85 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight Surface Operations, 26 Nov 2018- 21 Dec 2022
Ant103
post Nov 29 2018, 10:25 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 678

This is odd. I updated the page after cache erase, and now I have the pictures…

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 29 2018, 01:04 PM
Post #62

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

The location 'race' is interesting, but the money quote there to me was that the elbow cam will begin surveying the surroundings next week. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ChrisC
post Nov 29 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 4251

We didn't see any new images appear on the "raw images" site during Sol 2. I'm guessing they must have taken some and downlinked them. Therefore, it appears that we do not have the near-real-time pipeline of images to the public like we've seen on some previous missions, right?

EDIT: I don't want to clutter the forum with a new post, and this forum doesn't support "likes", so ... thank you Doug for your insightful reply! (immediately below)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 29 2018, 04:33 PM
Post #64

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (ChrisC @ Nov 29 2018, 08:14 AM) *
right?

There are huge number of reasons that would cause there to be no images for a given sol. Spacecraft issues, DSN or Relay issues, to just straight up not commanding the acquisition of any images on a given sol.

The InSight raw image page is probably the best version of a raw image pipeline I've ever seen. There is no reason to suggest the pipeline is down right now.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Nov 29 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #65

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

We were warned that this would be a slower paced mission than we're used to.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Nov 29 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 321

I hope this is at least 51% relevant for this thread… I noticed last night that the ExoMars rover's landing platform will also have a seismometer onboard. With a landing date of April 2021, this creates a piquant proximity to Insight's end of main mission. It would surely be a value-add to have two working seismometers on Mars at the same time, so that the location of any large quakes could be pinpointed. It looks like they may overlap either for a short time, if Insight functions for just two years, or perhaps much longer if Insight has the kind of extended lifespan that other martian missions have had.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Nov 29 2018, 05:10 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 29 2018, 06:04 AM) *
What happened to the "raw" images page ?

I see images using your link, but just the six. Three of each view. I wonder when new images will be coming.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Nov 29 2018, 05:40 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 624

This mission will definitely deviate from what we are used to. First, I'm still scratching my head at the torturously slow (three month) deployment of the two surface experiments. Most notably, this is not a picture taking mission. Furthermore, if it hadn't been for the delay over the seismometer, we'd be looking at black and white pictures only. The InSight project upgraded their cameras from single-channel greyscale to RGB colour by replacing the detectors with a Bayer-pattern version of the same resolution as the original detectors. This mission is not designed to take pretty pictures. It's designed to explore the interior of Mars. That will take some adjustments from the rovers where we get a new panorama every few sols.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 29 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 5221

They have to be much more careful with the robotic arm than Phoenix was. The latter could (and did) lose soil out of the scoop due to wind, or just dumped it on the deck of the lander because of how clumpy it was. InSight needs to do the reverse, and carefully take the seismometer, its cover, and heat flow probe into their appropriate spots. As I mentioned above, there is no spacecraft-killing winter at this latitude, so they really have no need to rush.

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Nov 29 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 3233

QUOTE (Steve G @ Nov 29 2018, 06:40 PM) *
This mission will definitely deviate from what we are used to. First, I'm still scratching my head at the torturously slow (three month) deployment of the two surface experiments. Most notably, this is not a picture taking mission. Furthermore, if it hadn't been for the delay over the seismometer, we'd be looking at black and white pictures only. The InSight project upgraded their cameras from single-channel greyscale to RGB colour by replacing the detectors with a Bayer-pattern version of the same resolution as the original detectors. This mission is not designed to take pretty pictures. It's designed to explore the interior of Mars. That will take some adjustments from the rovers where we get a new panorama every few sols.

Presumably there will be curiosity style selfies taken by the camera on the instrument arm to check that the instruments did not move on the deck during the landing and to provide 3D maps of the instrument deployment area.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 29 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #71

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Keep in mind that on a day when we don't get a new image, other things are going on. I don't know what those things might be on any given day, but over the next week or so the arm and the instruments are probably being powered on and checked very carefully to ensure everything is in good shape. Nobody likes images more than I do, and we will see them soon.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Nov 29 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #72

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Steve G @ Nov 29 2018, 06:40 PM) *
... First, I'm still scratching my head at the torturously slow (three month) deployment of the two surface experiments...

Well in reality they are going to be deploying the instruments 2 or 3 times in the sandbox here on Earth, before they do it with Insight on Mars, so that takes time.

+Quote Post
Blue Sky
post Nov 29 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 6317

Between the two pictures, a small rectangular piece of equipment has rotated to the right just in front of the large square black thing, which reveals more of two mysterious white objects that look to be on the ground. I do not see any other white patches in the distance.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Nov 29 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 3988

What is so mysterious about it? That "white patch" is a piece of lander deck hardware.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 29 2018, 08:52 PM
Post #75

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Another thing that is different about InSight is that from the beginning, they are not operating on Mars Time. They're working early and late slide sols as needed, but to keep operational costs lower they did not staff up to the level that would be required for Mars Time operations. So they'll spend some chunk of their time effectively in restricted sols.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:23 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.