IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Where No Man, Rover, Nor Impactor Has Gone Before
MiniTES
post Jul 5 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 177

How many of you here are Star Trek fans? I've loved watching the original for as long as I can remember.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars." - Edward Young
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
edstrick
post Jul 6 2005, 07:17 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 174

Since radio SF depended on words, not visuals, it was nearly as immune to hollywood's "IF IT LOOKS KEWL, DO IT" mentality, which ultimately results in such farces as Bruce Willis in "Armagodawful"

"Mission to Mars" was lame, bad, corny SciFi, but "Armagodawful" was far worse: it was "Skiffy".

That said, it had 3 things <sort of> going for it.

1.) The plot made sense. Sort of. In a testosterone overdosed 13 year old kid's level. I've seen movies that made a LOT less sense.

2.) No matter how meaningless they were, the special effects never looked cheap and cheesy.

3.) The impact on Paris was actually done *RIGHT*... with a view of the ejecta curtain rushing toward the observer on a cathedral's roof <I think> as was the aerial view of the crater superimposed on a blasted cityscape.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jul 6 2005, 08:23 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15

I grew up as a science fiction fan -- the town library in Normal, IL had a "young people's" section, and I had devoured its science fiction shelves by the time I was eight. I got an adult library card at age 10 and had read Welles and Verne, as well as Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke, by the time I was 11. I had read and enjoyed everything from space opera to cutting-edge speculative fiction by such writers as Ellison and Dick.

I had watched all of the awful sci-fi on TV (and some of the better stuff available at the movies) since I was a small child. I remember Fireball XL-5 (although I was a bigger fan of "Supercar"). My favorite science fiction TV show when I was little was a syndicated piece called "Men Into Space." It was hard sf, following the adventures of one Colonel McCauley as he spearheaded America's first forays into space. I believe it was produced in the late 1950s.

And then, when I was a month and a half short of my 11th birthday, Star Trek premiered. I remember watching the very first episode aired, "The Man Trap," and thinking that this show had some real potential. It was good, entertaining space opera from the get-go, and it had a structure that allowed for the exploration of some fairly intelligent science fiction themes. I was hopeful.

While there were some really poorly-written episodes, there were also some real gems, and I looked forward to seeing Star Trek every week as I grew up. Even the third season, when Roddenberry had abandoned the project and it sank to some new lows, it was still a fun and entertaining show.

And then, just a couple of months after the final original episode of Star Trek was aired, men first walked on the Moon. It seemed appropriate -- we had graduated from the fantasy of space exploration to the reality of men exploring other planets.

We didn't need Star Trek any more -- from now on, we'd be doing it for real.

Yeah, right.

Pardon me while I hunt through my 377 channels for an old Star Trek re-run... *sigh*...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 6 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 239

I think we're all demonstrating the old adage that the Golden Age of Science-Fiction is...

...twelve!

For my sins, I have been and remain a card-carrying SF Fan, and will be attending WorldCon in Glasgow in August (as I live in Glasgow, it's not exactly hard work getting there, though I confess that I loathe the venue with a passion!). Is anyone else from this august assemblage liable to attend, and - if so - fancy a bheer?

Oh, and before anyone asks, I'm *not* the much-loved SF author of the same name, but am merely the Evil Fake Bob Shaw (don't ask).

My e-mail address is: shaw_bob@hotmail.com

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- MiniTES   Where No Man, Rover, Nor Impactor Has Gone Before   Jul 5 2005, 02:58 AM
- - dilo   QUOTE (MiniTES @ Jul 5 2005, 02:58 AM)How man...   Jul 5 2005, 04:22 AM
- - MizarKey   I became a fan of Star Trek at 15. I remember cat...   Jul 5 2005, 07:10 AM
- - edstrick   My brother saw the Star Trek pilot "The Cage...   Jul 5 2005, 07:35 AM
|- - Bob Shaw   Although much TV SF was very poor (apart from Fire...   Jul 6 2005, 12:57 AM
- - Phil Stooke   Hey Bob, I saw Fireball XL5 too... yes, it was fun...   Jul 6 2005, 03:42 AM
|- - RedSky   QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 5 2005, 10:42 PM)Hey...   Jul 22 2005, 04:33 PM
- - edstrick   Since radio SF depended on words, not visuals, it ...   Jul 6 2005, 07:17 AM
|- - dvandorn   I grew up as a science fiction fan -- the town lib...   Jul 6 2005, 08:23 AM
|- - Bob Shaw   I think we're all demonstrating the old adage ...   Jul 6 2005, 11:49 AM
- - edstrick   I recently picked up a used boxed DVD set of the c...   Jul 6 2005, 08:57 AM
|- - MiniTES   QUOTE (edstrick @ Jul 6 2005, 08:57 AM)I rece...   Jul 6 2005, 09:21 PM
- - edstrick   Bob Shaw said: I think we're all demonstrating...   Jul 7 2005, 01:47 AM
|- - tedstryk   I must admit that I have never been able to stomac...   Jul 7 2005, 02:48 AM
|- - Bob Shaw   QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jul 7 2005, 03:48 AM)I must...   Jul 7 2005, 12:13 PM
- - ilbasso   I started off with Fireball XL-5, too. I have a b...   Jul 7 2005, 01:52 PM
|- - dvandorn   QUOTE (ilbasso @ Jul 7 2005, 08:52 AM)I was d...   Jul 8 2005, 07:03 AM
|- - Bob Shaw   So: Is *nobody* other than yours truly going to Wo...   Jul 23 2005, 01:02 AM
|- - Bob Shaw   For what it's worth, if any of you folk are at...   Aug 5 2005, 02:55 PM
|- - DDAVIS   [quote=Bob Shaw,Aug 5 2005, 02:55 PM] For what it...   Aug 5 2005, 10:07 PM
|- - Bob Shaw   Don: Sadly, the Real Bob Shaw died not long aft...   Aug 7 2005, 05:44 PM
- - edstrick   Gentlemen. You can't fight in here... This is...   Jul 8 2005, 04:45 AM
|- - dvandorn   Thank you, President Muffley. -the other Doug   Jul 8 2005, 06:51 AM
- - RedSky   ... Oh... and here's the memorable closing son...   Jul 22 2005, 04:41 PM
- - edstrick   "So: Is *nobody* other than yours truly going...   Jul 23 2005, 08:01 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2024 - 04:36 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.