Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Why Does The British Media Hate Nasa?, It seems they criticise whenever the can
GregM
post Feb 1 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 175

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6-2015944,00.html

I know that a lot of folks here are from the UK (including our esteemed webmaster). I intend no offence to those folks, but I have just read yet another British criticism on NASA and feel the need to comment. It’s not that people don’t have the right to free speech – the right to speak your mind is all well and good. I guess though that I really have a hard time with a great deal of the British media’s consistent and unending hypercritical assessment of another country’s space program, while there is a general unwillingness of their own nation to step up to the plate and do better. It looks very petty. If the UK even spent half what the USA spends on civil space (even just as a percentage of GNP), there might be a firm moral footing from which to criticise the Americans on how they carry out their space program. But the UK does not, nor will they in the future.

I guess what I have a problem with the most is the attitude. I see it time and time again in the Brit media when it comes to the subject: a sanctimonious attitude, gross ignorance of the subject matter, ignoring the fact that the UK is in no position to criticise others, and hypocracy. I chose the above-noted article as an example, but I have seen many others.

The above-noted article goes so far to call NASA’s priorities of the past “criminal”. I guess that the UK in fact knows more about spaceflight than any other nation on Earth – and is endowed with the divine authority to judge all other nations for deciding on how they carry out their space programs – to the point of passing moral judgements. Funny, the author likely doesn’t even pay taxes or vote in America, yet harshly attacks what is for the most part a domestic American issue. Maybe it would be better for a UK citizen to criticise the UK government for not doing enough in the field of space science, as opposed to criticising the Americans for the same thing.

The article is also filled with several “facts” to support its arguments that are simply flat out wrong, and conveniently omits others that are unsupporting. This is also a common occurrence in the British media. Even the BBC is frequently terrible with even the most basic facts concerning spaceflight. When one criticises something and it becomes obvious that they really don’t know what they are talking about, their credibility is strained beyond the limit. It then seems like they are simply pushing a dogmatic agenda, or putting down others simply to build themselves up.

I find it a bizarre attitude concerning how the other nations with vastly more spaceflight experience, infrastructure, expertise, and commitment consistently get it all wrong. This is ironic considering that the UK’s space budget is somewhere at about tenth place globally (even as a percentage of GNP). NASA will spend more on Cassini than the UK will spend on all spaceflight in 5 years. NASA’s space science budget in any given year will be larger than almost any other space organisation’s ENTIRE space budget for that same year. Colin Pillinger had to literally BEG for donation money to finish the tiny, underengineered Beagle 2 (THAT is a national embarrassment, not Beagle 2’s ultimate demise). But hey, the UK knows what they are doing here. Everyone else, particularly NASA has got it all wrong – especially that murderous Space Shuttle.

Lastly, I find it bitterly ironic that a nation that carried out the largest, most expensive, dangerous, and exploitive agenda of exploration in human history can possibly criticise anyone else for attempting to do the same. The British Empire was the greatest that the world has ever seen. It wasn’t about science then either. It was about getting British people to new worlds with the aim to claim, populate, posses, and economically exploit. The UK got fat, rich, and powerful from global exploration in a previous era. There was no thought to quitting when things went badly then either. No questioning the wisdom or morality of such things. At the time, who called for the ending of the British global exploration program when the Franklin, Scott, Shackleton, or dozens of other expeditions went horribly badly? Now that era has passed, and the UK is no longer the global power it once was. However, it seems ok for the British to criticise other nations for trying to do the same now – and when things go badly for those nations on occasion, it is just fine to accuse them of the worst sort of thinking and behaviour for both the initial failure and then attempting to get over their tragedies and push on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- GregM   Why Does The British Media Hate Nasa?   Feb 1 2006, 03:31 AM
- - djellison   Well - haiting STS isnt a British thing, you'l...   Feb 1 2006, 08:52 AM
- - SkyeLab   Is it worth pointing out that both the owner and t...   Feb 1 2006, 09:23 AM
|- - MahFL   Wow that article is pretty scathing. I disagree wi...   Feb 1 2006, 12:11 PM
|- - abalone   QUOTE (SkyeLab @ Feb 1 2006, 08:23 PM)Is it w...   Feb 2 2006, 09:57 AM
- - AndyG   Thanks for the heads-up to the article, Greg...I o...   Feb 1 2006, 01:04 PM
|- - craigmcg   I do a lot of media relations for my job, and at t...   Feb 1 2006, 01:24 PM
|- - brianc   Andy G I totally agree with your sentiments, I wo...   Feb 1 2006, 01:27 PM
|- - dvandorn   QUOTE (AndyG @ Feb 1 2006, 07:04 AM)...when y...   Feb 1 2006, 04:11 PM
|- - ElkGroveDan   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 1 2006, 04:11 PM)THIS i...   Feb 1 2006, 06:29 PM
|- - Rakhir   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 1 2006, 06:11 PM)THIS i...   Feb 1 2006, 11:07 PM
|- - ugordan   QUOTE (Rakhir @ Feb 2 2006, 12:07 AM)From htt...   Feb 2 2006, 08:45 AM
- - Phil Stooke   Brief comment from an ex-brit. Let's not forg...   Feb 1 2006, 01:54 PM
- - djellison   I wish I were able to do more about the UK space b...   Feb 1 2006, 02:02 PM
|- - ljk4-1   QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 1 2006, 09:02 AM)I wis...   Feb 1 2006, 02:31 PM
|- - Bob Shaw   There's a real antipathy towards manned spacef...   Feb 1 2006, 02:35 PM
|- - ljk4-1   In the Fifteenth Century, China - having just expl...   Feb 1 2006, 02:47 PM
- - djellison   Again - you've confused the British media, and...   Feb 1 2006, 04:31 PM
- - RNeuhaus   I have the impression that the manned space has an...   Feb 1 2006, 05:02 PM
- - Canopus   Is this the same UK which frequently gives the USA...   Feb 1 2006, 05:02 PM
|- - AlexBlackwell   QUOTE (Canopus @ Feb 1 2006, 05:02 PM)Is this...   Feb 1 2006, 05:33 PM
- - dvandorn   First off -- Doug, you know I was exaggerating for...   Feb 1 2006, 05:39 PM
|- - hendric   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 1 2006, 11:39 AM)... If...   Feb 1 2006, 10:17 PM
- - dvandorn   You see, Dan? There's room for common ground,...   Feb 1 2006, 07:59 PM
- - Sunspot   The British press isn't the only one bashing N...   Feb 2 2006, 11:35 AM
- - djellison   PAh - I've added a comment, but I doubt it wil...   Feb 2 2006, 11:53 AM
- - Sunspot   I suspect her appalling journalistic abilities wou...   Feb 2 2006, 11:58 AM
|- - ljk4-1   QUOTE (Sunspot @ Feb 2 2006, 06:58 AM)I suspe...   Feb 2 2006, 12:37 PM
- - djellison   Oh - she's perfectly entitled to lambast the m...   Feb 2 2006, 12:43 PM
- - dvandorn   The problem is that, at least in American media, i...   Feb 2 2006, 12:51 PM
- - abalone   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 2 2006, 11:51 PM)The pr...   Feb 4 2006, 02:46 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.