5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Duck Bay, New update from Steve
fredk
post Sep 21 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Tesheiner, I was just preparing my version when your's appeared! Good news is I agree 100% with you! My image shows a few more features I've identified:

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tty
post Sep 21 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 273

QUOTE (climber @ Sep 21 2006, 04:07 PM) *
I know a place that could fit the description!
If you go (much) south from Buenos Aires, you'll get to "Peninsula Valdes". There, you'll find sea Lions as well as "Pinguinos de Magallanes "(not sure how to write this but this means Magellan) where there's a collony of about one Million Pinguins. It clearly looks like a bay on the South side and that's also a breeding place for a type of Whale in the month of june only. Ocean is quite calm there. This correspond to the description. I've been there back in 1988 but my slides are not digitalised.

That is the Punta Tombo colony, which is the only large penguin colony on the mainland of a continent anywhere in the World. Incidentally there are some "Patos" there too, large and flightless steamer ducks, and they may have been more numerous back then.

tty

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 21 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #33

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 21 2006, 07:55 PM) *
Tesheiner, I was just preparing my version when your's appeared! Good news is I agree 100% with you! My image shows a few more features I've identified:

Attached Image

Good to know that.
For those four features to the left (incl. bright outcrop & beacon) I was a bit doubtful about their location. Actually I was temped to place the beacon on the next cape to the left of your proposed placement (and the same as I point in my route map), but your proposal is quite convincent.
Just let me (or somebody else) do a couple of distance measurements via parallax to confirm it; or did you do it already?

+Quote Post
babakm
post Sep 21 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 159

Relevant page from the book is attached.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 21 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (babakm @ Sep 21 2006, 09:45 PM) *
Relevant page from the book is attached.

Thanks Babakm, description is very consistant to what I know. Bahia Blanca is about half way from Buenos Aires to Punta Tombo/Peninsula Valdes and as pointed by tty, that's the only place where we can find out pinguins.
I love this thread. I think we'll have fun to find out the places visited by Magellan corresponding of the naming as the Mer team release more and more "official" names.
Will be nice to have this in a more general thread instead of just here in Duck Bay

--------------------

+Quote Post
karl
post Sep 21 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 1173

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 21 2006, 02:38 PM) *
Good to know that.
For those four features to the left (incl. bright outcrop & beacon) I was a bit doubtful about their location. Actually I was temped to place the beacon on the next cape to the left of your proposed placement (and the same as I point in my route map), but your proposal is quite convincent.
Just let me (or somebody else) do a couple of distance measurements via parallax to confirm it; or did you do it already?

Hi guys (and gals?), longtime stealth reader since discovering UMSF a few months ago when we were at Erebus. Great image stitching, colorizing, rover locating and commentary, etc. on the Oppy threads. If I had DSL at home, I'd have to get my wife one of those widow cards.

Hey, Tesh, I found your misplaced Beacon while reading a local paper....seems someone moved it recently...

Beacon

Perhaps someone could photoshop it and place it to scale on Victoria's rim at it's proper location ..... on the near-rim.

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 21 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 253

Extending on my previous post I picked some distances using AlgorimancerPG tool with the following results:
Beacon: 150m (aprox.) --> Match!
Left outcrop: 80-90m --> Match!

Fredk, you got it!

And I now think we are also seeing Cabo Verde. The feature highlighted in yellow (see below) is at the proper heading and at a range of 120m. Match too!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
imipak
post Sep 21 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 617

QUOTE (sattrackpro @ Sep 21 2006, 02:44 PM) *
The name (bahia - pronounced ba-'i-a, h not pronounced, stress on second syllable) is an archaic spelling of the Portuguese word meaning "bay" and comes from "a baía de Todos os Santos" (All Saints' Bay...) (Bahia is a state of Brazil...)

Monstrously off-topic -sorry- but: there's a flamenco song 'Bahia de Cadiz', by Camaron and Paco de Lucia... recorded in the late 70s. (Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about Theoretical or Applied Spanish!)

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 21 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (imipak @ Sep 21 2006, 10:59 PM) *
Monstrously off-topic -sorry- but: there's a flamenco song 'Bahia de Cadiz', by Camaron and Paco de Lucia... recorded in the late 70s. (Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about Theoretical or Applied Spanish!)

Yes, Monstrously off-topic smile.gif biggrin.gif
Flamingos are NOT ducks

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Sep 21 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 16

Your right Tesheiner, it was late here so I took a bit of a guess at that one - should know better than to do that these days.

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 21 2006, 10:37 PM) *
James, what you're saying is that none of the high peaks showing up in my stretched image are one of the referred promontories?...So...Where are they?... blink.gif

Right, I think it's quite the opposite in fact. It's looking to me like the capes slope downward toward there ends.

Tesheiner has already pointed it out in the navcams but here is Cape Verde in the pancams:

Attached Image

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Pando
post Sep 21 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #41

The Insider

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (imipak @ Sep 21 2006, 10:59 PM)
Monstrously off-topic -sorry- but: there's a flamenco song 'Bahia de Cadiz'....
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 21 2006, 02:34 PM) *

Yes, Monstrously off-topic smile.gif biggrin.gif
Flamingos are NOT ducks

Well yeah, and "flamenco" is not a bird either laugh.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Roby72
post Sep 21 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 89

Is this the Duck ?

Robert

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Pando
post Sep 21 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #43

The Insider

Member No.: 73

I think the one in odave's post quacks better.... smile.gif

+Quote Post
odave
post Sep 22 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 209

Hey, if it looks like a duck....

[sorry, that had to come out sooner or later tongue.gif]

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 22 2006, 05:04 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 152

Tesheiner, I think we're pretty close on identifying these features. I only disagree with you on the "sluffing slab", what you highlight in yellow. I think it's closer than you put it. Here's my final iteration using the pancam image:
Attached Image

In particular, the Beacon (farthest left feature) seems pretty certain, and it does agree with the route map position you've given all along.

I put the sluffing slab closer because it looks to me that the next feature I've marked to the left of it is the cliff on the near side of Cabo Verde (Cape A1), and the slab appears to be in front of it.

Anyway, this is of course difficult because of the saturated whites in the pancam image and because it's hard to get accurate parallax distances that far away, and we're pushing the limits of the satellite image. All this should be clearer after some movement!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 03:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.