Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Fight for Pluto !, A Campaign to Reverse the Unjust Demotion
mars loon
post Aug 24 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

Dear Friends,

Today I am extremely dissapointed that the Pluto Demoters have triumphed.

I respect their opinion, but disagree with it.

I strongly agree with Alan Stern's statement calling it "absurd" that only 424 astronomers were allowed to vote, out of some 10,000 professional astronomers around the globe.

This tiny group is clearly not at all representative by mathematics alone.

I believe we should formulate a plan to overturn this unjust decision and return Pluto to full planetary status, and as the first member of a third catagory of planets, Xena being number two. Thus a total of 10 Planets in our Solar System

Please respond if you agree that Pluto should be restored as a planet.

ken

Ken Kremer
Amateur Astronomers Association of Princeton
Program Chairman
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
alan
post Feb 3 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

A quote from an article by David Jewitt & Jane X. Luu in Dædalus
We have to conclude that Tombaugh discovered Pluto not because of the quality of Lowell’s predictions, but simply because he was looking when nobody else was. These facts, however, did not distract astronomers at Lowell Observatory from advancing Pluto as a planet; and, in the absence of much public discussion until the discovery of the Kuiper Belt, these facts made little impression on the public. For all the wrong reasons, the ‘planet’ label stuck.

It is interesting to speculate on what might have happened had Pluto been properly described as a large kbo upon its discovery in 1930. Most likely, our understanding of the solar system would have been advanced by many decades. The next-brightest kbos after Pluto are fainter by a factor of fifteen or twenty. They would have been difficult for Tombaugh to locate, but astronomical sensitivity increases almost yearly and additional objects could have been identified within a decade or two. Indeed, some of the bright kbos found in recent years were also recorded in photographic observations from the 1950s and 1960s, but they went undetected. One of the main reasons for this is psychological: humans are not very good at perceiving things they do not expect to see. With Pluto entrenched in our minds as the ‘last planet,’ nobody was able to see even the bright kbos until this population had been firmly established in the 1990s.

If Pluto had been immediately recognized as the ‘tip of the Kuiper Belt iceberg,’ we would have known soon after World War II–and certainly before the space age–where comets come from and where to go in the solar system to find our most primitive materials. Our understanding of the dynamics and origin of the solar system would also have been much less biased by observations of the rocky planets and the inner solar system than it has been. The damage done by the mislabeling of Pluto as a planet, in this sense, has been considerable.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/faculty/jewitt/p...s/2007/JL07.pdf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- mars loon   Fight for Pluto !   Aug 24 2006, 08:24 PM
- - PhilCo126   Well, I guess the fight continues: http://www.plu...   Jan 26 2007, 05:32 PM
|- - Bob Shaw   As for names, I've always liked 'Planetoid...   Jan 26 2007, 10:14 PM
- - Greg Hullender   I really like "planetoid" too, but Alan ...   Jan 26 2007, 11:06 PM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Jan 26 2007, 03:0...   Jan 26 2007, 11:18 PM
|- - Bob Shaw   QUOTE (JRehling @ Jan 26 2007, 11:18 PM) ...   Jan 27 2007, 12:01 AM
- - laurele   Pluto is still a planet to a lot of people. I...   Jan 27 2007, 03:38 AM
- - Greg Hullender   It seems odd to me to claim that the universe has ...   Jan 28 2007, 02:45 AM
- - nprev   Oh, there's a pattern for sure: things in natu...   Jan 28 2007, 09:34 AM
|- - marsbug   QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 28 2007, 09:34 AM) Oh,...   Feb 4 2007, 11:24 PM
- - alan   A quote from an article by David Jewitt & Jane...   Feb 3 2007, 09:37 PM
- - Alan Stern   What utter nonsense from Jewitt & Luu. They kn...   Feb 3 2007, 11:49 PM
|- - David   QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Feb 3 2007, 11:49 PM)...   Feb 4 2007, 02:27 AM
- - Greg Hullender   I was a freshman at Caltech in 1977 when Kowal ann...   Feb 4 2007, 08:47 PM
- - Alan Stern   Greg, The problem with declassifying Pluto and ot...   Feb 4 2007, 09:27 PM
- - Greg Hullender   Alan: I know. I actually liked the cleanness of y...   Feb 5 2007, 11:48 PM
- - Alan Stern   Alan: I know. I actually liked the cleanness of yo...   Feb 6 2007, 12:19 AM
- - Alan Stern   And this news note from the front: Date: Mon, 5 F...   Feb 6 2007, 12:29 AM
|- - mars loon   QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Feb 6 2007, 12:29 AM)...   Feb 6 2007, 02:00 AM
- - nprev   I too changed my vote for Pluto as a planet, but p...   Feb 6 2007, 01:33 AM
- - Greg Hullender   Alan: Sorry about that. I guess I identified you ...   Feb 6 2007, 10:22 PM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Feb 6 2007, 02:22...   Feb 7 2007, 06:46 PM
- - nprev   Very, very well said, JR, and for me that was the ...   Feb 8 2007, 02:14 AM
2 Pages V  < 1 2

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 10:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.