturn storm taken by Cassini (props to VP): http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...5/W00065990.jpg

Using the Solar System calculator to get the actual time of observation (caption indicated 1.323 M km away) sets it at 12/22/2010 23:40 UTC. This observation seemed like it would be nicely centered on Saturn's sunlight hemisphere and thus nicely visible from Earth.

Using a rotation rate of 10:47 h for Saturn, and propagating forward, here is an EXCEL table observation times where the storm should be centered on Saturn's visible disk on Earth. (Times are UTC and EST). Saturn rises around 3 AM and is better viewed closer to morning as it rises higher in the pre-dawn sky. I put "XXX" for view times where the storm is likely to be best. (Hopefully I got all the calculations right):

Attached File  Saturn_Storm_spotting_from_Earth__Dec_22_2010___Jan_4_2011_.xls ( 23.5K ) Number of downloads: 705

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Dec 25 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #9

Attached Image

Right, I'm off to eat my Christmas dinner... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Dec 25 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Ian R @ Dec 25 2010, 09:19 AM) *
Right, I'm off to eat my Christmas dinner... wink.gif

Thanks for the picture and... MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 25 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

1. Wow. Look at that churned atmosphere! Remarkable.

2. Dude, Santa is like totally ripping that peak! laugh.gif Merry Christmas, all.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
antipode
post Dec 25 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1206

Wow. It looks a *little* bit like Karman vortex street. I wonder what its 'downwind' of smile.gif

P

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 27 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #13

Images from December 24 are hitting the ground and the pages for them are on the JPL raw images page:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=230977

Enjoy!

Even more dramatic in the BL1 filter:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=230973

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 27 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #14

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Fascinating...

Not really my planet, but I've had a go, just messing about really..

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 27 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 523

My quick version using CB2/GRN/BL1:

Attached Image

EDIT: Ugh, that'll teach me to do color composites on a laptop screen... Image replaced with an improved version. I didn't want to use CB2 as full resolution luminance as the storm contrast is quite different from the visible channels, especially in the tail. Too bad it wasn't the GRN that was full res.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 27 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #16

Merciless Robot

Spectacular!!!

I wonder if that thing is lighting up Saturn's magnetosphere as well...looks like it'd be a major lightning generator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Dec 27 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 5458

Here's my take on the storm. Looks pretty massive. Used MT2, GRN, BL1 filters for color and the CB2 filter for luminance to maintain definition.

Edit: Whoops, I posted the wrong file. Fixed it with the version that doesn't look so crummy in the darks. I'll work on a better version in a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EDG
post Dec 27 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5483

It's interesting to see how "untidy" it is compared to say the GRS on Jupiter. Very nice pictures though.

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Dec 28 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 618

Yeah, that was one 'badass' big pigeon!

Next year I'll buy it a present.

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Dec 28 2010, 01:09 AM
Post #20

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

It's interesting to check earlier Cassini images to see if there are any images showing how this new feature formed. I imagine it might have started as a small, bright spot.

Unfortunately there do not seem to be many images of Saturns this month but I found these images from December 5:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=230356
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=230355

A small, bright spot appears in both of the images so it is real. It's located at approximately the 'correct' latitude but I don't know if this is the same feature - this could be determined if I knew the subspacecraft longitude.

I'm aware it's very difficult to change observations that were planned months in advance but this is a *really* interesting event. Hopefully there are enough Saturn observations planned for the next rev. I remember some quick changes to Galileo's observations in response to unexpected events, e.g. the loss of the E16 Europa imaging (some of the originally planned E16 observations were incorparated into the E17 observations) but I imagine the Cassini obervation sequences must be far more complex than Galileo's.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 28 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #21

Yes, that's the same storm, right about the time the RPWS first detected lightning from it.

There are many more Saturn observations during the next orbit, but I have no idea yet on whether they will show the storm, if it is still around.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Dec 28 2010, 05:33 AM
Post #22

Heres a bit clearer version of the storm. False color with stacked images and some noise suppression. Filters, MT2, GRN, BL1, CB2(lum) again.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
antipode
post Dec 28 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #23

Wow blink.gif

So are we seeing high cold[er] cloud tops punching though the normal aerosol/haze layer here?

