Reply to this topicStart new topic
First public release of Kaguya data
djellison
post Nov 6 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #61

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Exagerated rendering : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MxCvjQDzk and once processed by vimeo http://vimeo.com/7479346

Also uploading to http://www.dougellison.com/dougstuff/kaguy...render_1080.mov - About 10 meg.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 7 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Oooh, exaggerated is right! Looks great. And kind of creepy, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rick Sternbach
post Nov 7 2009, 02:33 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 5017

My thanks to everyone who made the 16-bit grayscale map possible. I don't have the time right now to play with applying the map to a sphere as I would in Maya or Lightwave, but I have been able to trim out pieces of the map to drop into Terragen, and am very encouraged by the results for use in future artwork. As Bjorn has shown, the data does become somewhat blob-like close up, but Terragen's textures help a bit. This also gets me very excited over the possibilities for using the LOLA data when it becomes available in the coming months.

Rick

Attached Image

+Quote Post
claurel
post Nov 7 2009, 04:26 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 514

Joining in the spinning Moon video party... Here's the Moon rendered with a specular highlight to emphasize topography:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agMcK77p3Hc

The overall effect is of looking at a plastic globe.

EDIT: Uploaded the wrong video the first time. As pointed out by FordPrefect, there was a 180 degree offset between the normal and albedo maps.

--Chris

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Nov 7 2009, 05:22 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 4489

For the past 1 1/2 days i have been trying to get yout???? to except my moon vid ( like the deimos and phobos ) but youtub keeps mangling and f'ing up the ogg file .

http://www.zshare.net/download/68108952dcb3c6a7/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqxLrig6tQc

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Nov 7 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 738

Fantastic Work everyone! I've been hoping for such a DEM since 2003. Spectacular, this global Moon DEM rocks!

QUOTE (claurel @ Nov 7 2009, 05:26 AM) *
Joining in the spinning Moon video party... Here's the Moon rendered with a specular highlight to emphasize topography:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZCcYIYq5Ok

Chris, it seems your DEM map is shifted by 180 degrees in relation to your albedo texture there.

+Quote Post
pch
post Nov 7 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 276

QUOTE (mhoward @ Nov 6 2009, 08:50 PM) *
Virtual Moon Atlas looks like it doesn't do topopgraphic lighting, so that would be more of a reach.

This must change!
A new version is in progress and I have added normal map lightning last summer even I was not very happy with the map I can build before this data release.
I have downloaded the Kaguya data and I just start to play with them, it look great!
This must be released before the end of the year.

Patrick

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 8 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #68

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Not just a movie party - a lunar software convention!

Here's a comparison that may be interesting. The first screenshot is Moon Globe with its original, lame pre-Kayuga normal map, and the second is Moon Globe 1.1 with the same view, using my version of the LALT normal map. I've just submitted Moon Globe 1.1 to the App Store, so with any luck it should be showing up in two weeks or so.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
claurel
post Nov 8 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #69

Has anyone else noticed a slight misalignment between the Kaguya LALT map and existing albedo maps, specifically those from Clementine?

--Chris

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 8 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #70

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Map control from altimeters is much better than the old control - MOLA is the standard for Mars, for instance. In this case the Kaguya control will be far superior to the old Unified Lunar Control Network, which is a mix of control points from Clementine and older missions, basically tens of thousands of points measured on overlapping images. Ultimately we can expect to see older datasets like the Clementine and Lunar Orbiter mosaics, plus the LRO wide angle mosaic, all converted to the altimetry control. LOLA will be the ultimate standard just because of its its high density.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
claurel
post Nov 9 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #71

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 8 2009, 12:40 PM) *
Map control from altimeters is much better than the old control...

Thanks for your answer, Phil. It sounds like there's nothing to be done about the misalignment for now, but it's good to understand the source of it.

--Chris

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 9 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #72

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 2 2009, 02:54 PM) *
So back to the database search. Select LISM datasets, search on Tycho coordinates, then choose TC orthomap, and bingo, lots of datasets.

I've had no luck with this yet - how are you using the four coordinates, are you ignoring the time fields, and which instrument sets, specifically are you using.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 9 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #73

QUOTE (claurel @ Nov 8 2009, 02:26 PM) *
Has anyone else noticed a slight misalignment between the Kaguya LALT map and existing albedo maps, specifically those from Clementine?

I may be mis-remembering here, but if memory serves, there have been two different versions of the Clementine albedo map. I think I'm using the later one - it had some new holes in it that I had to patch up. Whatever I'm using, it seems to me to agree quite well with the LALT data.

Again I may be way off here, but the later-model Clementine albedo map might have been re-projected after the Clementine laser altimeter results?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 9 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #74

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Clem laser altimetry was such low resolution that it doesn't help very much here. It's absorbed into the Unified Lunar Control Network. The point really is that, if the Kaguya team did their work properly, which they presumably did, their result will be better than anything older. If there's a mismatch it's more likely to be with the older dataset.

Doug:

"I've had no luck with this yet - how are you using the four coordinates, are you ignoring the time fields, and which instrument sets, specifically are you using."

First, from the data search page, click product selection - it opens a new window. In it I choose LISM and click 'add all'. The datasets appear in the righthand window.

Second, choose (for example) LISM/MAP/TC-Morning-Map, then click 'determination'.

Back to the first window - now I select data from that dataset. I ignore time, I use coordinates that bracket an area I'm interested in. For instance, Tycho, lat range -40 to -50, long range 340 to 359. Then click 'search execution'.

That takes me to a new page, 'list of search result'. It shows nothing until I again choose the TC morning map line from the product box. But then it lists lots of products, 28 tiles of the big mosaic map. Choose one - click on the file name to see metadata and a thumbnail. Click the order box to order it, and it's put on an FTP server for you. An email tells you how to get it.

I have one - it has to be unzipped. I'm still trying to open it, but too busy to do much yet.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 9 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #75

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 9 2009, 03:09 PM) *
Clem laser altimetry was such low resolution that it doesn't help very much here. It's absorbed into the Unified Lunar Control Network. The point really is that, if the Kaguya team did their work properly, which they presumably did, their result will be better than anything older. If there's a mismatch it's more likely to be with the older dataset.

Thanks for the correction. Still, I believe there was a version 1 of the Clementine albedo map that was pre-Lunar Control Network, even. If you happen to be using that, I imagine it doesn't match up with the LALT data very well at all.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.