4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spirit Clouds In Latest Pancam Images ?
ilbasso
post May 7 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

The other cool thing is that Earth's Moon would be visible as a naked eye object from Mars. Today from Gusev, the Earth is magnitude -2.73 (as bright as Jupiter is here right now), and the Moon would be seen as a magnitude 1.3 'star' about 5.5 minutes of arc from the Earth, or about 1/6th the diameter of the full Moon as seen from Earth.

In a telescope, the Earth would be a crescent about 14" of arc in diameter. With small amateur telescopes, you would just barely be able to make out the Moon as anything other than a point of light.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David
post May 8 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 56

There's no point in sending probes to Earth -- everybody knows that with the runaway greenhouse effect of its thick atmosphere, the surface is far too hot for life to develop. Three quarters of its surface is covered with noxious molten water, and showers of molten water precipitate over most of the surface area, effectively sterilizing the solid areas. If life on Earth were even remotely possible, you'd have to look for it on the relatively hospitable (if scorchingly hot) southern polar cap.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 8 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #33

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

If you had a 12 inch telescope with a 2048 x 2048 CCD installed - you might get a view a little like this

http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/r03_r09/im...5/R0500763.html for the raw data smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Edward Schmitz_*
post May 8 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (David @ May 8 2005, 10:12 AM)
There's no point in sending probes to Earth -- everybody knows that with the runaway greenhouse effect of its thick atmosphere, the surface is far too hot for life to develop.  Three quarters of its surface is covered with noxious molten water, and showers of molten water precipitate over most of the surface area, effectively sterilizing the solid areas.  If life on Earth were even remotely possible, you'd have to look for it on the relatively hospitable (if scorchingly hot) southern polar cap.

I like that! We get so stuck on oursevles, that we can forget this isn't the one true perspective.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 8 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #35

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think every probe that leaves the earth and is so-equiped should image the earth on departure - simply as a reminder of where and what we are. It may be only a few pixels, or even just a pale blue dot - but it speaks volumes

Doug

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 8 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #36

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Talking about looking back at Earth, there will be an amazing event visible in Mars's sky in a few decades time...

http://www.newmars.com/archives/000130.shtml

--------------------

+Quote Post
wyogold
post May 8 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 195

QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ May 8 2005, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (David @ May 8 2005, 10:12 AM)
There's no point in sending probes to Earth -- everybody knows that with the runaway greenhouse effect of its thick atmosphere, the surface is far too hot for life to develop.  Three quarters of its surface is covered with noxious molten water, and showers of molten water precipitate over most of the surface area, effectively sterilizing the solid areas.  If life on Earth were even remotely possible, you'd have to look for it on the relatively hospitable (if scorchingly hot) southern polar cap.

I like that! We get so stuck on oursevles, that we can forget this isn't the one true perspective.

ha ha ha.
that is great.

dream what could be not what is.

scott

+Quote Post
wyogold
post May 8 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 195

QUOTE (djellison @ May 8 2005, 05:35 PM)
If you had a 12 inch telescope with a 2048 x 2048 CCD installed - you might get a view a little like this

http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/r03_r09/im...5/R0500763.html for the raw data smile.gif

Doug

that wrinkles my brain.....I live in that photo somewhere. I have a much clearer view of the moon. We sent a probe from here (or there depending on which perspective you looking at it) And it took a picture of us. blink.gif

As I sit in my house thinking I'm on that blue dot and it would take me several days to go around the entire thing. Oh yahhh, there is a LOT of space out there.

scott

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post May 9 2005, 02:40 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Stu @ May 8 2005, 07:43 PM)
Talking about looking back at Earth, there will be an amazing event visible in Mars's sky in a few decades time...

This event will happen November 10, 2084, for those who are making travel plans.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 9 2005, 04:48 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (ilbasso @ May 8 2005, 09:40 PM)

This event will happen November 10, 2084, for those who are making travel plans.

Well, why not? I'll only be 129 years old by then...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 9 2005, 07:13 AM
Post #41

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (ilbasso @ May 9 2005, 02:40 AM)

I know WE won't see it, but it will be a heck of a thing for the settlers on Mars at that time to witness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post May 9 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 239

David:

Your interpretation of the life-bearing possibilities of Earth are just so Mars-centric! We Jovians know full well that water per se isn't a poison, it's full of nice fresh Hydrogen, just waiting to be cracked out of that useless Oxygen stuff! Yummy!

Earth *could* support life, but only where the pressure is halfway bearable, and first indications indicate that there may be one or two spots in the lowest portions of the atmosphere which could be barely habitable (if rather hot). As for the semi-vacuum above the atmosphere, those rock surfaces may be a valuable source of Silicon Dioxide and Aluminium so don't write them off. Perhaps we could develop rovers to perform some initial sample collections...

Yours,

A Kraken

(With apologies to John Wyndham)

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
um3k
post May 9 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 372

QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 9 2005, 12:48 AM)

-the other Doug

I'll only be 95! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post May 9 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #44

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (um3k @ May 9 2005, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 9 2005, 12:48 AM)

-the other Doug

I'll only be 95! biggrin.gif

I will be 105! Hmmmm.....I was thinking about going for some fast-food for lunch, but I think I'll pass..... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 9 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #45

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

110...And then I'll tell all my grand children about those glory days back in the beggining of the century when even this old rug could see an abyss where others saw a hole...
One of those grand children did even stay at the Ultreya Inn the night before a spelunking tour on the site... cool.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.