85 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kepler Mission
SpaceListener
post Mar 6 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 3299

I am trying to find out about the future position of Kepler with respect to Earth. So far I have found the following info which does not satisfy me since it does not tell me about how far will be Kelper following up to Earth with a constant distance?

Sixty-two minutes after launch, Kepler will have separated entirely from its rocket and will be in its final Earth-trailing orbit around the sun, an orbit similar to that of NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope.

unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
remcook
post Mar 6 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #62

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

My impression was that it would move further and further away from Earth.
Google is very useful:
http://redorbit.com/images/gallery/kepler/...3/41/index.html

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Mar 6 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 3989

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Mar 7 2009, 12:13 AM) *
future position of Kepler with respect to Earth.

I went here http://kepler.nasa.gov/sci/design/orbit.html

NASA press kit is interesting - orbit info on page 14 http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/314125main_Kepler_...2-19_smfile.pdf

Kepler needs uninterrupted viewing to ensure most efficient use of observation time for planetary transits ("100,000 stars will be monitored continuously and simultaneously")!!!!! - therefore it is being put into a heliocentric orbit that trails behind the earth where earth/moon will not block the view. Also important - being further away from effects of things like earth/moon gravity, magnetoshpere etc means good stability and so better pics. Kepler's orbit will gradually fall further behind the Earth (worst case 0.5 AU after 4 years) but it will still be within communications range even after the end of the nominal mission - 3.5 years. Will probably get funding a bit longer after that.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Mar 6 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #64

Thank you HughFromAlice. Its heliocentric orbit takes 371 days means that it will be keeping away from Earth in every year until it will meet again with Earth in very far future. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Mar 6 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #65

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Man...Jon Jenkins back at BTC contagiated me with is emotions...if I was intending to stay calm I can't avoid to become all emotional... tongue.gif

"I’ve been waiting for this moment for 14 years. Tonight, NASA Discovery Program’s Kepler Mission will blast off at 10:48 pm from Canaveral Air Force Station taking the hopes and dreams of myself and so many other people who’ve worked so hard for so long to make this moment happen. It feels like I’m on a roller coaster on its way up to the first big hill, ka-ching, ka-ching. I can just start to see the big drop just beyond the crest of the tracks, and at launch there will be no turning back and we’ll be taken along for one of the most thrilling rides of our lives. Yesterday I watched “Magnificent Desolation” at the IMAX theater at KSC Visitor Complex. Unbidden tears formed in my eyes and flowed down my cheeks towards the end of the film. The enormity of the goals and aspirations achieved by the Apollo Program are overwhelming."

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 7 2009, 12:26 AM
Post #66

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Great, moving words. I think all of us are pretty excited, but I can only imagine how the team members feel right now.

GO KEPLER!!!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Mar 7 2009, 06:07 AM
Post #67

Guests

Looks like launch was successful.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Mar 7 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 3511

Brilliant launch Kepler, (I'm Ecstatic)
Go Find 'Em
Flea on the Headlight! cool.gif

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 7 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #69

Guests

Indeed, together with CoRoT a very interesting mission to look forward to...
BIS Spaceflight May 2009 will have an article on Kepler wink.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 7 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #70

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Gorgeous launch pics by Ben Cooper...

http://www.launchphotography.com/Kepler.html

Second one is an absolute beauty, Ben, well done! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FrankB
post Mar 7 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 4631

I don't know about Corot... It seems it didn't gone so well with planets detections There is a new article here: http://www.cnes.fr/web/CNES-fr/7492-jour-de-chance.php
I tried to translate it with google and I am pretty disapointed:

To date, 7 CoRoT exoplanet discovered with certainty, including the smallest ever detected. This is an array of hunting already significant, but it is actually far less than what the researchers expected to discover. "We are half the planets as we had hoped" said Peter Barge. "We were so intrigued that we first thought there was a problem in detection methods. We distributed to all teams of the light curves with simulated transits to see if it was the methods of signal processing that were reviewed. But all the simulated planets had been identified ... " Another hypothesis, that of a noise, a disturbance signal which would be higher for low-light stars, often longer. "We will soon be able to better filter the residual instrumental noise on the low stars. We will see then if we find the planets expected. » " But if no new planet revealed the tip of the eclipse, it should be made to face the facts: the problem will not come from the instrument, but the stars themselves. "Maybe the planets are formed preferentially in our little galaxy" advance Pierre Barge with a smile. "Maybe the planets are formed preferentially in our little galaxy" advance Pierre Barge with a smile. The Sun and its retinue of planets and that a majority of the exoplanets detected are located in one arm of the galaxy, the Orion arm, a fairly dense area that could be more conducive to the formation of planets and other regions. But for now, this is still a hypothesis, "says the researcher.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post Mar 7 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 4093

Does anybody know where I can find the spice kernels for Kepler? Since it's orbiting the Sun, I would want to include it on my site.

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Mar 7 2009, 01:43 AM) *
since it does not tell me about how far will be Kelper following up to Earth with a constant distance?

It will slowly fall behind Earth as it goes around the Sun ... Kepler orbits the Sun and not Earth. To keep it at a constant distance from Earth would involve at least two major trajectory correction maneuvers, so it is much more efficient to launch it into an orbit which is similar to that of Earth

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Mar 7 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #73

I am glad to know that the launch of Kepler was stunning and succesfull in spite of the fact that there were minor problems with some delay of relaying data to space center.

+Quote Post
BrianJ
post Mar 7 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 636

Congratulations on a succesful launch to everyone involved with the Kepler mission.

I have two questions which someone here may be able to enlighten me on:

1. Why wasn't an L2 orbit used (similar to the forthcoming Herschel and Planck missions)? Wouldn't an L2 orbit give a longer mission lifetime?

2. If/when an exo-planet is detected, is there any way to determine the eccentricity of it's orbit (either by Kepler or by ground based observations)?

Best regards,
Brian

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Mar 7 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 184

Yes, the radial velocity method can determine the eccentricity...

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:40 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.