post Feb 4 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #526

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Feb 4 2008, 09:03 PM) *
but I believe subsidence or contraction would produce concentric fractures
[attachment=13431:Strom02b.jpg]

Just guessing of course, but I wouldn't rule out subsidence and contraction here.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 4 2008, 09:18 PM
Post #527

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Feb 4 2008, 04:03 PM) *
contraction would produce concentric fractures
[attachment=13431:Strom02b.jpg]

Exactly like a cooling pumpkin pie.

When contracting, the central part is pulling equally away on all the rest the mass, so the cracks are concentric.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview...pumpkin_pie.jpg
(no cracks, but it shows the slumping pattern is concentric)

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 4 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #528

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

The problem with ngunn's suggestion is that impacts don't produce vast pools of molten rock. A bit but not the amount he's suggesting. And Mercury isn't hot enough to change that very much. There are apparent melt ponds in the ejecta blankets of some of the bigger basins in these new images - that's where most of it goes. Later volcanism is almost certainly needed rather than impact melt.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Feb 5 2008, 07:20 AM
Post #529

Member No.: 174

Looking at the crack pattern, they are arramged in what averages out as a circular pattern of subsidence features, extending under the "bottom" edge of the impact crater superimposed on the basin. The inner edge of the subsidence ring is most circular. I get a feeling, quite possibly bogus, that there's another impact crater entirely buried under the volcanic fill that's localizing the subsidence pattern around it's rim.

The subsidence features in the "top" part of the ring<image coordinates here> are "wavy", not straight line segments like normal graben and vary in width in a pattern also unlike classic graben seen most everywhere.

I have a feeling we're looking at the result of partial and irregular magma withdrawal from under a thick, perhaps nearly solidified basin filling flow.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 5 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #530

Guests

Not to denigrate the story, but the 'shrinkage' hypothesis has been around since Mariner 10 following discovery of the scarps. See Murray & Burgess, Flight to Mercury (1977, Columbia University Press). This book is an excellent context primer for Messenger, if you can find it.

This book is still available as "Old New Stock" via Amazon.com smile.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 5 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #531

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

This discussion is about the contraction/shrinkage of basin floors, not global contraction.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 5 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #532

Member No.: 542

Note the radial shrinkage pattern in this metal ingot (not the lid wink.gif ) here:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Feb 6 2008, 06:42 AM
Post #533

Member No.: 174

Mariner 10 saw a very interesting pattern of cracks on the smooth fill in the imaged portion of the Caloris basin floor.. There were also some ridges, but they were different from the general planetwide system of scarps. I have great anticipation for Messenger views of the floor of Caloris with optimum sun-angles for topographic views.

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Feb 6 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #534

Member No.: 773

The same kind of pattern is barely visible at the western side of the Caloris floor on the Messenger images. Should be indeed quite impressive with low sun illumination (I'm also thinking about the spider).
Marc.

+Quote Post
peter59
post Feb 6 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #535

Member No.: 299

New image after one week hiatus.
Sullivan crater.

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Feb 6 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #536

Member No.: 156

So - we've got two large craters right next to each other on the terminator. They both look to me to be about the same size, yet one's got a flat floor and the other's a double-ring.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 6 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #537

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Here is a quickie mosaic:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 6 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #538

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Gsnorgathon @ Feb 6 2008, 02:12 PM) *
So - we've got two large craters right next to each other on the terminator. They both look to me to be about the same size, yet one's got a flat floor and the other's a double-ring.

Good observation, that strikes me as odd too. I wonder if the double-ring one is just a crater within a crater. It'd be interesting to clip out a bunch of Mercurian craters and rank them by size and see where the various morphological transitions (bowl -> central peak -> peak ring -> multiring) occur.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Feb 7 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #539

Member No.: 156

That's a good point about the crater-in-crater possibility. I've seen more than a few that remind me of pit craters on Ganymede; in fact, there's a fairly large one at the bottom right of volcanopele's nifty mosaic. There's also that big crater (more or less) right in the middle of the spider. Given all that, the possibility of a pseudo double-ring crater doesn't seem all that low.

Still, it'd be pretty cool if it turned out to be a bona fide double-ring, and that there were some compositional / structural / whatever reasons for two similar sized craters with such different morphologies.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Feb 7 2008, 02:58 AM
Post #540

Member No.: 3995

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 38 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.