P

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 28 2010, 07:24 AM
Post #24

Merciless Robot

So it would seem.

Question to anyone knowledgeable: Is the storm drifting within the larger atmosphere like the GRS, or is it fixed in longitude? Reason I ask is that it looks very much like a plume of sorts in this image, with the prevailing winds peeling off material from the top of the emission.

Would be interesting indeed if this is a manifestation of some sort of surface disturbance (whatever the word "surface" might mean on Saturn, if anything...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Dec 28 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4270

Anyone noticed the moon shadow? Not nearly as impressive as the storm but still moderately noteworthy.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 28 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #26

Yep, that's Dione's shadow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 28 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 28 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Question to anyone knowledgeable: Is the storm drifting within the larger atmosphere like the GRS, or is it fixed in longitude? Reason I ask is that it looks very much like a plume of sorts in this image, with the prevailing winds peeling off material from the top of the emission.

From what I've read, it is drifting about 2-2.5 degrees to the west (the head of the storm I mean) each day. So the System III longitude increases by that amount each day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 29 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #28

Ground based image (Celestron C14 I assume): http://www.flickr.com/photos/31167687@N02/5299087913/

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 29 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #29

Merciless Robot

Thanks, VP, and wow, Mike! blink.gif The sheer scale of that thing is just jaw-dropping in this view!

--------------------

+Quote Post
antipode
post Dec 29 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #30

Holy Moly! One of the images/events of the year - and right at the 11th hour too.

Ground based obs are going to produce some spectacular movies as they track the evolution of this baby...

P

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 30 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #31

Well hot diggity-dawg, that EXCEL file posted above worked!!! One of our local amateur astronomers used it to image Saturn and snagged two timepoints:

http://www.raleighastro.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4342

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr. Milton Banan...
post Dec 30 2010, 03:44 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 5587

Hi folks! This is my first post to this board. I happen to be fascinated with violent weather on other planets-in particular, thunderstorms. I'm wondering if this is what this particular storm is-one massive thunderhead or a series of them bunched in some sort of titanic squall line. I note that similar massive thunderheads had appeared on Jupiter, supposedly towering 100 miles above the surrounding clouds. Those storms were also very rare. I hope that Cassini can do radio readings to check for lightning bolts. If there are lightning bolts in this storm, it wouldn't surprise me if some of them were strong enough to incinerate a city! Flying alongside this beast would be a truly terrifying and awe-inspiring experience.

Another thought would be to photograph this storm when it's on Saturn's night side to check for lightning flashes.

It's too bad we can't do some sort of 3-D representation of this storm, so we could check out is vertical structure.

--------------------
"Yes! To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance...was was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it??"

+Quote Post
jekbradbury
post Dec 30 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 4172

A quick animation from the Flickr photos Juramike linked to (greyscale in order that the GIF not be banded or dithered):
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 31 2010, 04:49 AM
Post #34

Here is my new and improved EXCEL spreadsheet for predicting Saturn storm visibility from Earth. It is based on ground-based observations and starts from Dec 10 and projects forward to Jan 24, 2011. (It correlates to images already acquired between Dec 10 and Dec. 27th.)

Assuming a "System II" cloud rotation rate of 10 h 39 min, the storm is tracking westwards 3 min every Saturn rotation. Effectively the storm is rotating around Saturn every 10 h 42 min as viewed from Earth.

The best views will be about 30 minutes or so before the storm is at dead center on Saturn's disk.

Enjoy!

Attached File  Saturn_Storm_spotting_from_Earth__Dec_10_2010___Jan_24_2011__UPDATE_20101230.xls ( 43K ) Number of downloads: 545

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 31 2010, 05:08 AM
Post #35

Saturn in MethanoVision, using RGB[CB2, MT2, CB2xInvert(BL1)] from the December 24th observation:

Attached Image

Neat dark ring around the storm (downwelling, so more methane absorbance?) and some detail of a bright upwelling in the storm center itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Dec 31 2010, 05:24 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 82

Hmmm...

