IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL - Astronomical Observations, Phobos/Deimos, planetary/celestial observations and more
Gerald
post Apr 30 2015, 03:29 AM
Post #361

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 29 2015, 05:48 AM) *
... you could integrate along the star trail to beat down noise...

Based on two Sol 635 MR Regulus images (one used to clean the other one by subtraction of the darkest of both), here a somewhat more detailed regression analysis:
This image is a 32x32 pixels crop of the cleaned version of 0635MR0027010010401805E01_XXXX.JPG, magnified (nearest neighbor) by 64, and annotated:
Attached Image

In a first analysis step each of the 32 columns of pixels is treated as a separate sample of data.
The green channel of each pixel is squared and taken as a weight to average the pixel position, and to calculate the standard deviation.
The results of this step are visualized as red or green lines (mean, mean + stddev, mean - stddev).
Lines are green, if the summed weight (using squared pixel values) are above a trigger value of 400 (maximum possible value is 32x255˛), and the standard deviation is below 1.5 pixels.
Else lines are drawn in red, and discarded as invalid for further analysis.

The weighted means of the remaining 9 valid columns are interpreted as values of a function of the horizontal pixel position.
By a standard linear regression method, the equation of the best-fitting (minimal RMS error) linear function is determined.
The linear function is drawn in blue within the considered interval.

Here a diagram of the residuals, meaning the differences between the weighted means of the pixel columns and the linear regression function:
Attached Image

The standard deviation of the 9 residuals is about 0.157 pixels.
The standard deviation of the mean is determined by dividing the standard deviation of the data by the square root of the number of stochastically independent values.
Assuming this number to be about 4, regarding the standard deviation of the vertical columns being below 1.5 pixels for an interval of length 9 pixels, the standard deviation of the mean should be near 0.157/2 pixels = 0.08 pixels.

This approach can be improved for at least two reasons:
- The star trail is not horizontal, the applied method can be adjusted to the rotation.
- The used file is JPG compressed, and contains compression artifacts, which increase the standard deviation in comparison to lossless images.
Therefore further improvements even with a single image seem possible.

On this basis the parallax of Alpha Centauri appears to be close to the statistical detection limit of assumed 2 sigma of a single MR image.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 30 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #362

Member No.: 152

Yeah, I would not be surprized if the statistical errors could get below what you need to measure even the N-S component of parallax. But systematic errors, ie the things that Deimos pointed out, such as pixel response, optical distortions, etc, can easily dominate over statistical errors. These systematics are presumably uncharacterized at the level you'd be interested in and may depend significantly on temperature. When you reimage the alpha Cen field at a later time, the rover would have moved and the position of the star in the sky would have changed, so the orientation of the stars in the fov would be different. So you'd need the optical distortions understood to extreme (sub-pixel) precision across the field.

Anyway, I agree with others that this is very fun to think about! Before going too far I'd suggest checking on the Martian ecliptic coordinates of alpha Cen, since the cross-trail (N-S) component of parallax may turn out to be very small. The next closest stars visible with mastcam are about twice as far away as alpha Cen (starting with Sirius).

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Apr 30 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #363

Member No.: 6780

Statistical errors have been what I could check for with reasonable effort.
I share your concern with the systematic errors in the subpixel range. That's clearly beyond what I can do out-of-the-hip. With a series of Phobos images I've verified it down to about 0.25 pixels, below I got aliasing effects. I've some hope to do better with Junocam, but it takes months of development and testing.

Checking the "cross-trail component of parallax" would be feasible.

+Quote Post
paraisosdelsiste...
post May 6 2015, 06:17 AM
Post #364

Member No.: 6597

Finally, Sol 956 sunset imges are arriving, and they are amazing:

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post May 6 2015, 08:54 AM
Post #365

Member No.: 3988

Here are my heavily cleaned up versions smile.gif

M-34

M-100

+Quote Post
Ant103
post May 6 2015, 09:39 AM
Post #366

Member No.: 678

And my takes on it smile.gif Finally a sunset imagery with Mastcam ! \o/

--------------------

+Quote Post
eliBonora
post May 6 2015, 04:15 PM
Post #367

Member No.: 7348

Hi, here's a short video
https://youtu.be/yJsukIk7TbA

--------------------

+Quote Post
pitcapuozzo
post May 6 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #368

Member No.: 7340

Are these the images of the Mercury transit? Does anyone see Mercury anywhere?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 6 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #369

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (pitcapuozzo @ May 6 2015, 10:19 AM) *
Are these the images of the Mercury transit? Does anyone see Mercury anywhere?

I think the Sun was overexposed. It's hard to predict the brightness with this much airmass.

Even in the best of circumstances and with proper exposure Mercury is just about at the limit of resolution.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
paraisosdelsiste...
post May 6 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #370

Member No.: 6597

Attached Image

Could this point be Mercury or just any other artifact?

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 6 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #371

Member No.: 184

Could be a sunspot also judging from its size. This wouldn't be comparable to Earth's view of the sun though with Mars near the opposite side of the sun.

Wonderful sunset images a few posts up that show the blue Mie scattering associated with the dust size.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Deimos
post May 6 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #372

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

I imagine that is 0956MR0042270020502228D01_DXXX. If so, it is a sunspot, hours before the transit started.

In the image in which the Sun is almost bisected by the horizon, Mercury would be geometrically (IIRC) right of center and just above the horizon. The area is saturated, so the <16% brightness drop is not detectable in that image. And that's the highest airmass of the bunch, with the shortest (1 msec) exposure.

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 6 2015, 11:07 PM
Post #373

Member No.: 152

As a reminder, have a look at the previous Mercury transit for how hard this observation is. And that time the sun was fairly high (over 35 degrees elevation) and there were many well exposed frames.

+Quote Post
neo56
post May 9 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #374

Member No.: 79

Curiosity imaged Phobos and Deimos between 1h30 and 2h on sol 964:

Here is an animation I made with the pics:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 9 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #375

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Two views of Phobos on sol 964. Each one is a composite of five frames. Stickney is at left in both, north roughly at the top. The south polar crater Hall is very clear at bottom in the right image, and visible in the other one.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 06:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.