+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dvandorn
post Jun 29 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

My interest in Mars ranges through the entire gamut -- origin, early climate, geological processes, atmospheric evolution -- the whole nine yards. Heck, my interest in all of the bodies of the Solar System ranges through the same gamut (as appropriate -- I don't think atmospheric evolution and early climate issues are very applicable to, say, Mercury).

All of these processes are contributing factors to a very large system. Becuase of its complexity, this system *must* incorporate a large number of chaotic factors, but as in any complex system, order seems to rise from chaos and develop mechanisms which maintain and enhance order. It is this basic creative force (for want of a better term), working against entropy, that fascinates me the most. All of the disciplines we have discussed serve to investigate different aspects of this basic force -- the force that counter-balances entropy and serves to create order from chaos.

In a way, my interest in and exploration of the natural sciences is simply my way of exploring the face of the creative force of the Universe... smile.gif It comes as close to spirituality for me as anything else, and holds a similar place in my life as religion holds for many people. Which is why I take all of this so seriously... biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2024 - 01:10 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.