20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Forum Meeting
malgar
post Dec 22 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 401

Wouldn't be cool a forum meeting? Somewhere in the world? I know.. it is not easy at all to organize well a so worldwide event and not everyone has time and money to spend. But why not just think about it?
I thought that firstly a continental meeting is easier to organize. I'm speaking about an european meeting because I live here but this could be good for other continents too!
IMHO should be a place with some symbolic mean for us.. pancam.gif I thought a place like the deep space network antennas in madrid. When? perhaps this spring or summer...
Other ideas? Criticisms? I know that problems are big and not everyone feel the need of a meeting but it would be great shake your hands guys! I don't write so much here but I check almost everyday this incredible forum! wink.gif

Ale.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 22 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I totally and utterly agree, it'd be amazing to have a mini conference type thing even - central Europe would be perfect - perhaps we should do one of those 'where everyone is from' google map things ( I can't remember the URL but everyone can add their own pin to the map ) and we could schedule something for the middle of it.

BUT

I'd suggest that the best time to do it would be once MER is over ( a bad thought, but one that will come, one day ) so we can have a celebration of what they have achieved. When that will be - I dont know.

Similarly, it'd be cool to have something in the US for obvious reasons, perhaps over on the West Coast somewhere (like, say, Pasadena.... wink.gif )

A long weekend - dinner on a Friday, Talks and events on Sat and Sun Am, and everyone home on Sunday afternoon smile.gif

TECHNICALLY it's been done. Nico and I met up in Cambridge this Summer biggrin.gif

But yes - it would be fantastic to sort something out, but it'd have to be perhaps 6 months in planning to try and get a venue, accom. and people to sort travel etc smile.gif

IDEALLY, we would have it here in the UK, right here in Leicester at the National Space Centre biggrin.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 22 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 150

A similar idea was suggested some time ago and I remember that many of sponsorized it enthusiastically.
Personally, I would like very much to know and shake hands of you guys! rolleyes.gif
Doug, the target could be Sol1000 (autumn 2006), nominal end of extedended mission, otherwise would be too delayed.

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 22 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #4

Founder

I'd be happy to try and organise something - but realistically, I'd have to organise something that's in the UK. For me to try and arrange facilities, accomodation etc somewhere abroad would be a nightmare.

Would people want to sort their own accomodation out, or would something like last years BAA conference be good, where they had basic accom available as a bundle with entry to the conference.

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Dec 22 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #5

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 22 2005, 10:51 PM)
I'd be happy to try and organise something - but realistically, I'd have to organise something that's in the UK. For me to try and arrange facilities, accomodation etc somewhere abroad would be a nightmare.

Would people want to sort their own accomodation out, or would something like last years BAA conference be good, where they had basic accom available as a bundle with entry to the conference.

Doug

Geez!...
Didn't know this was being talked here...
I've posted something somewhere...

Having a private exchange of messages with a member of this forum I was awared to the possibility of a meeting...
Oh...
How I would love to see us gathered around here:
http://www.abiyoyo.com/portugal/lisboa/belem/belem6.jpg

I won't mind organizing it...I'm experienced to stuff like this...
Lisboa | Sintra seems a pretty spot for everyone...Not expensive flights...great accomodations...
http://www.cm-sintra.pt/images/Bank/Seteais.jpg
(for real...)
I was thinking on something like Squyres, Formisano, Doug Ellison...
A weekend would be perfect!
Guests arriving Friday...
Meetings Saturday and Sunday
And on Sunday night | Monday morning...Home you lazy animals!
Dilo...I don't know if you were referring to my idea of mmeting at JPL for the 1000th Spirit's sol but that sounds very nice as well...
I was thinking on the portuguese meeting for march.
And I'm not in favour of a continental meeting...we're all in this together!

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 22 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 239

The answer may well be in the hands of Mr Stelios - EasyJet prices are sometimes so low as to be a trivial element of the whole deal...

...I still like the idea of a series of virtual meetings across the globe - all we need is broadband access, and we can do a series of talks, forums, and silly face-pulling! Perhaps a trial run on Yuri's Night? Or Spirit's Birthsol?

