Closed TopicStart new topic
UMSF - Server Switch 10th & 11th May
djellison
post May 8 2008, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

After the great 'server drive' fund raising by UMSF members, we have our dual 3ghz server up and running. I have another domain hosted on it already. It has been fast, and 100% stable ( touch wood ) for 2 months.

Thus, the intention is to move UMSF to the new server this weekend.

At approx 1200UT ( 1300 my time ) UMSF will be 'turned off'. The database is rather large, and can not be moved in an instant - nor can the 4Gb of attachments.

After the forum is switched off, a full backup will begin, sending the entire forum content to the new server ( this has been tested just now - and takes 2-3 hours )

Only once the full backup is successfully completed, will the DNS settings be changed, pointing the domain to the new server.

Once the backup is completed, the database must be repopulated on the new server, the attachments moved to the right place, the settings updated and checked - and only once the forum itself is up and running will it be turned 'on' again. At that point, it will take a couple of hours ( potentially significantly less ) for the domain-name shift to propagate across the web to your own ISP.

The move is scheduled for what is the quietest days of the week, and the quietest hours of that day for UMSF - to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Things might not go perfectly, so you'll just have to hold tight.

To keep everyone up to date - I will use a new external blog ( http://umsf.blogspot.com/ ) with news of the transfer - once UMSF is down, check there for details!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 8 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #2

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (djellison @ May 8 2008, 04:53 PM) *
The move is scheduled for what is the quietest days of the week, and the quietest hours of that day for UMSF - to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

You want "quiet"? How lonely did I feel earlier today...???

Attached Image

wink.gif

Great news about the Big Switch. Thanks to everyone involved behind the scenes, and here's to a succesful transfer; in all seriousness I would hate to live in a world without UMSF.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 8 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

Good luck Doug. Hello Stu . . smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 8 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Give 'em hell, Doug, and thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 9 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 197

Perfect. I am also moving my home this weekend so I'm glad to see I won't miss anything as I try to reconnect and reconfigure at the new house.

Now, I'd like a few nods of sympathy from everyone. I am moving from a bustling suburban community to a rural agricultural area. So I won't have the cable TV company that I now use for my internet connection and will be forced to use the local phone company's DSL service...... sad.gif

The consolation is that I now have really dark skies at night, so I may dust off the telescopes and go back to that wonderful hobby again. I might even get myself something newer and state of the art to teach my kids with.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 9 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

Have fun, Dan...(sorry; I know how bad moving sucks!)

Doug, not to scare you, but just for fun I Googled the word 'unmanned'....and UMSF was the fourth ranked hit! For both 'spaceflight' and 'space flight', UMSF was on the 4th page, which is still pretty damn good out of 9.6 million hits.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 9 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 253

QUOTE (djellison @ May 8 2008, 05:53 PM) *
<...>
Thus, the intention is to move UMSF to the new server this weekend.
<...>
To keep everyone up to date - I will use a new external blog ( http://umsf.blogspot.com/ ) with news of the transfer - once UMSF is down, check there for details!

I've bookmarked the link to the "lifeboat", just in case. And while you are in this process and the forum is disabled, may I suggest (you will probably have already taken this into account) that a homepage at www.unmannedspaceflight.com saying "man at work" or something similar should still be available and it should include that same link on it.

Good luck during the switchover!

+Quote Post
remcook
post May 9 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #8

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

good luck! smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 9 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #9

Founder

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 9 2008, 08:49 AM) *
t a homepage at www.unmannedspaceflight.com saying "man at work" or something similar

There's a setting in Invision to turn a board on or off, and when you turn it off, you can put a message up - such as 'Men at Work', or ' Forum unavailable due to server transfer' etc smile.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post May 9 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 682

Not as scary as an EDL but good luck anyway!
I'll see you there and then.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 9 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #11

Founder

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 9 2008, 03:40 AM) *
I am moving from a bustling suburban community to a rural agricultural area.

You do know the countryside smells of poo? That's all there is. Livestock, and poo. I spent the best years of my youth in the countryside, most of it standing in, on, or near...poo.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 9 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #12

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (djellison @ May 9 2008, 08:32 PM) *
You do know the countryside smells of poo? That's all there is. Livestock, and poo. I spent the best years of my youth in the countryside, most of it standing in, on, or near...poo.

The BEST years?! What the **** were you standing in, on, or near during the WORST years?!?!? ohmy.gif

You do the countryside a disservice, sir. We also have the heady aromas of tractors spilling diesel oil... muddy sheep soaked with wee... muddy sheepdogs soaked with sheep wee... Argos chain-decorated chavs splashed with cheap Aldi "Rhino" or "Raptor" aftershave, and other olfactory delights...

Bet all you LA dwellers are reet jealous now, eh? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 9 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #13

Merciless Robot

Speaking as a current LA dweller born & raised in Montana and therefore well-acquainted with the various olfactory byproducts of a number of animals...well, that's why I'm now an LA dweller! tongue.gif (Not that I smell all that good myself, you understand, nor does the city in some places...)

Gotta admit, though, well-aged & dried cow poo does have its applications. Makes a pretty good Frisbee, and of course it's always great to throw at your younger brother...

Believe it or not, though; I miss it. I miss wide-open spaces and few or no faces very badly; really miss the peace of fishing all alone on a big, big river. When I was growing up I was fascinated by the very concept of big cities; never saw one until I was maybe ten years old (Seattle), and it was exciting; thought they were the place to be. Now that I'm an old fart, honestly think that when I retire in 11 years or so will go back to Montana or perhaps southeast Alaska to feed my soul.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 9 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #14

Founder

QUOTE (Stu @ May 9 2008, 08:57 PM) *
The BEST years?! What the **** were you standing in, on, or near during the WORST years?!?!?

Well - http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/art...r_feature.shtml is a start. Have to work next to it - it's bloody 'orrible smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 9 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #15

Merciless Robot

Huh. There are 4 or 5 new condo towers going up right near me in downtown LA that look just like that! Not blue, but they have all that color-window-stuff going on. Must be the latest architectural fad.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.