36 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MESSENGER News Thread, news, updates and discussion
antipode
post Mar 11 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #406

Group: Members
Member No.: 1206

Is there any indication that these features are more common at the 'heat pole' longitude?

P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 12 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #407

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Not yet - only very preliminary results on global distribution have been reported so far, but it will take the full mission's worth of high resolution imaging to get a feel for the real distribution.

Phil Stooke

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Mar 17 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #408

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (tanjent @ Mar 10 2012, 08:46 AM) *
Some of those raised blobs in the crater look like the result of surface tension - something that you might see after a spill of molten metal had solidified.

Yes I noted the similarity also for the crater image. Tin have quite some surface tension and if poured on a plate it can look almost like that. The scale here is different though, what is interesting is that these can be found in various kinds of terrain as ngunn pointed out. I am somewhat inclined to think of this as a result of sublimation not of a single element but a composite.

And thank you Phil Stooke, yes it will take a lot more images, though I understand that Messenger will not imagine any larger part of Mercury in high resolution.
Not that I am complaining, Messenger have revealed quite some interesting facts about Mercury already. smile.gif

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 17 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #409

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (TheAnt @ Mar 17 2012, 12:07 PM) *
yes it will take a lot more images, though I understand that Messenger will not imagine any larger part of Mercury in high resolution.
Not that I am complaining, Messenger have revealed quite some interesting facts about Mercury already. smile.gif

Not exactly true...

http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/news_room/details.php?id=195
"The eight-hour orbit will provide 50% more low-altitude observation opportunities of Mercury's north polar regions, including permanently shadowed craters," explains MESSENGER Mission Design Lead Jim McAdams of APL. "A one-third reduction in maximum altitude relative to the 12-hour orbit will enable higher-resolution imaging of the southern hemisphere."

I think what's not said there is that it's (I think) still hitting perihermion at the same pole as before, but resolution will improve at both poles.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Apr 2 2012, 04:23 AM
Post #410

Member No.: 624

This is obviously an April 1st joke the Messenger is pulling on us.

Mercury's moon

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Apr 2 2012, 04:25 AM
Post #411

mad.gif I read the full text, yep, not impressed.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Apr 2 2012, 04:28 AM
Post #412

QUOTE (Steve G @ Apr 1 2012, 08:25 PM) *
My first thought it was a low rez image of Gaspra.

Tell me this isn't an April fools joke. I just read the full text . . .

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 2 2012, 04:38 AM
Post #413

I would've appreciated a low-res death star.

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Apr 2 2012, 04:44 AM
Post #414

Member No.: 528

I thought it was most ammusing. Particularly the mission name Min-C (play on Max-C for those who don't religously follow Mars Exploration Program)

The science world benefits from a good sense of humor. Thanks guys, it made my day.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 2 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #415

It's Ida.

Maybe not the greatest April Fools joke ever, but not bad. Check out the Google Lunar X Prize website where the part Time Scientists proposed to create a lunar atmosphere so they could parachute to the surface.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Apr 2 2012, 11:37 AM
Post #416

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

H.O.A.X. was a bit of a clue too.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 2 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #417

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

We're quick to criticise scientists who are po-faced and don't engage with the public. I say well done to the MESSENGER people behind this skit; makes space exploration much more human! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Apr 2 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #418

Member No.: 181

Great laugh! smile.gif I love the Armageddonish physics of MIN-C along with the final if-all-else-fails face-palm giveaway of the Hermean On-surface Analysis with X-rays mission. Golden.

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 17 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #419

http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/news_room/details.php?id=214
This maneuver – which adjusted the orbital period from 11 hours, 36 minutes to 9 hours, 5 minutes – was designed to deplete the remaining oxidizer of the spacecraft’s propulsion system in a final firing of the large bi-propellant thruster. A second maneuver, scheduled for the evening of April 20, will use the spacecraft’s monopropellant system to complete the transition to an 8-hour orbit.

There goes the big engine...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 20 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #420

Today's MESSENGER picture of the day is a pair of craters in the north polar Goethe basin. Here I have enhanced subtle features in the shadows, visible in light reflected off the sunlit northern crater wall. With the raw data much more will be possible. This is being done with Vesta as well, revealing details in the northern latitudes we would not see otherwise.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.