IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Dust Storm
sranderson
post Oct 18 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 386

Spaceweather (www.spaceweather.com) is reporting a dust storm on Mars visible in amateur telescopes. Hope we don't get too much dust-fall on the solar panels.... unsure.gif

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mike
post Nov 18 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 86

Maybe we should land a rover that has nothing but ball-topped poles of varying heights and see what ends up plastered to them as the sols pass. Call it "Maybe We'll Get Lucky".

It looks to me like that splat was created from a single collision, and that whatever hit it wasn't dense enough to damage the pole in any noticeable way.. Salty snowball?

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Nov 18 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 430

Do students and others still use the sundials to tell the local time of day on Mars with? I haven't heard much about that since they first landed.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Nov 18 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Nov 18 2005, 11:04 AM)
Do students and others still use the sundials to tell the local time of day on Mars with?  I haven't heard much about that since they first landed.

Visit the following URL to learn more about Sundial : Sundial details

1) It is used to calibrate and adjust colors of PANCAM (4 different colors on the corners)
2) It is used to see the martian's sky color (two halph circle mirror plates on the border)
3) To track the time on Mars watch by its star corona on the bottom of the pole. (only used by students).

The sundials, positioned on each rover's rear solar panel, will help the Athena team adjust the rovers' panoramic cameras. Scientists will use the colored blocks in the corners of each sundial to calibrate the color in images of the landscape so that Mars can be seen in its true colors. And pictures of the shadows cast by a sundial's center post, or gnomon, will allow adjustments for brightness.

"On Mars, you don't know what color anything is," said Nye. "The Martian sky is so pink that it makes everything pink, and so you want to know if the object you're looking at is really pink or if it's pink light bouncing off the sky."

The grayscale calibration rings surrounding the gnomon represent the orbits of Mars and Earth, with two dots representing the planets. A keen observer might note that the dots are in the positions that Mars and Earth would have been in at the time of the Surveyor landing.

Each sundial is inscribed with the words "Two Worlds, One Sun" and bears the name "Mars" in 17 languages, including Bengali, Inuktituk, Lingala and Malay-Indonesian, as well as ancient Sumerian and Mayan. Four gold panels along the sides of the sundials are inscribed with stick-figure drawings of people, as well as a message to future Mars explorers:

"People launched this spacecraft from Earth in our year 2003. It arrived on Mars in 2004. We built its instruments to study the Martian environment and to look for signs of life. We used this post and these patterns to adjust our cameras and as a sundial to reckon the passage of time. The drawings and words represent the people of Earth. We sent this craft in peace to learn about Mars' past and about our future. To those who visit here, we wish a safe journey and the joy of discovery."

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Nov 18 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 430

It looks like the dust storm is starting to fade. This image is posted here with permission.

I wonder why the 1971 storm was global and not any since?

Attached Image

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- sranderson   Dust Storm   Oct 18 2005, 05:47 PM
- - RNeuhaus   The pictures on Sundial are of different filters: ...   Nov 18 2005, 03:32 PM
- - mike   Maybe we should land a rover that has nothing but ...   Nov 18 2005, 04:01 PM
|- - ljk4-1   Do students and others still use the sundials to t...   Nov 18 2005, 04:04 PM
|- - RNeuhaus   QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Nov 18 2005, 11:04 AM)Do...   Nov 18 2005, 04:42 PM
|- - ljk4-1   It looks like the dust storm is starting to fade. ...   Nov 18 2005, 06:59 PM
- - dot.dk   Indeed the dust storm is over and a fresh new clea...   Nov 18 2005, 08:47 PM
|- - helvick   720 watt hours is nice and healthy, the cleaning e...   Nov 18 2005, 10:02 PM
|- - Nirgal   QUOTE (helvick @ Nov 19 2005, 12:02 AM)720 wa...   Nov 18 2005, 10:22 PM
|- - helvick   QUOTE (Nirgal @ Nov 18 2005, 11:22 PM)helvick...   Nov 18 2005, 11:41 PM
|- - antoniseb   QUOTE (helvick @ Nov 18 2005, 06:41 PM)That i...   Nov 18 2005, 11:47 PM
||- - helvick   QUOTE (antoniseb @ Nov 19 2005, 12:47 AM)I ha...   Nov 19 2005, 12:58 AM
|- - ElkGroveDan   QUOTE (helvick @ Nov 18 2005, 11:41 PM)That i...   Nov 18 2005, 11:51 PM
|- - bergadder   QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 18 2005, 06:51 PM)He...   Nov 19 2005, 12:07 AM
|- - Marcel   QUOTE (bergadder @ Nov 19 2005, 12:07 AM)In t...   Nov 21 2005, 08:42 AM
- - TheChemist   I could be wrong, but straight from memory I think...   Nov 19 2005, 12:04 AM
- - lyford   I believe you are referring to these Martian pigeo...   Nov 19 2005, 08:49 PM
- - Bill Harris   On dust devils-- or the failure to see them-- at M...   Nov 21 2005, 04:10 AM
|- - dvandorn   QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 20 2005, 10:10 PM)On...   Nov 21 2005, 01:31 PM
- - Phil Stooke   I'm not as sceptical as the other Doug (in thi...   Nov 21 2005, 02:28 PM
- - RNeuhaus   I think that the differences between the Dust Devi...   Nov 21 2005, 03:28 PM
- - Bill Harris   Admittedly, some streaks are jpg artifacts and win...   Nov 21 2005, 04:44 PM
2 Pages V  < 1 2

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 10:40 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.