IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Published images and APOD's by the UMSF family, - UMSF members make a difference in bringing Space to the public!
Stu
post Nov 5 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #121

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Congratulations, great pic. smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 5 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #122

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (kyokugaisha @ Nov 5 2012, 03:13 AM) *
if I'd known .....

Not the first time they've not checked in with someone before publishing their work. In my case - a new version of the Columbia Hills DTM movie was rendering at the exact moment they decided to put my older version on their website. Had they checked in first, I'd have asked them to wait a day or two and they could have had something even better.

It's a very odd practice.

Great mosaic though!!

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 5 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #123

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Their source often seems to be Emily's blog so what gets posted there usually ends up being what's reposted at APOD.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kyokugaisha
post Nov 5 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 5306

Oh, I'm definitely not complaining! smile.gif

Just reminded me of the little flaws in the image my eyes are always drawn to. We could probably tweak stuff without end but have to draw the line at some point.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 5 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #125

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

Great mosaic - the Cassini PDS stuff is a treasure trove for anyone who likes to process raw data into beautiful images/mosaics/color composites etc.

QUOTE (kyokugaisha @ Nov 5 2012, 05:18 PM) *
We could probably tweak stuff without end but have to draw the line at some point.

Yes, this is very familiar.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 21 2012, 02:23 PM
Post #126

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

A rather gorgeous new calendar features a rather gorgeous image of Europa created by our very own Ted Stryk... and it was produced in cooperation with The Planetary Society too... smile.gif

Review and ordering details here...

http://cumbriansky.wordpress.com/2012/11/2...r-in-space-2013

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Feb 20 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 678

Maybe I can update this thread ^^

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140218.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 6 2014, 01:02 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 530

Ted Stryk is credited for a two-page Europa mosaic in the July 2014 issue of National Geographic.

+Quote Post
geckzilla
post Jul 6 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 7197

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 5 2012, 12:33 PM) *
Not the first time they've not checked in with someone before publishing their work. In my case - a new version of the Columbia Hills DTM movie was rendering at the exact moment they decided to put my older version on their website. Had they checked in first, I'd have asked them to wait a day or two and they could have had something even better.

It's a very odd practice.

Great mosaic though!!

I might have some insight. As you already know, there are two editors. When Bob picks one of my Hubble pictures to go up, I have received a nearly empty email with just a link to the APOD in the staging area. One time Jerry picked one and I didn't get an email. So both of them have different ways of doing things. That's not to say that Bob always sends emails and Jerry never sends them. That's just my experience. Anything more I could say would be conjecture, which I will do next responding to Gordan.

QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 5 2012, 12:49 PM) *
Their source often seems to be Emily's blog so what gets posted there usually ends up being what's reposted at APOD.

(Begin conjecture.) I could guess that this might explain the lack of contact. It could be that if it goes on Emily's blog it becomes a kind of public resource. If Emily posted it, APOD should also have no permission problems, and this could easily be assumed to be a final image and she probably provided any extra information that they would have otherwise requested. (End conjecture.)

That said, they won't know you have issues if you don't let them know. If you ever notice any mistakes or lack of credit or anything, do email Robert Nemiroff and Jerry Bonnell. Copy them both on any message. They usually fix text errors before the day is over. I don't know if they will update an image after it's already up unless it is factually incorrect. I have heard a few morsels here and there about the sensitivities they have to keep in mind which I won't get into publicly but I do know they care a lot about getting things right and not upsetting anyone, even though it still happens from time to time. (Jesús Maíz Apellániz has had his double last name mistaken for a middle + last name and abbreviated to J. M. Apellániz at least twice now for reruns of Pismis 24... Poor guy! I confess I find this slightly amusing.)

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 6 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 1345

Ted Stryk is credited for a two-page Europa mosaic in the July 2014 issue of National Geographic.

Tooting my own horn a bit but, there is actually another UMSF connection to the National Geographic article: I was a member of of Penny Boston's scientific expedition to the Cueva de Villa Luz sulfide cave mentioned in the text. I was in the back seat of Michael Limonick's (the author of the National Geographic article) car as they were rushing to the airport; struggling to get all the chemical sonde datafiles converted and downloaded while we bounced violently over the omnipresent Mexican speedbumps and the sonde batteries were quickly dying...

Pix of our part of the expedition can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/...57638939184283/

UMSF is everywhere.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 7 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #131

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jul 6 2014, 10:21 PM) *
Tooting my own horn a bit but, there is actually another UMSF connection to the National Geographic article: I was a member of of Penny Boston's scientific expedition to the Cueva de Villa Luz sulfide cave mentioned in the text. I was in the back seat of Michael Limonick's (the author of the National Geographic article) car as they were rushing to the airport; struggling to get all the chemical sonde datafiles converted and downloaded while we bounced violently over the omnipresent Mexican speedbumps and the sonde batteries were quickly dying...

Pix of our part of the expedition can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/...57638939184283/

UMSF is everywhere.

Awesome! I'm going to have to pick up a copy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 8 2014, 02:54 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jul 7 2014, 06:39 AM) *
Awesome! I'm going to have to pick up a copy.

I was wondering if this was news to you... I thought they may just have found the image they wanted and pulled it with the full attribution.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 9 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #133

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

It wasn't news to me...I knew they were going to use it, but not when or how.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PFK
post Jul 12 2014, 05:46 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 4121

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jul 6 2014, 10:21 PM) *
Tooting my own horn a bit but, there is actually another UMSF connection to the National Geographic article:

Enjoyed the NG article, and as someone who has dabbled in sulfur (in one form or another) for the last 30 years I have to say I'm decidedly jealous of making an expedition like that sad.gif

+Quote Post
geckzilla
post Sep 19 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 7197

Ted's image today at APOD is nice. Apparently we are having a km / mi mixup again, though. Also, as usual, I am having a very hard time finding the original posting of the image.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140919.html

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.