Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MTO Cancelled
djellison
post Jul 21 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Just listening to the MRO conference. Highlights included...

1) 5.4 Mbits is the highest MRO data rate (not the 4 I thought)
2) An extra 50-ish KG of fuel puts it's low-altitude orbit life thru to the next decade.
3) MTO HAS BEEN CANCELLED

What the HELL!

They say that MSL can still do its mission with just MRO as it's relay capacity will suffice.

But that means less science data during an MRO extension sad.gif

Seems a bit short sighted.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jul 26 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #2

Guests

In reply:

(1) I find that $55 billion price tag for Mars Direct about as plausible as the original $8 billion price tag for ISS, and for much the same reason. I take for granted that the cost on this thing will rapidly explode once it actually gets underway -- and the staggering size and complexity needed even for a 6-man ship according to the latest studies backs me up. See the documents from the first two Mars Strategic Roadmap meetings:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/apio/ppt/mar...man_studies.ppt

(2) Even assuming that you can get support for manned Mars landing expeditions that would ONLY look for fossils and restrain themselves from poking into any sort of environment that might conceivably contain extant Martian life -- which is extremely doubtful -- the dangers of their accidentally contaminating such an extant biosphere would be huge. And just how likely is it in any case that we can get support for such a hugely expensive manned fossil hunt UNLESS we already have strong evidence for Martian fossils from robot explorers?

Moreover, by an overwhelming margin, the most valuable fossil evidence we're likely to find on Mars is not of the shape of Martian microbes -- microbes, for elementary physical/chemical reasons, are likely to have the same shapes on any world -- but of their biochemistry. It's the variations in that, compared with Earth germs, that will make extraterrestrial life interesting -- and, given the great difficulties in interpreting whether apparent fossilized microbes even on Earth are really biological or are just copycat nonliving mineral formations, such preserved biochemical evidence may very well be necessary even to determine that any possible martian fossils really ARE fossils. But it is also precisely this kind of delicate, trace organic-chemical fossil evidence that will be disastrously contaminated at the landing site of any manned Mars lander.

(One point made clear in the testimony of NASA officials at the first Mars Roadmap meeting is that any manned Mars landing expeditions will be radically different in overall concept from our Apollo visions of spacesuited explorers tromping around the landscape. Given both the dangers of forward and back-contamination, and the greater difficulty in developing spacesuits and backpacks that are easy to wear in the greater Martian gravity, any landed Mars crew will do as much of their work as possible, even after landing, using robots remote-controlled from their home base or from the presurized cabins of their rovers. Actually suited-up EVAs will be limited to the minimum necessary. But you could run those robots just as well from Mars orbit.)

(3) As an Earth-orbital training ground for manned deep space ships, the ISS is absolutely ludicrous. It must be constantly resupplied; it will be very hard to build any closed-cycle, self-reliant (and leakproof) life-support system into it -- and in any case any such systems (absolutely crucial for manned deep space ships) can be tested on the ground, BETTTER, for literally about 0.1% of the cost of testing them on the ISS.

Indeed, the only aspect of manned deep-space flight for which any kind of Earth-orbital facility might be useful is to determine the effectiveness of various levels of artificial gravity in fending off the harmful effects of 0-G. But the ISS can never be equipped with artificial gravity -- unless you count the Centrifuge Module that Japan is building for it, which npw seems very likely to get kicked completely off the ISS due to NASA's funding oroblems, and whose usefulness in understanding the effects of low-G on humans themselves is extremely limited anyway. By far the best way to test that is simply to put a simulated manned-deep space ship cabin, spun up to provide some level of artificial gravity, into Earth orbit and simply put a crew on that.

(4) I didn't mean to say that NASA is actually officially saying that "science is unimportant in manned spaceflight" -- although I was at one meeting at NASA's 2004 Astrobiology Conference at Ames Research Center, at which a group of scientists hd been ordered to come up with (so help me God)strong "astrobiological" justifications for manned LUNAR exploration. Sean O'Keefe informed them threateningly in a message that the Great Leader was determined to fly a manned lunar program in any case -- and that, if the scientific community didn't get with the program and start coming up with official scientific justifications for it, the Great Leader would order it flown WITHOUT any science onboard. (Since, by now, the Bush Administration's ability to threaten people was already on a rapid downhill slide, the scientists literally jeered this announcement.)

