djellison
post Apr 19 2014, 05:30 AM
Post #1621

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Apr 18 2014, 08:33 PM) *
Pluto and Charon are already visible as pixels from NH,

They're visible as more than that in ground based observatories.

'Close' to Pluto though NH may already be, and amazing though LORRI is - for KBO searching it doesn't come close to the capabilities of larger ground based observatories for large area surveys.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Apr 19 2014, 11:15 PM
Post #1622

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

What Doug said is exactly right.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Apr 27 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #1623

Member No.: 590

Are they good enough to reduce the uncertainty in the position of Pluto? I remember a discussion here some years ago that NH might need to take photos over a very large area due to uncertainty about the exact position of Pluto. I've always hated the thought of wasting any precious photos on blank space, so I keep hoping that as NH gets closer, it itself will provide better data. I know I've asked before, but I don't think it was ever possible to give a definitive answer.

One year out, how do you feel about the photo plan?

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Apr 28 2014, 10:55 AM
Post #1624

New Horizons will begin conducting optical navigation to home in on Pluto this summer. ALMA Pluto interferometry is also going into the mix on the orbit solution. Additional optical nav imagery from NH begins to regularly stream in in January.

+Quote Post
tfisher
post Apr 29 2014, 06:50 AM
Post #1625

Member No.: 421

Are there plans to re-measure the source stars for past Pluto occultations, with ALMA or otherwise? It seems like any improvement of the astrometry of those stars ought to translate one-to-one as an improvement in knowledge of the location of Pluto on the date of the occultation.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Apr 29 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #1626

No such plans, but that's a novel idea. I don't believe it's been suggested previously.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Apr 29 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #1627

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

I guess GAIA is too late for that?

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Apr 29 2014, 02:59 PM
Post #1628

Member No.: 557

GAIA will probably observe all those stars multiple times over the next year, but in order to set them in a reference frame it needs to add in all the other stellar observations it's been making, particularly quaser locations. Or at least that's the plan for the overall project. So my guess would be, yeah, too late to start all that now. But it might be worth checking with ESA all the same.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 22 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #1629

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Now that New Horizons is very late in its cruise phase and things are happening at an increasingly rapid pace it's time for a new main NH thread here. The relatively recent late cruise thread is here.

+Quote Post

109 Pages V  « < 107 108 109
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.