IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New Horizon Instrument Capabilities
Tom Tamlyn
post Jan 18 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 424

During the press conference recorded on January 15 (rebroadcasted on NASA TV this morning), several of the New Horizons instruments have been described as the most capable ever carried for a planetary reconnaissance. For "reconnaissance" I guess we should understand "fly-by," i.e., the instruments are more powerful than those carried by the Pioneers & Voyagers.

It would be interesting to learn how they compare with the corresponding instruments on Cassini & Galileo, with their much higher payloads.

TTT

Edit: I just heard Craig Covault from Aviation Week catch this issue, but he didn't pursue the comparison beyond Voyager & Pioneer.

This post has been edited by Tom Tamlyn: Jan 18 2006, 06:08 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
edstrick
post Jan 21 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 174

Voyager 1 would not have been retargeted for Pluto even if they hadn't "done" Titan, because a very high mission requirement for the mission was radio occultation studies of the rings, which (unless my memory has failed) was done by Voyager 1 and could not be done by 2 because of it's trajectory.

A Voyager would have done about as well at Pluto as they did at Triton which was amazingly well, considering the light levels. But the spectrometers did not do nearly as well as the cameras, especially the infrared one. The low temperatures shifted the peak emission to longer wavelengths, and required much longer integration times to get any data.

If a Voyager had done Pluto, unless Pluto's hiding a "spectacular" we can't guess now, we'd be sending the first Neptune orbiter out, probably, though maybe not for a few more years.

Also.. remember.. While Voyager 2 did the "grand tour", it was not designed for it. The originally planned mission was -- without a formal project name, it never got that far -- TOPS The Outer Planets Spacecraft. Designed with more redundancy, and instruments designed to work better beyond Saturn, there were ideally going to be 3, with the third one going on to Pluto. It was way $$$, and got descoped down to Mariner Jupiter Saturn, later renamed Voyager. I don't recall what they were going to launch it on, as Voyagers required the Titan 3, which was our largest launch vehicle by the time they flew, and I assume TOPS was going to be heavier.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 02:57 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.