But what I was really saying is simply that the "scientific" and "commercial" justifications being put forward by both the White House and Congress for NASA's manned program are at this point so ridiculously lame, pathetic and transparent that it's clear that not even they really expect anyone to believe them -- they're just going through the motions of a standard political Kabuki Play as the obligatory (if transparent) fig leaf for a pure pork program. Certainly this is entirely the case with Shuttle/Station,; the arguments for a return to the Moon are just as ridiculous when looked at, and not even Bush dares to push something as expensive as a manned Mars expedition on us at this point.

(5) Regarding a manned Moon program as an expensive blind alley when it comes to sending men to Mars: the Mars Roadmap group came close to a rebellion on the third day of its first meeting for precisely this reason. O'Keefe showed up in person at the start of the first day (I was there) and blew threateningly through his mustache that they were under no circumstances to actually question the advisibility of any part of the Great Leader's manned program; theirs was but to suggest the best way to carry it out. But since it was plain to everyone that a manned lunar program is probbly just a very expensive side distraction from a manned Mars program, the Committee (led, in the rebellion, by Tom Young and Sally Ride) nevertheless on the third day came close to issuing a statement to that effect -- and I wrote it up in my SpaceDaily piece on the meeting. Unfortunately, by the time the Committee actually isssued its preliminary Roadmap, enough additional arms had been twisted that they just ended up sticking in a brief, bland statement that the manned lunar program might provide useful experience for a manned Mars program, without going into any significant detail as to what such experience might be: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/apio/pdf/mars/mars_roadmap.pdf (pg. 29-30). Every one of the five listed areas in which manned lunar exploration might be useful in acquiring experience for manned Mars expeditions could probably be achieved much more cheaply in other ways.

