IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Geomorphology of Cape York and Solander Point, Examining Opportunity's destination at Endeavour Crater
CosmicRocker
post Feb 13 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

That's right, Stu. The profiles in pgridrods's first image in his post above show it very nicely, even if the vertical and horizontal scales are not identical. Those profiles are essentially showing that Opportunity will not really need to climb up to get on top of Cape York. The idea to take away from this whole discussion is that Opportunity should be able to drive right over the top of Cape York with little trouble, unless boulders or loose sand block the way. The steepest slopes are on the back side of the Cape, and those apparently average 7-9 degrees.

Regarding the hills to the south, his topo maps posted above and earlier in another thread show them to have much more significant topography.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 13 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #62

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Thanks cosmic; I had read those posts... I was just recapping whilst virtually banging my head against my computer screen! laugh.gif

I've just been messing about on using Google Mars with the latest .kml file, and if you stretch the vertical exaggeration to 3 the true nature of Cape York becomes clearer...

Attached Image

Attached Image

When you look at it more closely it looks like material flowed and rolled over Cape York from the west, doesn't it..?

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
serpens
post Feb 13 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 4605

Stu. I see what you mean. The NW rim has been eroded flat and the Meridiani sulphate sediments have flowed into the crater. Flowed tends to imply fluvial action but that terrace around Cape York does remind me of a shallow shoreline, sandbar – rip channel system. Vikingmars’ "Dagger Valley" at the North end fits that scenario as a rip outflow channel. Cape York may be topography challenged but it is a fascinating destination.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 13 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 542

Stu - or anyone handy with Google Mars - can you identify the hills on the horizon behind Cape York in your two lower views?

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 13 2011, 01:40 PM
Post #65

The Poet Dude

Wider angle view...

Attached Image

Remember, tho, that everything is vertically stretched x3

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Feb 13 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #66

You have to be very careful when looking at elevations using Google Mars. As I and others have pointed out, most of the topographic information used in Google mars is based on the MOLA coverage, which is not uniform, and typically not very closely spaced. Large stretches of Endeavor's rim were not sampled at all by MOLA shot points, so elevation maps derived from them do not display accurate elevations where topography is changing rapidly between MOLA lines and sample points. Emily posted a very nice kml file that will display those shot points in Google Mars. I think it was in the Distant Vistas thread.

One area of Mars that has higher frequency elevation coverage in Google Mars is Victoria Crater. That area has been populated with a digital elevation model based on more closely sampled points, probably based on a HiRise stereo pair. If you look at Victoria Crater in Google Mars you will see much more topographic detail than most anywhere else.

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 13 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #67

The Poet Dude

Oh I agree, absolutely. I don't rely on GM, good as it is, for anything. But it is useful for giving a 'general impression' I'm sure you'll agree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 13 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 13 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Wider angle view...

Thanks. So, am I right in thinking that's part of the Miyamoto rim in the background? (Sorry, OT I know.)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 14 2011, 03:28 AM
Post #69

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I'd like to remind those of you engaging in this discussion of this post in which I brought all of the available MOLA ground tracks into Google Mars. You can see that all the ground tracks completely miss the entire western rim of Endeavour, so the MOLA data simply doesn't record the elevation of the rim. It's not in the data at all. It would be a much more productive exercise to do photoclinometry or develop a DEM from stereo imaging, as pgrindrod is trying to do...

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 14 2011, 06:40 AM
Post #70

The Poet Dude

Oh, heck, we were just having a bit of fun speculating.

But ok, I'll go tidy my room... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 14 2011, 06:49 AM
Post #71

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 13 2011, 10:40 PM) *
But ok, I'll go tidy my room... smile.gif

... and while you are up there write out 100 times THERE IS NO MOLA DATA FOR THE RIM OF ENDEAVOR CRATER or there'll be no wandering around that castle of yours in the dark this evening, young man.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Feb 15 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 2873

Just to add to the ways of getting across the geomorphology of Cape York, here's a red-blue analglyph of my Cape York DEM (plus contours).

Attached Image

And just in case that isn't overkill, here's a movie of the same area.
You Tube animation - Cape York

As you can tell, the resolution is turned way down in that movie (still managed to crash my computer several times!), and I don't yet have my pilot's licence. If my computer doesn't melt, expect a flurry of these things.
Pete

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Feb 16 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #73

Nice, Pete; but I think you got the red and cyan layers reversed. We can put our glasses on backwards to make it work, but if you are going to crank out a flurry of these things it might be best to reverse the colors. cool.gif Thanks for all the good work, by the way.

The animation was very effective. smile.gif

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 16 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 98

Excellent movie and anaglyph. But yes, the red and cyan layers need to be reversed, or we need to wear our glasses upside-down.

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Feb 16 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 193

While we have seen very nice DEMs and a couple of lower-res anaglyphs of Cape York, I just thought an anaglyph in original size would be interesting for comparison. Only the north part was able to be included here within the maximum upload size, however I hope it's worth it.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.