Start new topic
Replies
elakdawalla
post Jan 27 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Cool -- a paper that contradicts the assumption central to my Master's thesis tongue.gif

The observation central to this work is: there are lots of channels on Venus but if you look at the topography along them, they don't go from uphill to downhill; they undulate a lot. The assumption I used in my thesis was one first suggested by Goro Komatsu and Vic Baker: that the channels could be used as a marker of paleo-flatness, so you could learn something about what's happened in Venus tectonics since the channels formed by examining how topography along channels differs from flatness. This paper says, no, the channels formed that way, because they didn't form on the surface, they formed below the surface at the interface between the plains lavas and some other layer.

I'll be very curious to see if they present this at this year's Lunar and Planetary Science Conference and what the other people in the Venus community think about it. But it may be hard to get an unbiased opinion. Vicki Hansen (second author on this paper, the first author is very likely a Ph.D. student of hers) has long represented one polar extreme in an extremely, nastily polarized debate about how to interpret geology from Magellan SAR images; the other pole was occupied by my graduate advisor, Jim Head, and his coworker Alexander ("Sasha") Basilevsky. After witnessing one particularly ugly and non-constructive debate between these two poles at an LPSC meeting, one of my fellow students (Geoff Collins, now a professor at Wheaton) summed up their debate: "I feel like Sasha is arguing 'Can't you see the forests around you?' while Vicki is shouting 'No, no! There are only trees!'"

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 27 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 27 2006, 12:04 PM)
Cool -- a paper that contradicts the assumption central to my Master's thesis  tongue.gif

--Emily

Emily, how did you decide to choose this topic for your thesis? Is it available online? Thank you.

This does explain your image symbol, at least. smile.gif

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 27 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #4

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 27 2006, 09:07 AM)
Emily, how did you decide to choose this topic for your thesis?  Is it available online?  Thank you.

I went to my archives, blew the dust off the CDs, and uploaded the text and figures to a site where you can download them if you really care. It wasn't ever finished far enough to be ready to be submitted for publication, though it was being formatted as a JGR paper, so it's very much a draft, but have at it! It's not doing anybody any good not being read. It's questionable though whether it will do anybody any good being read -- it's only been "peer reviewed" by my advisors.

The topic was suggested by my advisor. I did the mapping work with Jim and Sasha (though I had to teach myself how to do the GIS stuff with lots of help from various tech support people), then there's a whole section on geophysics that I did with Marc Parmentier.

The paper: Understanding the tectonic history of the Baltis Vallis region, Venus, from observations of canali topography (PDF, 60 k)
The figures (PDF) (WARNING! 14 MB!!)
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 27 2006, 09:07 AM)
This does explain your image symbol, at least. smile.gif

smile.gif I figured nobody would understand what the canale was if I tried to stick one in the space allotted for an icon; those gorgeous Venus craters are second best!

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- AlexBlackwell   Venusian Channel Formation As A Subsurface Process   Jan 27 2006, 04:38 PM
- - elakdawalla   Cool -- a paper that contradicts the assumption ce...   Jan 27 2006, 05:04 PM
|- - ljk4-1   QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 27 2006, 12:04 PM)Co...   Jan 27 2006, 05:07 PM
||- - elakdawalla   QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 27 2006, 09:07 AM)Em...   Jan 27 2006, 05:38 PM
|- - AlexBlackwell   QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 27 2006, 05:04 PM)Th...   Jan 27 2006, 08:28 PM
|- - elakdawalla   QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Jan 27 2006, 12:28 PM)...   Jan 27 2006, 09:36 PM
|- - AlexBlackwell   QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 27 2006, 09:36 PM)Hu...   Jan 27 2006, 09:55 PM
|- - Bob Shaw   QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 27 2006, 10:36 PM)Hu...   Jan 27 2006, 10:15 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   This is another question that could be answered by...   Jan 28 2006, 09:45 PM
- - hendric   Emily, Are there any lakes, or lake shorelines, ...   Jan 29 2006, 12:48 AM
- - BruceMoomaw   Actually, Mars scientists seem to have always pref...   Jan 29 2006, 04:59 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   As for the Venusian channels, I understand that th...   Jan 29 2006, 05:00 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   Michael Carr has quite a bit on this subject in hi...   Jan 29 2006, 05:06 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:34 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.