And that is also the conclusion reached by the IAA's carefully thought-out, incremental 2004 plan for manned deep space flight ( http://www.iaanet.org/p_papers/exploringspace.pdf ) -- in which the movement is toward manned deep-space expeditions over longer and longer distances (first the Earth-Sun L-2 point, then near-Earth asteroids, and finally Mars), and it specified that a manned lunar base, while quite possible to incorporate into the program, is actually a side branch whose relevance to manned Mars mission planning is seriously doubtful. (Pg. 56, 63 and 69.) The Roadmap Committee was very interested in this report and indeed incorporated it into their background briefing material.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- djellison   MTO Cancelled   Jul 21 2005, 06:30 PM
- - um3k   RE: MTO Cancelled   Jul 21 2005, 06:35 PM
- - Redstone   Pando hinted at this. I had no idea, although I ne...   Jul 21 2005, 08:42 PM
- - djellison   Quite simply - for MSL to have any hope in hell of...   Jul 21 2005, 08:58 PM
- - vjkane2000   Griffin is remaking the priorities in the science ...   Jul 21 2005, 09:16 PM
- - lyford   I think there goes my crazy dream of a fleet of Tu...   Jul 21 2005, 11:34 PM
|- - MiniTES   I'm a big supporter of Griffin ("rather d...   Jul 22 2005, 12:16 AM
- - Analyst   There goes the James Cameron mars movie. But: - ...   Jul 22 2005, 12:05 PM
- - djellison   MTO, because of being in a higher orbit - would ha...   Jul 22 2005, 12:29 PM
- - Analyst   I know, but hey, MPF transmitted 2 GBits in the wh...   Jul 22 2005, 12:50 PM
|- - djellison   QUOTE (Analyst @ Jul 22 2005, 12:50 PM)Hey, w...   Jul 22 2005, 12:53 PM
- - Analyst   Contrary to popular mythology I don't see the ...   Jul 22 2005, 01:49 PM
- - Cugel   My two points of concern here: 1. As MSL does not...   Jul 22 2005, 03:28 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   I've just rechecked my notes from the January ...   Jul 22 2005, 05:36 PM
|- - MiniTES   QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jul 22 2005, 05:36 PM)I...   Jul 22 2005, 06:27 PM
- - Analyst   Now the "fun" ends. From www.nasawatch.c...   Jul 22 2005, 07:05 PM
- - djellison   Relay capacity guestimates... Odyssey : 0.1 - 0.4...   Jul 22 2005, 07:38 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   The central loss from the absence of MTO is that i...   Jul 22 2005, 11:42 PM
|- - Bob Shaw   Bruce: I have the sense that Mike Griffin's h...   Jul 23 2005, 12:49 AM
|- - MiniTES   QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jul 22 2005, 11:42 PM).....   Jul 24 2005, 10:27 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   Yeah, but at what cost compared to the serious sci...   Jul 25 2005, 01:10 AM
|- - MiniTES   QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jul 25 2005, 01:10 AM)Ye...   Jul 25 2005, 11:01 AM
|- - MiniTES   But I do agree with you that these cuts are a wast...   Jul 25 2005, 01:46 PM
|- - tty   QUOTE (MiniTES @ Jul 25 2005, 03:46 PM)The co...   Jul 25 2005, 06:36 PM
- - dvandorn   I disagree with the postulate that the ISS is enti...   Jul 25 2005, 08:00 PM
|- - Mark6   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 25 2005, 08:00 PM)But, ...   Jul 25 2005, 08:56 PM
|- - djellison   QUOTE (Mark6 @ Jul 25 2005, 08:56 PM)Sorry, b...   Jul 25 2005, 10:53 PM
- - dvandorn   Oh, and for mini-TES' question -- Bruce was re...   Jul 25 2005, 08:12 PM
|- - MiniTES   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 25 2005, 08:12 PM)Oh, a...   Jul 26 2005, 12:09 AM
- - BruceMoomaw   In reply: (1) I find that $55 billion price...   Jul 26 2005, 02:33 AM
|- - dvandorn   I'm in complete agreement with the IAA. I thi...   Jul 26 2005, 06:34 AM
|- - slinted   QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jul 25 2005, 06:33 PM)Gi...   Jul 26 2005, 09:41 AM
|- - Roly   Does anyone know if there are plans to optimize wh...   Aug 13 2005, 03:52 AM
- - dvandorn   Reply to Bruce: The technologies required for the...   Jul 26 2005, 06:55 AM
- - dvandorn   All I can say about the need for a fatter data pip...   Aug 13 2005, 07:35 AM
- - SigurRosFan   MRO cancelled - okay. But was is this? MSTO (Mars ...   Apr 20 2006, 10:17 AM
- - BruceMoomaw   MSTO's existence was another thing first revea...   Apr 20 2006, 10:57 AM
- - Analyst   This sounds like a solid plan. But they need more ...   Apr 20 2006, 11:37 AM
- - BruceMoomaw   The nature of the 2016 mission is now hotly debate...   Apr 20 2006, 12:15 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   A quick scan of the MSTO science definition report...   Apr 20 2006, 12:33 PM
- - Spacely   Bruce, it seems like when we finally do get around...   Apr 20 2006, 04:18 PM
- - Mariner9   I'm not Bruce, but to throw in my ten cents it...   Apr 20 2006, 05:12 PM
- - Spacely   And let's not forget how naive those '05-0...   Apr 20 2006, 06:58 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   I feel the same way -- sample-return missions will...   Apr 20 2006, 08:26 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   I've finished reading MEPAG's recommendati...   Apr 21 2006, 07:02 AM
- - BruceMoomaw   I've been looking more into how good various t...   Apr 24 2006, 02:15 AM
- - nprev   Sorry to ressurrect a truly ancient thread, but ca...   Feb 13 2007, 04:26 AM
- - monitorlizard   nprev, this is an abstract in its entirety from SP...   Feb 28 2007, 07:06 PM
- - nprev   Exactly what I needed...thanks, Monitor!   Mar 1 2007, 04:33 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 10:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.