IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Exploring Mt Sharp - The Dunes - Part 1: Bagnold Dunes, Site 51-53, Sol 1172-1273, November 24, 2015-March 6, 2016
PaulH51
post Dec 4 2015, 01:01 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 4 2015, 01:15 AM) *
Some great new RMI images looking over the dunes to the terrain beyond, on sol 1181...

Here is a mosaic using the 5 overlapping RMI's (MS ICE)

Flickr Original Size 2647 x 1145 pixels LINK
Imgur LINK
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 4 2015, 02:28 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (Arizona Dave @ Dec 4 2015, 04:50 AM) *
....Can you do for SOL 1176? There is an awesome disturbed area...

Here is the 1176 L-MastCams in a mosaic (using MS ICE), sharpened and enhanced after stitching

Flickr Original Size 9229 x 1852 pixels LINK
Imgur LINK

EDIT: Mission Update by Ken Herkenhoff - Sol 1183: Completing mobility tests. LINK
Today we are planning the last sol of the mobility test, turning and backing out of the sand while taking multiple Hazcam images, then pausing to take Navcam and Mastcam images of the wheel tracks. But first, Mastcam will take multispectral images of a rock named “Narabeb” and a soil target dubbed “Kubib.” The right Mastcam will also acquire another 2x2 mosaic of Secomib, to look for changes in the trench wall, and image the spots where the APXS was placed on the sand. The biggest challenge for me as SOWG Chair today was to prioritize the post-drive data, as the volume of data expected to be received in time for planning tomorrow is smaller than usual. We’re hoping that the rover will drive close enough to “High Dune” to allow contact science on the dark dune sand, so we’ll need good images of the arm workspace. But we’re also planning to drive again this weekend, so we’ll also need images in the direction of the drive. It looks like we will get just enough data to enable a full weekend plan, assuming that all the orbiter and ground assets work as we’ve come to expect.
Later in the afternoon, the ChemCam RMI and right Mastcam will acquire a small mosaic of an outcrop up on Mount Sharp, and both Mastcams will image the ground in front of the rover. Finally, the left Mastcam will acquire a mosaic of the ground and sand to the right of the rover, and MARDI will take another twilight image.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Dec 4 2015, 06:20 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 7273

Looks like on Sols 1174, 1176, and 1178, Curiosity reimaged a small outcrop of bedrock for dust movement.

Bagnold Dune Monitoring - Sol 1176 by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

Interestingly, it looks like there was some wind movement between Sols 1174 and 1176, as most frames show at least a couple white clasts moving between frames. I don't see similar movements between Sol 1176 and 1178.

Here's a preview gif with the frames aligned. It's pretty heavily compressed to get it down under the 1mb limit. It should still be sufficient to see some of the larger clasts moving.

Attached Image

Here's the full size version with less compression. There are a few smaller clasts also moving around.

Due to artifacting in the public data, it's really hard to tell if smaller grains are moving, or if it's just the larger white clasts. It'll be interesting to find out over the coming weeks!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 4 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #34

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This reprojection of the sol 1183 hazcams lets me find the new location for the map.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 5 2015, 03:30 AM
Post #35

Sol 1181 RMI-ChemCam target shown in context on a debayered R-MastCam and HiRISE from Google Earth using Fernando's KML for the path.

I used the measuring tool within GE to estimate the point-to point distance from the rover to the RMI target, which is fractionally under one mile (1575 meters, 0.98 miles). If I have correctly identified the RMI target, it's a ~100 meter (330 feet) wide Butte located ~122 meters (~400 feet) beyond the southern edge of the Bagnold Dunes.
Some of the detail can only be enjoyed by viewing the full size montage at 6440 x 2245 pixels LINK
Imgur mirror LINK

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Dec 5 2015, 07:34 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 3988

A couple of Navcam and Front Hazcam DTM's at our current location from Sol-1183

Navcam DTM Arm workspace:
Attached Image

Adobe 3D PDF (8.8 Megs)
http://bit.ly/1XHDTyK

Hazcam DTM:
Attached Image

Adobe 3D PDF (6.2 Megs)
http://bit.ly/21DIFwB
3D Anaglyph and Component images

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 6 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #37

Sol 1182: Overlapping MAHLI's acquired at Dune #2. Assembled with MS ICE. Presented in raw, enhanced and grey-scale.
Scale bar added in lower right, thanks to Gerald. Focus stacked images have not yet been downlinked, but we can see a lot of detail in these images of the Bagnold Dune sands smile.gif

Flickr Original Size 6834 x 4662 pixels LINK
Imgur LINK

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 7 2015, 11:30 AM
Post #38

Sol 1185: Midnight Planets reports a drive ~31 meters due east, LINK still missing one frame of the end-of drive images to make the 360
Appears after a brief stop to check out some older tracks the rover could be heading for Dune#1?
Here is a look ahead assembled from just 4 L-NavCams using MS ICE while we wait for the last frame
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Dec 7 2015, 12:36 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L view on Sol 1185.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 7 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #40

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Great! This is a circular version of it.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 7 2015, 02:41 PM
Post #41

Context image for the MAHLI mosaic I posted here yesterday. I originally thought these could have been few sand covered hitch-hiking pebbles that were ejected from the inside of the wheel onto the side wall of the trench. Now I am not sure, these could be clumps of compacted sand or a compressed layer of sand. Thoughts?

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Dec 7 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 7273

Upper layer of sand might have a bit of grain interlocking going on. It looks like they just rolled in from the side when the wheel trench slumped.

Murray Buttes - Sol 1181

Murray Buttes - Sol 1181 by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

I debayered the images in gmic, and cleaned up color artifacts with the 'color replacement' tool in Photoshop. A bit of sharpening and color adjustments, and it was good to go!

+Quote Post
neo56
post Dec 7 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 79

My take on this dramatic view of the base of Mount Sharp:

And with a sky extended on Gimp:

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 8 2015, 02:16 AM
Post #44

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Dec 8 2015, 01:54 AM) *
Upper layer of sand might have a bit of grain interlocking going on. It looks like they just rolled in from the side when the wheel trench slumped.
Interesting smile.gif Thanks for the feedback
Creat Processing of those Bayer encoded images guys smile.gif

Here is the Mission Update by Lauren Edgar: Sols 1187-1188: Analyzing bedrock and sand LINK
After successfully completing a mobility test last week (as seen by our wheel tracks through this sand patch), Curiosity drove ~35 m toward a dune that is now named “Namib.” We’ve accomplished a lot of reconnaissance imaging of the dunes, and we’re looking ahead to monitoring the dune slipface and sampling the chemistry and mineralogy of an active dune. We’ve also acquired some beautiful close-up images of the sand grains, as seen in the above MAHLI image that just came down.

Today’s 2-sol plan includes a targeted science block followed by a drive and post-drive imaging, and an untargeted science block on the second sol. Sol 1187 includes several ChemCam and Mastcam observations of the local bedrock at targets named “Rehoboth,” “Hamilton_Range,” and “Twyfelfontein.” We’re also testing out some software for autonomous target selection. Then we’ll drive towards the “Namib” dune and take post-drive imaging to prepare for future targeting. Overnight, Curiosity will perform a SAM Electrical Baseline Test to make sure that the power and data interfaces are all operating smoothly. On the second sol we’ll use ChemCam, Mastcam, and Navcam to monitor the composition and opacity of the atmosphere and search for dust devils.

+Quote Post
neo56
post Dec 8 2015, 08:08 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 79

My take on RMI-Chemcam mosaic colored with a MC100 picture. Pictures taken on sol 1181 at 15h08 and 15h23 local time.

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.