34 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
LROC news and images
jklier
post Sep 13 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #391

Group: Members
Member No.: 6150

Does anyone know if the raw imagery for the newly obtained Apollo data is or will be available? I like to do my own processing to see what I can bring out. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 13 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #392

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (jklier @ Sep 13 2011, 11:50 AM) *
Does anyone know if the raw imagery for the newly obtained Apollo data is or will be available?

As with all LRO data, I'm sure it'll be on the PDS soon enough.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 13 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #393

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter does PDS releases every 3 months, on the 15th, and each release covers data that is 3 to 6 months old.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
jklier
post Sep 14 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #394

Member No.: 6150

Thank you for the replies. It appears the last updates were June 15th. Soooo...... I'll be hoping the latest Apollo data might make it in on this next update which would be tomorrow if I got that last date correct. However, not likely since it is only about a month old.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 14 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #395

Founder

No - it'll be in the update after that.

+Quote Post
James Fincannon
post Sep 15 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #396

Member No.: 4887

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2011, 06:27 PM) *
No - it'll be in the update after that.

Looks like the data is in!
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LROC-3....0/LROLRC_0007/

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 15 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #397

Founder

That's the normal Sept 2011 release that should include data from March/April/May/June

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 19 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #398

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I've been waiting for this for a while:

Attached Image

Lunokhod 2's tracks at the place where it spent its second lunar night. The cross-shaped pattern of tracks is similar to tracks at the location of its first lunar night stop. I think it was using its magnetometer at the time, two perpendicular transects, centered on a small crater at both locations.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Sep 20 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #399

Member No.: 1563

Loving it, wish I'd been around when these mission flew!

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Sep 21 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #400

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (marsbug @ Sep 20 2011, 11:33 PM) *
Loving it, wish I'd been around when these mission flew!

Well... I was there (as a teenager then) and the French space agency (CNES) was very close to the Russian space agency at this time. Believe me : NO Lunokhod images and NO "live" news were given by the Soviets then, even to the French who had some experiments inside. The only imaging "glimpses" we had were during the Paris Air shows every 2 years : just 1 or 2 Lunokhod images (not even the full pans) were shown on a vertical poster, printed raw (really of a bad quality) and with a text in Russian... They just did not care about Western public interest. Their only focus was to show full size Salyut mock-ups with Soyuz capsules (the best part of their exhibit) and have cosmonauts give at conferences some "political" interviews (always about their quest for peace and their non-agression policy and friendhip between the states... Yawn !). At a later stage, we even saw the Buran on top of its carrier... But still NO more Lunokhod images were shown... The space enthusiasts like me were very frustrated regarding their unmanned spaceflight results.
So, don't worry : you missed almost nothing... cool.gif

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 21 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #401

Member No.: 1004

there was some good coverage of the missions in a few magazines such as Spaceflight, Aviation Week or Flight International (usually reprinting info from Novosti or TASS) but nothing to see with the flood of info we have today.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 21 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #402

Member No.: 682

Olivier, did you ever met with Albert Ducrocq? He was reporting Lunokhod's progress on Air & Cosmos, ok, no pictures, but I remember reading interesting infos.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Sep 22 2011, 07:39 AM
Post #403

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (climber @ Sep 21 2011, 09:52 PM) *
Olivier, did you ever met with Albert Ducrocq? He was reporting Lunokhod's progress on Air & Cosmos, ok, no pictures, but I remember reading interesting infos.

Oh, yes : a lot. But much more about Mars and each time when I was back to France from JPL (for VLs and MPF)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 30 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #404

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

New lunar pits - well, a new discovery anyway, not reported elsewhere. Like several others they are in western Tranquillitatis.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
James Fincannon
post Sep 30 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #405

Member No.: 4887

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 30 2011, 04:14 AM) *
New lunar pits - well, a new discovery anyway, not reported elsewhere. Like several others they are in western Tranquillitatis.

Phil,
Is this your discovery? Did you read the paper “Lunar Caves In Mare Deposits Imaged By The LROC Narrow Angle Cameras” to be presented at the First International Planetary Cave Research Workshop? http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/caves2011/pdf/program.pdf
They say they have documented >140 "negative relief" features. I have sent in an inquiry to Mark Robinson as to either the location of these or the general regions. They also include an image of the cave/pit H1 I found back in April. Although I got no attribution, perhaps they found it independently.
James

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.