142 Pages V  « < 66 67 68 69 70 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Route Map
Ares57
post May 25 2017, 03:35 AM
Post #1006

Group: Members
Member No.: 8133

The legend to this map shows "2m contour lines ...". What then do the figures "-4720, -4269 etc" adjacent to the contour lines mean? If the lines are 2m in elevation apart then the slope between -4720 and -4269 along the illustrated path of the rover is almost 30 per cent. Even if the legend is supposed to be 1 m, then the slope is 15 percent, which seems a dramatic increase on recent times.

Another question in regarding Curiosity's position relative to Vera Rubin Ridge: post #946 shows a cross section which appears to indicate there are two layers to the hematite ridge. The link for this cross-section includes a reference to PIA18781 which is a an overhead map of the region's geology. In the bottom right corner of this image are two ochre coloured sections that appear to correspond to the two layers in the cross section. The lighter higher section is labelled on the map "Hematite ridge" but the legend at the left side labels the darker ochre section as "Hematite ridge". This darker section has a narrow tongue leading towards the break in the dunes which Curiosity has recently traversed. As far as I can tell from the JPL maps, Curiosity has been travelling on this narrow section since Sol 1669 and along the eastern edge since Sol 1678, reaching the main dark ochre area on Sol 1700. If the PIA18781 map is accurate, then has Curiosity been able to detect hematite? I suspect the map may need revising, because several of the recent USGS updates have talked about continuing examination of Murray formation rocks, which according to the cross-section should by now be well covered by the hematite material.

I have searched for a more recent map than PIA18781, but without success.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serpens
post May 25 2017, 06:08 AM
Post #1007

Member No.: 4605

Basically to measure height (or depth) on Earth or mars you need a datum or agreed start point. On Earth we use averaged sea level as the datum. On Mars the equipotential surface based on MOLA data is used to define the datum. The floor of Gale crater is below the datum and therefore as Curiosity climbs the elevation in metres reduces. I gather you are referring to PaulH51's posted map and the 47-- figures are the contour line depth in thousands of metres, with one metre intervals. So Curiosity has climbed 7 metres over a run of some 80 metres which is around a 5 degree slope.

The HiRise images are amazing in their detail but it is extremely difficult to resolve the nature of the surface from images in isolation. CRISM identified that the erosion resistant ridge was rich in hematite. Relative erosion resistance plus hematite is a reasonable indication that water was involved. But there is no tongue of the hematite ridge leading to Curiosity's position although I can understand why the surface patterns inclined you to think that way.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 26 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #1008

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Just to clarify, you will note that the contours are at 1 m intervals but the statement on the bottom of the map inset says 2 m intervals. It's a mistake on the map.

I'm now at my home in Victoria and will catch up on mapping over the next day or two.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nogal
post May 26 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #1009

Member No.: 4824

Provisional update to sol 1707 (updated to sol 1705).
Fernando
Attached File  The_Martian_Way_MSL_Curiosity_Sol_1707_2017MAY26.kmz ( 452.36K ) Number of downloads: 264

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 27 2017, 11:05 PM
Post #1010

OK, getting back into it. Let's start with the standard mapping format I use (AKA pages from some future publication). Then we can go to more detailed views. But these two overview maps let you look back half a year and ahead to the ridge.

Phil

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 27 2017, 11:43 PM
Post #1011

... and a couple of close-ups of recent activities.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 31 2017, 03:23 AM
Post #1012

map update to sol 1711, a short drive to the southeast.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post May 31 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #1013

Member No.: 4824

Update to sol 1711. My next update will be near the end of June.
Fernando
Attached File  The_Martian_Way_MSL_Curiosity_Sol_1711_2017MAY31.kmz ( 453.06K ) Number of downloads: 273

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 31 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #1014

Sol 1712. A drive of 10 m or so to the south. The position comes from Jan's panorama of sol 1711 (I had not seen his 1712 panorama when I did this) and Hazcam images.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 5 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #1015

Sol 1717 - a good drive to the south, about 30 m. This view shows the closer parts of Vera Rubin Ridge at the bottom of the map. Not far away now!

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 6 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #1016

Update to sol 1718. I think we are here - moved about 25 m southeast, but the location is tentative for now.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 7 2017, 11:07 PM
Post #1017

I was a bit out yesterday - let's see if this is better. It looks to me like a short drive, 10 m or so, possibly shorter than it was supposed to be, and to the southwest.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 8 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #1018

I think this position (from Hazcam images) is pretty good. It doesn't seem to match the reported drive very well, so maybe the sol 1719 position is further west than I showed it previously.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 12 2017, 01:29 AM
Post #1019

Not so good the last few sols! But all is corrected here.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 13 2017, 03:37 AM
Post #1020

Sol 1724, a 26 m drive to the east-south-east.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

142 Pages V  « < 66 67 68 69 70 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.