Coincidence? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 31 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #37

Here is an animated sequence showing storm evolution from ground-based observations from December 14th to December 30, 2010:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/5309489179/

See also:
Link to Trevor Barry's website here: http://trevsastronomy.webs.com/apps/photos...albumid=8090267
Link to Anthony Wesley's website here: http://www.acquerra.com.au/astro/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jan 1 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1102

From Rev143 Looking Ahead Cassini should get some more images of the storm between now and Jan 20.

" ISS begins its observations for Rev143 and the new year on January 2 as it performs astrometric observations of Saturn's small, inner moons. During this observation, the camera system will image Polydeuces, Telesto, Pallene, Prometheus, Anthe, and Atlas. Shortly before, the wide-angle camera (WAC) will image Saturn. The large, bright storm that formed in December 2010 in the North Temperate Zone of Saturn should be visible during this observation (though slightly farther to the west than shown in the graphic at right as the storm is slowly drifting to the west by 2.5 degrees per day with respect to the IAU longitude system for Saturn). ISS will take a similar observation on January 6, when the narrow-angle camera (NAC) will observe Prometheus, Anthe, Atlas, Methone, Calypso, Pallene, and Polydeuces. The Saturn WAC images should show the western end of the large northern storm."

There will be other images of Saturn on the 10th and 15th, but the storm will not be imaged unless it has expanded significantly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 5 2011, 03:43 AM
Post #39

Blink animation of Dec 24 and Jan 2 in MethanoVision. The new spot to the E looks "fresher" (more white = less methane absorbance = higher cloudtops). This suggests a hot spot plume from a deeper atmospheric layer and the older storm lobes being carried westward?

Attached Image

[Animated GIF: click to animate]

The MethanoVision Jan 2 image can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/...in/photostream/

--------------------

+Quote Post
FatSplenda
post Jan 5 2011, 05:27 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 5592

QUOTE (john_s @ Dec 16 2010, 03:56 PM) *
It would certainly be simpler, but nothing in spacecraft operations is simple. There would still be numerous issues to be resolved- what pre-planned observations would be displaced, where would the data be put and when would they be downloaded, thermal implications of the new scan platform orientation would have to be checked, and new command sequences would have to be developed and tested. The Mars Rovers are always responding to new information on ~24 hour timescales, but they and their operations are designed from the ground up to be able to do that. Orbital missions are never that flexible.

John

Ah! Finally, someone gets it.
I am part of the tactical uplink operations and engineering team for the Rovers, and I'm glad to see that it's understood how different these things can be!
Based on the little I know about Cassini (I've never been acquainted with its sequencing process either, other than its pointing design and control suite for attitude constraints), I would guess that having a scan platform has just as many pros as cons. The pros would obviously include increased science -- you no longer have to move the whole spacecraft -- and maybe reduced usage of the reaction wheels. Would be tough to say without a high-fidelity analysis there. The cons would be adding more analyses and sequence flight rule checks for the operations team, and wear and tear for the engineering team.
No such thing as a free lunch.
In any case... pretty pics!

--------------------
"There's no Launch Checklist Step 4a: 'Pause and reflect on the enormity of what happens next'."

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jan 5 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 1102

New set down.

Attached Image

[first edit] Can someone explain how to get the image reduced? I thought that happened automatically. I simply inserted address of this image with the insert image button.

[second edit] Image now correctly posted. Thanks ugordan, uploading as attachment works (The attachment function is somewhat counter intuitive as after you UPLOAD, you still have to go into the Manage drop down box and hit +). Thanks also centsworth_II, however, that thread was locked so I couldn't open/edit my old post to see what I had done. I post pictures so infrequently that I forget what I did previously by the time I post again--or maybe I post regularly, but my memory is so poor that I don't remember that either. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 5 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 523

You can't. If it's an inline image like that, it will be automatically reduced if it exceeds a certain size. It's best to either just post a link to it or upload the image as an attachment - saves bandwidth when viewing the thread and automatically produces a thumbnail image.

