IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Unmanned landing sites from LRO, Surveyors, Lunas, Lunakhods and impact craters from hardware impacts
peter59
post Mar 16 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 299

Luna 23 and Luna 24 smile.gif
http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse/view/M111185087

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 16 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #47

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Moving into this thread from the other one... here's the full resolution data of Lunokhod 2, end of track, with details of its last maneuvers and a dark spot marking the rover. Nice detail in the tracks themselves. Image number is in the file name if you save it.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Mar 16 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 758

Much clearer in the original higher - resolution shot, Phil. Here is what it looks like from the photo Emily L. posted on the Planetary Society blog. This is a negative and clipped image with the contrast adjusted slightly in the old MS Photo Editor - and it is still visible!

Rob

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 16 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #49

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 16 2010, 06:45 AM) *
Moving into this thread from the other one... here's the full resolution data of Lunokhod 2, end of track, with details of its last maneuvers and a dark spot marking the rover. Nice detail in the tracks themselves.

Phil, the gray levels in the plains look posterized -- is that how the original data looks or did the histogram get squished during processing somewhere?

Marvelous to be able to resolve the rover tracks like this!!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 16 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #50

The original is rather low contrast. I'm not doing any calibration etc. - the fully processed versions might be better than this.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 17 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #51

This is an image from the commissioning orbit. Later images from mapping orbit may be better. Image number will follow in a locator image.

I think this is Surveyor 5. Can't be certain yet but several details around it seem to work.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 17 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #52

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

<waiting anxiously for confirmation, hoping Phil pulls a two-fer for the week...>

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 17 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #53

More of a one-fer, I'm afraid. Now I'm afraid to open my mouth.

However, others add more info... Check out this link at the Vernadsky Institute:

http://www.planetology.ru/panoramas/lunokh...anguage=english

... where Sasha Basilevsky has posted the discovery of Lunokhod 1 and Luna 17. That's a much bigger deal than Lunokhod 2 (plus it happens to be correct). I have the full image and I'll post details soon. Tracks are barely visible, unlike those of Lunokhod 2, but that may vary with lighting. However I can see tracks in some cases, especially near the biggest crater. I would not have found this by my preferred method, comparing the old Soviet maps with this, because my main feature, the biggest crater, isn't visible in this view. It must be very subdued and only visible under very low lighting.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maquis
post Mar 18 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 5040

Okay, I've taken a look at NASA site: http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/index.php?/a...nar_Rovers.html

There are some errors on page. First of all the two images of Lunokhod 1 and 2 is actually same image just differently processed. What is shows is Lunokhod 2, which I verified using old soviet map of the trail it took on the surface available here - http://astro4u.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,....html#msg241262

The green rectangle I placed there is - more or less - the data gathered by LRO.

+Quote Post
Geert
post Mar 18 2010, 01:26 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 18 2010, 05:23 AM) *
. where Sasha Basilevsky has posted the discovery of Lunokhod 1 and Luna 17.

That's great news Phil!
On the Soviet side of things, that leaves Luna 16 and Luna 18, both of whom I expect will be discovered in the near future. And offcourse the big price, finding Luna 9 and 13, which will be very very hard given the small size of the landers and the large uncertainty in their positions, but who knows...

I still have the impression that Luna 23 is standing at a very large tilt, possibly with one of two of its legs in the crater or on top of some boulder. Given the size of that lander (which includes the ascent stage) the length of the shadow doesn't seem to add up and sun reflections are very different from Luna 24 which is seen under the same sun angle. An extreme tilt might have disabled the drill and/or the firing of the ascent stage.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 18 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 105

The Quotable Phil is quoted in Science Daily:

Russian Lunar Rover Found: 37-Year-Old Space Mystery Solved

A researcher from The University of Western Ontario has helped solve a 37-year old space mystery using lunar images released March 15 by NASA and maps from his own atlas of the moon...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/...00316164950.htm

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Mar 18 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 18 2010, 04:27 AM) *
The Quotable Phil is quoted in Science Daily...
I wonder if Science Daily will correct their article to indicate the true position of the rover, which readers of this site learned from Phil yesterday.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 19 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #58

I've been trying to get the word out about this, but generally there is less interest in such corrections. You know how it is - the story about a celebrity scandal is on page 1, the correction is on the back page.

The think that really concerned me was how the story turned into a 37-year-old mystery about a lost rover. That was all created by people trying to write eyecatching headlines. But it becomes very embarrassing.

I found what I thought was the Lunokhod in an image - I knew as any of us would have that it was in that specific image, from the coordinates. I saw the dark track and the dark spot but didn't notice the fainter track leading up to the bright spot - I had already cropped the image around the dark spot. But it was about a location in an image. It gets turned into finding a location on the moon, as if it was lost. So now Russians working on this are saying - 'it wasn't lost, we knew where it was all along'. Quite rightly. And people are asking me 'how do you lose a rover on the moon?' - but of course that didn't happen.

Anyway I did a story with AOL yesterday which may help.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 19 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #59

Administrator

Member No.: 454

The story is a bit goofy but at least they have the corrected location:
http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/nas...-rover/19405554

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 19 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 105

Goofy, silly and sensational headlining, but at least word is getting out on the work that LRO (et al) is doing. Take the general media reports with a passel of salt and we'll be OK. The AOL article was tolerable until it lapsed into the Richard Garriot story.

I noticed that the Soviet map matched some craters well enough, some it was off, some way, way off. I'll be interesting when Phil (or someone) is able to rubber-sheet the map to the images.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.