IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter campaign at Cook Haven, Sol 3512 - 3599 (December 13, 2013 - March 10, 2014)
fredk
post Mar 6 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #196

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

I'm still not convinced that the tilt is a factor here. I'd say that the wind along a slope is more or less parallel to the slope. If the wind was directed into the slope, the air would have to compress, which it doesn't do (significantly, anyway). Oppy's panels are tilted compared to level, but they are more or less parallel to the local slope. So the wind should be blowing more or less parallel to the panels, like it did when we were out on the plains.

But the topography could somehow give us stronger winds than we've seen before. Or turbulent lee eddies that might be good at cleaning dust of the panels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 6 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #197

Member No.: 542

I'm looking at Astro0's picture in post 191. Which way would you want to tilt to get your panels cleaned? I'd go for down slope and into the wind.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Mar 6 2014, 11:27 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 4605

I'm with fredk in that Opportunity's solar panels are always pretty much parallel to the terrain and wind. But despite lots of erudite articles and hypotheses the mechanism behind the cleaning events remains something of a mystery. From Larry Crumpler's contour map, during Opportunity's climb up the Solander ridge the topography would seem to put her in a zone of lower pressure and higher velocity. Yellow-bellied glider however raises the question as to what is a drift of pure dust doing in what should be a material removal zone? However, with the need for a northerly tilt for power, for much of the time it would seem that the solar panels would have been at a slight negative angle to the prevailing wind so turbulence, as suggested by fredk, does explain the continued removal, particularly if turbulence is a factor in the electrostatic charge of the dust.

+Quote Post
charborob
post Mar 10 2014, 02:30 AM
Post #199

Member No.: 3908

Sol 3596 mastcam pan:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Mar 10 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #200

Member No.: 4338

Given the slow but steady dust removal, I wonder if it might be worth leaving the MiniTes window open again for a while in the hopes that the MT might be restored?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 10 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #201

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

They tried it so many times and it produced no results - probably it's not slow and steady dust removal that it needs, but a very energetic event, and they are completely unpredictable. I think we have to accept MTES is gone for ever. Don't forget that the open/close actions themselves involve extra planning time and sequence complexity.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
john_s
post Apr 22 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #202

Member No.: 117

Looks like it's time to start a new topic…

John

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 22 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #203

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

You're right John, and I just have created a new one.
I will, most probably, be moving the latest pages because the "Winter campaing at Cook Haven" have already finished time ago and those posts would not belong here.

Edit: done.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.