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jan 5 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Floyd @ Jan 5 2011, 05:57 AM) *
Can someone explain how to get the image reduced?
It looks like you did it here. I guess that's the only way to post a small image that can then be enlarged by the viewer.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 8 2011, 03:42 AM
Post #44

Blink animation of Cassini views of the big storm on Saturn Dec 24 - Jan 2 - Jan 6:

Attached Image

[animated GIF: click to animate]

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 8 2011, 06:52 AM
Post #45

Merciless Robot

Beautiful, Mike; thanks!

Morphologically, this storm seems very similar in many ways to the 'curdled' features often seen trailing behind the GRS, although considerably larger. I find that striking; is it possibly significant?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jan 13 2011, 01:03 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 4270

Additional images from Rev 143.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...5/W00066331.jpg
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...5/W00066332.jpg

Have we seen those ripples extending up toward the equator before?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 13 2011, 01:31 AM
Post #47

There's some beautiful belt detail in the last batch of raws. It is starting to look more like Jupiter.
Gotta figure a creative way to use the MT3, MT2, and CB2 combo set.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 13 2011, 04:59 AM
Post #48

Straightforward combo of HiPassMT2 RGB[MT3,MT2,CB2]. Some channel mixing between the methane transmission layers and a gentle contrast enhancement:
Blue is deep atmosphere (much methane absorbtion), white is upper levels (light reflected before methane can get absorbed) .

Attached Image

Amazing detail in this! The bright upwelling at the upper left of the image seems to have a dark spot in MT2 and MT3 images (eyewall??). Immediately to the SW of the upwelling is a deep blue vortex of descending air. Cloud patterns around this spot show a counterclockwise pattern.

And a shockwave can be seen trailing from the W edge of the storm down through the southern belt almost to northern edge of the the Equatorial belt.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Jan 13 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 655

That's really nice Mike - quite some detail there, and yes, you can clearly see the shockwave propagating back from the storm's leading edge.

Awesome.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 14 2011, 03:20 AM
Post #50

Another shot of the storm on Saturn. Better view around the main "spot":

Attached Image

Taken from 1,000,000 km on January 12, 2011.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 14 2011, 05:18 AM
Post #51

Couldn't resist some interpretation/speculation:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 14 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #52

Guests

Will they or have they changed any future observing sequences to get a better look at the storm?

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jan 17 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #53

Latest colour view and video:

Attached Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suWzhUjvvgk

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 17 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #54

Nice video!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 17 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #55

Grrr... now I have to make my own version of that ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 19 2011, 03:33 AM
Post #56

The site for the Planetary Virtual Observatory and Laboratory has upgraded to a new server.

The new site is: http://www.pvol.ehu.es/pvol/index.jsp?action=iopw

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 21 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #57

Updated spreadsheet for viewing Saturn's storm from Earth. The time is when the W edge of the storm cloud is at the center point on Saturn's disk as seen from Earth.

Spreadsheet good to Feb 28,2011. (Validated using observations from Dec. 14, 2010 to Jan 16, 2011).

Attached File  Saturn_Storm_spotting_from_Earth__Dec_10_2010___Feb_28_2011__UPDATE_20110120.xls ( 62.5K ) Number of downloads: 312

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 25 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #58

I posted a detailed graphic comparing features of Jupiter's Great Red Spot to those of Saturns North Temperate Storm 2010: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/5385677331/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 28 2011, 02:51 AM
Post #59

Animation of Earth-based telescope images of Saturn's storm from December 14, 2010 to January 24, 2011:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/...in/photostream/

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jan 28 2011, 03:33 AM
Post #60

It looks as if Saturn may gain a temporary white band around the planet if the storm continues to expand. Should be very interesting to see the next images of this storm up close from Cassini.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Jan 28 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #61

Member No.: 722

^
That seems to be the pattern: white spots blowing up, and fairly quickly spreading out into a latitudinal zone until it eventually loses its identity.

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
Mr. Milton Banan...
post Jan 30 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #62

So, exactly what kind of storm is this? Is this a massive thunderstorm complex? It would be interesting to really get down to what this is, specifically. If the original spot is a massive collection of thunderclouds, does this mean that they spread out to create a band around the planet?

