Phoenix has landed!
ElkGroveDan
post May 25 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Successful touchdown

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Bill Harris
post May 26 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (nprev @ May 25 2008, 09:31 PM) *
I dunno. I mentioned mine dumps on another thread, and they sure look like this in Butte, MT: no coherent pattern in rock shapes, lots of deposition of same on or near frost heave lines (it gets VERY cold there in the winter, and unexpectedly warm in the summer). I'd say that a lot of the rocks we see are being excavated by frost heaves over time.
I'd guess that we're seeing frost heave, plus wind deflation, plus ejecta from the crater to the east. Some pebbles look angular and some rounded. The frost polygons are reminescent of parts of Meridiani, no? Different origin, similar erosional processes.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
imipak
post May 26 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 617

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ May 26 2008, 01:21 PM) *
The frost polygons are reminescent of parts of Meridiani, no? Different origin, similar erosional processes.

It does look reminiscent of the etched terrain, but I think the scales are different. This is flatter than Meridiani, and the vertical relief of each polygon looks pretty invariant. So what appears to be a sea of dune crests are really the darker sides of the polygons. My estimate last night of 30-50cm height looks to be a 10x over-estimate in the cold light of, er, early afternoon. I can't wait for anaglyphs showing the arm out, to provide scale. As to erosional processes - no, I don't think there's CO2 frost cracking / exfoliation at Meridiani, just aeolian erosion caused by slow moving airborne fines and saltation.

The darker fine material along the edges of the polygons where they slope downwards towards the "cracks", has a crust-like appearance in places. Presumably that's fine dust eroded from the pebbles, and it's preferentially sorted onto the sides of the "valleys" by wind (?)

I have to say I'm quite happy Teshiener won't have to make route maps by deciphering which nearly identical dune we're parked next to today... that whole slog down to Erebus and Beagle was purgatory to me smile.gif

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3

Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 09:55 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.