IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Image Enhancement for Mineral Identification
CosmicRocker
post Oct 18 2011, 06:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

I'm not sure that those filter combinations will be more helpful than the one I posted. We need something that specifically targets the infrared fingerprint of hematite, like this image of Snout in Eagle Crater. I'm waiting for a good R5 so I can make one of those.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
CosmicRocker
post Oct 19 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

The enhanced color images you guys have made definitely help us better see the spherical clasts in this soil. I wonder if we'll get any MIs.

Bill: You are right about that file name. It gives the recipe for the R, G, and B channels of the composite image. At first I didn't know how to divide two images, but a friend who is an image processing expert showed me how to do it. I use Photoshop, but I am sure other software has similar abilities. If there is interest in the topic, we can start a thread in "Image Processing Techniques." I'll try to summarize the process here.

For example, to divide R1 by R2, I would create an image with two layers...R1 on top and R2 below. I leave R2's blending mode as a "normal," but set the R1 blending mode to "screen." Next, I insert an adjustment layer between R1 and R2 and set it to "invert." Finally, I merge all the layers together into one flat image that will be R1/R2. The terminology I am using is from my old version of Photoshop. Your software may call these modes and layers by other names.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.