--------------------
"Yes! To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance...was was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it??"

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 30 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #63

I think there is a massive anticyclonic upwelling from a lower layer, and the white stuff is just the upper level turbulence and shear between belts and zones are making high clouds that are extending and encircling the planet.

Unless the upwelling is able to self-sustain, it'll eventually run out of steam (probably literally!) and the upper clouds will dissipate.

I may be wrong, but I think of this as a hurricane sucking in energy at a lower warmer level (where there is a cyclonic flow we can't observe), then moving it up the central column, where it pushes outwards at the lower cooler level. The whole thing driven by the upper and lower level temperature differential and the transfer of energy via condensation of ....water? ammonia?.

That's my guess...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mr. Milton Banan...
post Jan 30 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #64

I emailed Carolyn Porco to find out if they were going to investigate lightning flashes within that storm, and I was told they would attempt it. I wonder if it would be possible to check for lightning flashes from the night side of Saturn. Because...if this is an upwelling of thunderstorms, I'd imagine there would be some intense lightning there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jan 30 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 530

They "hear" lighting with the radio science instrument, if I recall correctly. As stated earlier, seeing it's a lot tougher with a still camera that they generally point at the daylight side of the planet.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 30 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #66

The RPWS can "listen" for electrical discharges from lightning in the storm, but actually looking for lightning on Saturn on the planet's nightside requires dedicated observations that are planned 6-12 months in advance. Another issue to keep in mind is that the northern hemisphere is currently being illuminated by Saturn's rings, which can complicate lightning detection.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Jan 31 2011, 05:54 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 156

And even the southern hemisphere is somewhat illuminated by forward-scattered light from the rings. (Though maybe it's no worse than night time on Earth illuminated by a full moon - I've never researched it.)

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 6 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 542

It appears the storm now has a ghostly neighbour: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...6/W00066521.jpg

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 6 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #69

Here's a faux-colour version (CB-GRN-BLU), rotated so that north is at the 11 o'clock position:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 7 2011, 02:22 AM
Post #70

Animated blink between Jan 15th and February 4 images in false color [MT3,MT2,CB2]:

Attached Image

I think the "ghost" is a vortex riding the wake of the western edge of the storm front.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 7 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #71

QUOTE (ngunn @ Feb 6 2011, 03:32 PM) *
It appears the storm now has a ghostly neighbour: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...6/W00066521.jpg

No, that's the same storm. It has just now met its tail.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 7 2011, 02:37 AM
Post #72

Whoo-woo! All aboard the storm train! Here's a non-time sequenced animation of the storm, ordered by faked Saturn rotation:

Attached Image

[Animated GIF - click to animate]

Sequence of images is 1/12, 2/4, 1/15, 1/15.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 7 2011, 05:02 AM
Post #73

Merciless Robot

Wow. Damn. blink.gif

Times like this I remember how back in the day the meme was that the outer Solar System was presumed to be nearly static for lack of solar energy...man, talk about a swing & a miss in SO many, many ways that we know about already, and probably a lot more that we don't know yet! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 7 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #74

Guests

Are they going to get any high resolution images of it?

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 25 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #75

Wow!!! blink.gif blink.gif

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=233338

Lots of high resolution IR images down on the Cassini raws page.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 25 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 615

Quick stitch of 21 images. There's a whole lot more images in this sequence if some brave soul wants to make it wink.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 25 2011, 02:14 PM
Post #77

The Poet Dude

Wow... we've had MER Monopoly...

I think we just saw the first CASSINI Jigsaw... laugh.gif

Note to all: I had the idea first, and I'm in the middle of watching THE SOCIAL NETWORK, so no-one get any ideas about suing me in years to come, ok? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 26 2011, 04:21 AM
Post #78

Comparison graphic showing similarities/differences between the Jan 12 and Feb 23 Saturn storm observation:
Attached Image

Full resolution WAC MethanoVision RGB [Mt3, MT2, CB2] of the Feb 23 observation is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/5478172432/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 26 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #79

Just got back from London: drooled over Charlie Brown (not literally), gawped at Ralph's penetrometer -- and even touched a chunk of the Titanic's hull!

