IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Complete Science Data Of Galileo Probe Mission?
Dominik
post Sep 8 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 484

Hello there.

I've got a question about the science data of the galileo probe mission (Plunge into jupiters atmosphere).

Is it possible to download the complete dataset of the mission? If yes, where can I find those data? I've tried to find them with google, but I found nothing. sad.gif

Thx for help...

(Sorry for my bad english. I don't use it so often, because I'm from germany wink.gif)

--------------------
--- Under Construction ---
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
bkellysky
post Jan 16 2018, 02:54 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4103

Did anyone put together an animation of the data from the Galileo Probe, like was done for Huygens' plunge into Saturn's atmosphere?

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 16 2018, 04:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 321

The Galileo Probe took no images, so it doesn't have any equivalent data. We have a time/depth/pressure profile, which probably makes a better graph than it does video.

It appears clear, in retrospect, that the GP hit a relatively dry, clear, cloudless patch in Jupiter's atmosphere. A camera might have seen nothing clear whatsoever once it had descended sufficiently. It could have been all blue and gray haze.

+Quote Post
bkellysky
post Jan 16 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4103

Thank you, JRehling, for the note.
I know the Galileo Probe didn't take photos, so maybe a single (long!) graph may be enough.
I haven't seen that so far, but yahoo searches don't find lots of stuff that's out there, perhaps it's in a technical paper.
I had hoped there would be more data to display from the variety of instruments, but I'm guessing, with the slow bit rate, the data may be better as a graph than an animation. We had lots of fun with the Huygens movie - projected it on a three-story high wall in our drill floor for Aerospace Education at Civil Air Patrol!

Thanks!
bob

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 16 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 321

That sounds like a great way to experience it, Bob!

This graph seems to hit the highlights of what the GP found:

http://ircamera.as.arizona.edu/Astr2016/text/sminew.jpg

The chart here has the composition as measured by GP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of...cal_composition

The way it's presented, you have to do some math to find the composition by volume / partial pressure. Everything except the inert gases will be found almost always as the simplest compound with hydrogen, e.g., nitrogen as NH3.

Juno has found that the values found by probing a single location may in many cases differ from other locations. On Earth, this is true for the local prevalence of water, which we parcel out as the variable known as humidity and speak of the relatively constant composition of "dry air." On Jupiter, it looks like NH3 and H2O, at least, both vary considerably with location.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2024 - 03:00 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.