Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mars Scout Program Cancelled?
Drkskywxlt
post Jul 29 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1083

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1007/29scout/

I hadn't heard this elsewhere and a quick google of "mars scout cancellation" pulled up nothing about this. The article quotes an interview with Doug McCuiston, so it sounds legit. Apparently, since Mars is now included in Discovery proposals, they feel that covers the low-priced Mars missions adequately. They also feel that no high-quality science can be garnered from such small missions going forward. As a Mars atmosphere guy, I beg to differ on that...

I doubt Mars missions are going to fare well in Discovery proposal reviews since Mars gets it's own budget and areas like small body, inner solar system, and perhaps even the outer solar system get such infrequent missions by comparison.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
vjkane
post Jul 30 2010, 06:36 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 351

I believe that budgets did in the Scout program. It was initiated when projected budgets for the Mars program were substantially larger than turned out to be the case. The cost overruns for the Mars Science Laboratory also squeezed funding for Mars programs.

Mars missions may fair well in the Discovery program. Many ideas I've seen seem compelling and Mars oribters are probably low risk. Remember that despite many lunar missions, the last Discovery selection went to a pair of lunar orbiters (GRAIL).

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.