IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Instrument and Mechanical Status Approaching Sol 2000
JayB
post Jul 1 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4611

I've just finished re-reading Roving Mars for the 3rd or 4th time and it's still a brilliant insight on to all the hard work and crazy things that went wrong and right to get the girls to Mars and then their story for the first sols on Mars. It's fun to read about the debate on how long to keep Oppy in Eagle (6 or 10 days... they chose 6 since 10 was 1/4 of the science mission available after standup wink.gif and the worries about cracking the beam splitter on miniTES with deep sleep. How dust would kill them both by sol 200...

I thought is might be a good idea to take an inventory of the girls as Spirit approaches 2000 sols (1953 at time of post)

To take a quote from one of my favorite movies

"Let's look at this thing from a... um, from a standpoint of status. What do we got on the spacecraft that's good?" (Gene Kranz/Ed Harris Apollo 13)

(we have an amazing amount that IS)

MI - seems pretty good on both rovers. Little or no dust contamination
RAT - Main grinding tool unusable on both. Brushes?
APXS - ???
miniTES - OK on Spirit, unusable on Oppy due to dust contamination of mirror in periscope (currently trying to clear by leaving open to elements)
Mossbauer - Approaching half life of radiation source so sensing takes twice as long (?)
IDD - Spirit OK, Oppy has shoulder seizure, stuck heater switch
Pancam - Both OK
Navcam - Spirit OK, Oppy seems to have some dust
FHaz Cam - Both a bit dusty (?)
Rhaz Cam - Both a bit dusty (?)
Wheels - Spirit RF seized, Oppy RF elevated currents moderated by rest and backward driving.
Power- Spirit ~900whr Oppy ~450whr

Please correct mistakes and update as you can...

oh..btw as of this post Spirit is stuck at Troy. I'm betting we'll be roving again by 2000 wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
climber
post Jul 2 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

I guess that computers are both ok. Any issues on heaters or other critical but "less" mechanical parts?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 10:04 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.