Any thoughts?

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 23 2005, 09:04 AM
Post #7

Founder

I did think that a web-cast based thing would be cool, BUT, you have the trouble of having basically - a crap picture at the end. Seing a lecture in person is cool - but seing one down a webcast could be a bit lame. I walk around, use a laser pointer, make jokes about people who come in late ( don't worry, you've not missed a THING ) and so on - done via a webcase it wouldnt be too good, and it would require quite a lot of expensive hardware that we'd have to beg, steel, borrow, hire.

BUT

We could do a DVD of the end result and get that out to anyone who couldnt make it.
Doug

+Quote Post
Nix
post Dec 23 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #8

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

You know in Belgium we got some good beer...

Though I wouldn't mind coming to Portugal either, for the weather alone. Airline tickets are cheap enough.
We could talk Mars drinking a cocktail on the beach.

No -I do not have a drinking problem.

However web-based is a great idea -especially the 'face-pulling' Bob tongue.gif

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 23 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #9

Guests

Certainly a great idea biggrin.gif
I live in Belgium and both the examples given ( Great Britain & Spain ) would be O.K. smile.gif
If we could do Madrid, we should try to arrange a tour of the facilities!

Let's organize something this summer cool.gif

Post Scriptum: Most Belgians don't have a drinking problem as long as there's liquid available laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Dec 23 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Guests

I like the idea of a webcast / virtual meeting, and BTW Merry X-mas and a happy new roving 2006! smile.gif

+Quote Post
malgar
post Dec 23 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 401

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 22 2005, 11:42 PM)
perhaps we should do one of those 'where everyone is from' google map things ( I can't remember the URL but everyone can add their own pin to the map ) and we could schedule something for the middle of it.

Do you mean Frappr? I've added myself... you have just to add your name and location mars.gif (the nearest if it isn't in the database).

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 24 2005, 03:11 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Nix @ Dec 23 2005, 11:28 AM)
You know in Belgium we got some good beer...

Yes, you do. Also, some really good restaurants. I happened to visit Antwerp several years ago, and stopped at a small mom-and-pop eatery. I had a simple beefsteak and potatoes dinner, but it was covered with a bernaise sauce that I could happily eat with every other morsel of food I consume for the rest of my life... smile.gif

So, yeah, there would be worse places in the world to gather than Belgium.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Steffen
post Dec 24 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 616

Exciting a group meeting, I'm in Germany so that's about the middle of Europe?
Should we start a topic on Who You are & where we are?

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Dec 24 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 212

I totally agree on a meeting somewhere, perhaps several as offered above.

Here is a suggestion I was planning to post somewhere soon and just saw this thread.

Jim Bell has accepted my invitation to give a lecture in Fall 2006 in Princeton, NJ, USA to our astronomy club (AAAP). I am the program chair for the Amateur Astronomers Association of Princeton and we meet on the campus of Princeton University. http://www.princetonastronomy.org/

In addition to a seminar announcement, I have been thinking about possibly expanding this to include Forum participation.

There are several forum members in the local area

I will post more details after finalizing a date with him in a few months. At the meeting he will be autographing his new book "Postcards from Mars". So the date depends on the publishing schedule (ca. Sep to Dec 2006). Both he and Steve Squyres very much appreciate the fine efforts of the community represented here.

So perhaps this is something to keep in mind and those who are interested should please feel free to contact me.

ken

PS: there is a fantastic brewery in Princeton, appropriatly named "Triumph", where we can properly toast the martian twins and Ustrax's Portugese forefathers !!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 24 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #15

Guests

I'm afraid I won't make it to the USA in fall but might travel to Washington D.C. area for the Mars Society meeting in early August.
As far as Europe is concerned I'll pack & travel anywhere ( weather permitting of course ) dry.gif
A get together during July or August would work best for most of us I presume as it's the holiday season cool.gif

Once more; Madrid might be great but we should try to arrange a tour of the DNS facilities ( does anyone know if that's allowed ? )
huh.gif
Philip

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.