IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Saturn's bared mini-moons
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 29 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Guests

There is a new Cassini-related paper by Tiscareno et al. (and accompanying News and Views piece by Spahn and Schmidt) in the March 30, 2006, issue of Nature. See also the Editor's Summary: Propelled into the limelight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 30 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

This kind of discovery is one of the reasons why I'm in favor of closer and closer ring dives as Cassini nears the end of it's mission, sort of the way they got bolder and bolder with Galileo near Io as its days were numbered.

(...assuming of course the orbital mechanics would allow it. I put away my slide rule long ago, so I'll leave it up to you guys who crunch numbers for a living.)

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Mar 30 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Mar 30 2006, 02:27 AM) *
This kind of discovery is one of the reasons why I'm in favor of closer and closer ring dives as Cassini nears the end of it's mission, sort of the way they got bolder and bolder with Galileo near Io as its days were numbered.

(...assuming of course the orbital mechanics would allow it. I put away my slide rule long ago, so I'll leave it up to you guys who crunch numbers for a living.)

With my opinion, the best "last" orbit for Cassini would be
-periastron just grazing Saturn atmosphere
-apoastron lower than Enceladus (to avoid biological contamination)
-crossing the ring plane at periastron, just above saturn atmosphere, the place where there are the less particules (not stable in this place).
-with a very lonw inclination, so that it will graze the rings throughout their width.

Pros:
-lower radioactivity
-close view to the rings, perhaps possibility to separate larger particules
-possibility to radar probe the rings and even Saturn itself
-safe end of Cassini when out of fuel (such an orbit will soon lead to a crash on Saturn or into the rings, but avoids Enceladus).

Cons:
-Would need lot of fuel or moon assistance. Don't know if it is possible
-if it is possible, the fuel consumed would be at the cost of an extended mission.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Mar 30 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Mar 30 2006, 01:30 AM) *
With my opinion, the best "last" orbit for Cassini would be
-periastron just grazing Saturn atmosphere
-apoastron lower than Enceladus (to avoid biological contamination)
[...]
Cons:
-Would need lot of fuel or moon assistance. Don't know if it is possible
-if it is possible, the fuel consumed would be at the cost of an extended mission.

It's totally impossible. Once you get apoapsis inside Titan's orbit, there are no more gravity assists to be had. And circularizing the orbit that deep in the gravity well would require a LOT of delta-v. Unless aerobraking at Saturn were possible, this cannot be done, and aerobraking at Saturn is a much more difficult than at Mars.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- AlexBlackwell   Saturn's bared mini-moons   Mar 29 2006, 05:52 PM
- - AlexBlackwell   Saturn’s Rings Created by Collision By Ker Than S...   Mar 29 2006, 07:22 PM
- - volcanopele   Here's the link to the image releases for this...   Mar 29 2006, 07:32 PM
- - Richard Trigaux   Before jumping to conclusions, I would like to see...   Mar 29 2006, 08:01 PM
- - ljk4-1   Cassini spacecraft finds evidence of football-fiel...   Mar 29 2006, 10:25 PM
- - AlexBlackwell   Cassini Finds 'Missing Link' Moonlet Evide...   Mar 30 2006, 01:48 AM
- - ElkGroveDan   This kind of discovery is one of the reasons why I...   Mar 30 2006, 02:27 AM
|- - Richard Trigaux   QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Mar 30 2006, 02:27 A...   Mar 30 2006, 09:30 AM
|- - Holder of the Two Leashes   QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Mar 30 2006, 03...   Mar 30 2006, 03:19 PM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (Richard Trigaux @ Mar 30 2006, 01...   Mar 30 2006, 05:55 PM
|- - Richard Trigaux   QUOTE (JRehling @ Mar 30 2006, 05:55 PM) ...   Mar 30 2006, 06:22 PM
- - ljk4-1   I am surprised that no one has addressed the real ...   Mar 30 2006, 03:42 PM
|- - Holder of the Two Leashes   QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Mar 30 2006, 09:42 A...   Mar 30 2006, 09:14 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   Yes -- and don't forget that Alex has already ...   Mar 30 2006, 06:19 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   What we are seeing here is simply the latest in an...   Mar 31 2006, 12:13 PM
|- - BruceMoomaw   QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 31 2006, 12:13 P...   May 1 2006, 12:11 PM
- - scalbers   Looking at this older thread, I'm wondering ho...   Jun 10 2016, 07:36 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:28 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.