Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
future Chang'e landing sites
Paolo
post Apr 24 2016, 06:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

this paper is in Chinese, but it surely is of interest to other UMSFers (and especially Phil Stooke):
Major scientific objectives and candidate landing sites suggested for future lunar explorations

In this study, 18 candidate landing sites, 5 on the nearside, 5 on the farside and 8 at the polar regions, have been recommended
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 24 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Yes indeed! I'm salivating like the fountains at Versailles.

I know the first author personally and spoke to him at LPSC. He will be busy soon with a planetary science meeting in Wuhan, which should be interesting. He has been proposing the Rumker plateau in northern Oceanus Procellarum as a Chang'E 5 landing site, but I suspect the landing will really take place in the young mare basalts south of Aristarchus. Somebody suggested the site would be 1000 km south of CE3, but that is in the Montes Carpatus near Copernicus and probably too rough, but if we don't assume 'south' means 'due south' the Aristarchus area is indeed south of CE3 and 1000 km away. We';; have to see.

This new list of sites is not an official shortlist, it is Long's list of suggestions. He told me the site selection process is not very formalized in China, with input from planetary scientists in a series of MSL-style workshops etc. Rather, a few people get together and come up with a site after a short deliberation. Long hopes that will change. Right now he is suggesting places which address various questions in lunar science, but whether any of them will get used is unclear.

Phil

PS thanks Paolo for all your alerts to new papers and other things, very useful indeed.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:55 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.