Reply to this topicStart new topic
MGS in Trouble, Formerly: MGS in safe mode
Guest_Analyst_*
post Nov 8 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Guests

Did nobody notice this:

Ground Team Stays Busy on 10th Anniversary of NASA Mars Launch

Ten year after launch, there is some trouble with a solar array motor and a comm problem probably resulting from this and entering safe mode. Nothing dramatic yet, but something to follow closely.

There are other things than MRO and MER smile.gifsmile.gif

Analyst
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 9 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #2

Guests

Well losing it wouldn't be good for the already loaded communications relays ... huh.gif
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0611/08mgs/
mars.gif

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Nov 9 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1062

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 9 2006, 12:52 PM) *
Well losing it wouldn't be good for the already loaded communications relays ... huh.gif
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0611/08mgs/
mars.gif

I would think it would help, one less mission to keep track of. Not that I'm saying I want MGS dead, just that if it were to be dead, it would make life easier for the DSN people.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 9 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (tuvas @ Nov 9 2006, 11:59 AM) *
I would think it would help, one less mission to keep track of. Not that I'm saying I want MGS dead, just that if it were to be dead, it would make life easier for the DSN people.

I bet Mike Caplinger would disagree with you.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 9 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #5

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

It would be a real loss to have this happen now. With MARCI taking over the role that MOC's wide angle global images have filled for so long, it would be nice to have some overlapping coverage. Not to mention having TES and passive MOLA coverage overlapping MRO. And, as for MOC high resolution, the amount of the planet covered by MOC so far and what HIRISE can hope to cover is a small percentage, so more would be very helpful. I hope the mission continues until it either breaks down (lets hope it hasn't) or has instrument failures that render it useless.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Nov 9 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #6

Guests

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn10...mars-probe.html

From reading this it seems that currently all communications have been lost and they don't know if it is in safe mode at all.

Interestingly they might try and observe MGS with MRO ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 9 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #7

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Well - it would be a very cool picture from HiRISE....but I hope we don't have to see it and that they can get MGS back online.

Doug

+Quote Post
lyford
post Nov 10 2006, 01:20 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 124

Or this could all be a plot to get an orbital portrait of MGS.... biggrin.gif
I agree with Doug, but almost hope that we get contact established just after the imaging:
"Never mind on that HiRiSE shot... what? Already taken? Just put it over there on the front page of the NASA portal then..." tongue.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Nov 10 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #9

I'm impressed with this news source, after hearing about it, I looked in the archives to see if we had been contacted about the possibility, it hasn't been for very long that it has been the case... But, HiRISE has been contacted in some kind of official capacity to perhaps image MGS, all I can say is, it would be quite a trick... Not only for it's dificultly, but also it's timing. Still it would be cool;-) We're already the first to photograph a rover on another planet that's confirmed beyond anyone's doubt, why not add a satellite to the mix (Which I do recall has been done).

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 10 2006, 02:29 AM
Post #10

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Indeed it has been done -- one of the many landmark accomplishments of MGS.
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2005/05/19/

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 10 2006, 04:04 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (tuvas @ Nov 9 2006, 05:47 PM) *
We're already the first to photograph a rover on another planet that's confirmed beyond anyone's doubt

How could there be any doubt with MOC image below, especially since Opportunity's EXACT position at the time was known?

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2005/01/24/

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Nov 10 2006, 05:54 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 9 2006, 09:04 PM) *
How could there be any doubt with MOC image below, especially since Opportunity's EXACT position at the time was known?

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2005/01/24/

I stand corrected, but we do still have the best picture ;-)

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post Nov 10 2006, 07:42 AM
Post #13

Guests

Better see a mission end this way than by a shortage of funding. Even better to see it going on.

Analyst

+Quote Post
slinted
post Nov 10 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 21

To head off any freak-out about the potential impact on the MER relays, keep in mind that MGS is doing only minor relay duty compared to Mars Odyssey. I don't know if more recent data has been published, but as of January 05, only 7% of the rover data came down through MGS ( see "The Care and Feeding of the MER GDS")

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 10 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #15

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

As I understand it - relays are JUST Odyssey now and have been for a long time...i.e. MGS stopped doing relay before the first solar conjunction.

Meanwhile from New Scientist

"If the spacecraft does not receive commands from Earth for seven days in a row, it is programmed to stop whatever it is doing and try to transmit a signal to Earth using its high gain antenna. This could happen at about 0014 GMT on Friday (1614 PST on Thursday), so NASA will be listening for a signal from MGS's high gain antenna at that time."

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wspace?t...=1&showsc=1

That would have been a Canberra pass.

Doug

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.