Oh, and here's a quick RGB composite from this latest, bountiful, batch of raws:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 26 2011, 09:14 AM
Post #80

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Ian R @ Feb 26 2011, 01:07 AM) *
gawped at Ralph's penetrometer

And that's the flight model. The flight-spare is sat on Titan smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 26 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #81

Or embedded in Titan, I suppose! biggrin.gif

...and here's RGB storm composite number two:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 27 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #82

Saturn RGB[RED,GRN, BL1] composite Feb 25, 2011. Details enhanced with a HiPass filtered overlay of the CB2 IRP90 image:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 27 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #83

Composite of images in the CB2 IR band taken from Feb 23-25, 2011 coordinated and stacked to show the full length and features of the massive storm:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 27 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #84

Guests

In terms of scale how does this storm compare to those that have previously appeared?

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 28 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #85

Nice work Mike! smile.gif

Here's a false-colour NAC view of the head of the storm (MT2/CB2/BL1):

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 28 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #86

Another WAC, RGB view, with one of the moons (Enceladus?) just lurking below the left ansae:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 28 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #87

Guests

Are the clouds in the storm moving fast enough to cause some motion blur in the images?

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=234025

If you take a look at that image, the cloud features on the left have sharp boundaries, the clouds in the storm look very soft - like motion blur?

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 28 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #88

Prequel to my last post:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
john_s
post Mar 1 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #89

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Mar 1 2011, 12:02 AM) *
Are the clouds in the storm moving fast enough to cause some motion blur in the images?

It sure *looks* like motion blur, but I don't think the numbers work out. The resolution of that image is about 20 km/pixel, and typical Cassini ISS exposure times for sunlit objects are maybe 1/100th to 1/10th of a second. So to get a couple of pixels of blur would require cloud speeds of 400 - 4000 kilometers/second- the clouds would exceed escape velocity.

John

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 1 2011, 02:04 AM
Post #90

CB2 frames are 3.2 seconds exposures. MT frames are longer IIRC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 1 2011, 02:48 AM
Post #91

Random question: But why are the MT3 images usually smaller?

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 1 2011, 04:18 AM
Post #92

To improve signal to noise. Not a lot of reflected light at that wavelength.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 1 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #93

RGB[MT3,MT2,CB2] composite of 18 contrast-adjusted images from the NAC view of the storm complex.

Attached Image

Full resolution (and there is lots of neat swirly detail) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/5488190012/

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Mar 1 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 655

^ Oh that's a work of art!

Beautiful.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Mar 1 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #95

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Mar 1 2011, 02:04 AM) *
CB2 frames are 3.2 seconds exposures. MT frames are longer IIRC.

Mea culpa! Still, for 4 second exposures you'd need 10 km/sec (22,000 mph) winds to blur by a couple of pixels, so I think we still have to conclude that the storm clouds are intrinsically "blurry"- overlying high cirrus, maybe?

John

+Quote Post
machi
post Mar 1 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (Juramike @ Mar 1 2011, 06:48 AM) *
RGB[MT3,MT2,CB2] composite of 18 contrast-adjusted images from the NAC view of the storm complex.

"Oh that's a work of art!"

Impressionism? smile.gif
Simply fantastic, I want this "painting" on the wall!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Mar 2 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 618

Ditto! blink.gif
I'd love to sneak it onto the wall, unlabeled, at MOMA, and overhear it being discussed by the art crowd.

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Mar 5 2011, 06:57 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 615

Just for fun smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 5 2011, 07:21 AM
Post #99

The Poet Dude

Gorgeous! I started making that myself but halfway along the strip I was getting one of those headaches you get after eating ice cream too quickly... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
toddbronco2
post Mar 7 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 5281

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Mar 4 2011, 10:57 PM) *
Just for fun smile.gif

Thanks Astro0! I was hoping somebody would put together a panoramic view of the storm from Cassini's recent images

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.