IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New science from old Voyager data, Anyone got any examples?
As old as Voyage...
post Mar 10 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1462

Can anyone suggest instances where reprocessed and reinterpreted Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 data have yielded new scientific insight?

I have the following so far:

Phil Stooke's reprocessed images of saturn's moons.
Phil Stooke's reprocessing of Ariel Uranus-shine images.
Titan's surface visible in reprocessed orange filter Voyager 1 images.
The discovery of Perdita (1986U10) in 1999 using Voyager 2 Uranus data.

Does anyone know of any more?

--------------------
It's a funny old world - A man's lucky if he gets out of it alive. - W.C. Fields.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Mar 10 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 523

Titan's surface visible in reprocessed orange filter Voyager 1 images.
Has this actually provided any new scientific insight? I was under the impression this was an experiment based on the fact Titan's surface was marginally dectable at longer wavelengths. This was using old data in hindsight, as Hubble already showed the surface could be detected, Voyager dataset itself not detecting the surface first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
As old as Voyage...
post Mar 10 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #3

I agree the reprocessed Voyager images of Titan don't compare to those of Cassini and therefore their scientific value isn't that high. It is pretty cool though, that we got to see hints of Titan's surface in 1980 but didn't appreciate it.

--------------------
It's a funny old world - A man's lucky if he gets out of it alive. - W.C. Fields.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Mar 10 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #4

I wouldn't go as far as to say we got to see the surface in 1980. We could have seen it if someone pulled this tricky processing on the data, but it's questionable whether that was possible back then.

In any case, here's an interesting theory about Saturn ring spokes Emily wrote about a while back. It's apparently based at least partially on geometrically calibrated Voyager data.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Mar 11 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 156

The "new" Titan data from Voyager at least provides some info on Titan's rotation - not necessarily thrilling, but it does tell us something we wouldn't necessarily know otherwise.

+Quote Post
As old as Voyage...
post Mar 11 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (ugordan @ Mar 10 2007, 03:22 PM) *
I wouldn't go as far as to say we got to see the surface in 1980. We could have seen it if someone pulled this tricky processing on the data, but it's questionable whether that was possible back then.

In any case, here's an interesting theory about Saturn ring spokes Emily wrote about a while back. It's apparently based at least partially on geometrically calibrated Voyager data.

Thanks for the link. That's very interesting. I hadn't realised Saturn's 'spokes' were not actually radial to the planet. Great stuff, thanks ugordan!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Mar 11 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 162

Voyager II saw some (apparent) white peaks on Iapetus off the (presumed) west end of the equatorial ridge structure.

We (hopefully) get to understand their significance in the upcoming September flyby.

Dark crater floors of Hyperion and Cassini Regio on Iapetus might have been understood as variants of the same physical process (if it turns out to be).

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 12 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #8

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (As old as Voyager @ Mar 11 2007, 02:26 PM) *
Thanks for the link. That's very interesting. I hadn't realised Saturn's 'spokes' were not actually radial to the planet. Great stuff, thanks ugordan!

Well, to be more specific, it would have been impossible to tell if it was the surface or cloud features. Looking back, with HST and other data in hand, we can tell. When these features were first seen by telescopes, we figured out they weren't clouds because they didn't move. Voyager, with its speedy flyby, had no such luxury. So even with modern processing techniques, we couldn't have been sure until the later data was in hand. Still, going back and finding the features in Voyager data does give us a longer baseline of surface monitoring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
As old as Voyage...
post Mar 13 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (tasp @ Mar 11 2007, 08:43 PM) *
Voyager II saw some (apparent) white peaks on Iapetus off the (presumed) west end of the equatorial ridge structure.

We (hopefully) get to understand their significance in the upcoming September flyby.

Dark crater floors of Hyperion and Cassini Regio on Iapetus might have been understood as variants of the same physical process (if it turns out to be).

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know Voyager 2 images had been enhanced to show the 25 km peaks of Iapetus' ridge. Roll on September!

Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2000/pdf/1596.pdf

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Mar 13 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 162

I appreciate the link to the paper, very interesting. I had felt the Iapetan crust was quite rigid very early on and I note I am note alone in this conviction. That a spheroidal Iapetus might be expected to take 1 billion years to tide lock with Saturn is interesting, too. However, it was my impression that even an irregular object might take a quite a long time to tide lock at Iapetus' distance if it was rigid throughout, and not molten or viscous inside.

I attempted to fuse the images in Figure 3 into stereo views of the peaks. Unfortunately, the lettering and the fuzziness and a Reseau mark all inhibited the effect and gave me a headache.

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Mar 13 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 426

The Voyager images will also be useful for looking at changes in the rings over the past 25 years.

I'm sure that, for example, the Voyager images of the D Ring will be getting a very thorough re-scouring, since its appearance is different now.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jun 13 2007, 06:25 AM
Post #12

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Here's the discovery image of Perdita (1986U10) - quite an amazing picture:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
um3k
post Jun 13 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 372

QUOTE (Ian R @ Jun 13 2007, 02:25 AM) *
Here's the discovery image of Perdita (1986U10) - quite an amazing picture:

Wow, that almost looks too good to be a Voyager picture!

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jun 13 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #14

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

This cannot be a Voyager image. For one thing, the rings are far too bright relative to Uranus. The image also looks too 'clean'. Looks like a computer generated image to me, probably one illustrating what's visible in the original discovery image.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 13 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #15

It could be a separately processed view of the rings and planet and then merged together to reconcile the great brightness difference. Uranus looks way too green to me here, the whole image could be a simple coloration of a grayscale image. The fainter ring region is noticeably noisy, something I wouldn't expect from a computer generated image.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.