CosmicRocker
post Aug 9 2013, 04:40 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Very nice. Thanks for these statistical updates, Marco. smile.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 10 2013, 09:52 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 13

I like the running average of the per-sol distance, to answer the are-we-there-yet question, i.e., 8 km, 40 m/sol = 200 days to go.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 12 2013, 03:39 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 150

Thanks to Joe and CosmicRocker for appreciations!
Attached Image

Edit: Update to Sol 363:

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Aug 12 2013, 03:49 PM
Post #34

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

Marco, I'm confused about how you compute average speed and average slope. Regarding speed, there's really only one speed: slow ;-) The effective speed depends by what driving mode we use, some of which take 3D images and do on-board processing which takes time. But my question is, how do you know when the drive starts and when the drive ends? Is this data published? Secondly, I'm confused how you compute the average slope, how can it be negative? Is this the difference in elevation divided by the odometry?

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 15 2013, 09:34 AM
Post #35

Paolo, scusa/sorry for late reply but I was out for vacation... rolleyes.gif
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Aug 12 2013, 04:49 PM) *
...how do you know when the drive starts and when the drive ends? Is this data published?

I based my calculation on the data reported in Joe's DriveLog, which is extracting data from NAIF web site (he can explain better!). I simply divide total distance by drive duration (2nd and 3dh columns) and this is an average within the drive; however, Joe reports also instant speed/elevation plots (see last column).

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Aug 12 2013, 04:49 PM) *
Secondly, I'm confused how you compute the average slope, how can it be negative? Is this the difference in elevation divided by the odometry?

Exact, due to moderate slopes I assumed this figure (which can be negative if elevation decreases); I am considering to report slope angle in the next plots... Obviously, elevation is referred to Bradbury station.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 15 2013, 11:59 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 13

I guess it's kind of a loose definition, since the rover speed apparently tends to be binary--zero or "full," where full is lately about 3.5 cm/sec, in the past sometimes a little over 2.5 cm/sec, which appears to be a bit of english units behind the curtain (1 inch/sec)!

But when it's going it often proceeds in something like one-minute bursts with briefer pauses in between, with longer pauses (maybe 8 minutes) at intervals. For example, the latest drive. Seems to me that it's useful to group all those bursts into one "drive" even though it's discontinuous. What my code does is consider any movements separated by less than 15 minutes of stop time as part of the same drive. To date, that algorithm hasn't split any sol's driving into more than one drive. That makes sense because they probably don't command more than one drive sequence per sol.

The drive time then is the time of last movement minus the time of first movement. Dividing the total distance traveled by the drive time gives an average speed of sorts, but the result may have more to do with the drive mode (visodom, etc.) than the literal speed of the rover.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Aug 15 2013, 02:51 PM
Post #37

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

Understood. The 8 min pause between some steps is the DAN / RHAZ observation. It is interspersed during the drive. I did not know that the drive details were published! Yes the wheels ether are off or full speed.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 20 2013, 04:17 PM
Post #38

New Update.
Now lower plot reports slope angle in degree (right scale):
Attached Image

Edit: updated to Sol 370

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 22 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #39

The new drive record (116m on Sol 371) deserves updated total-odometry plots!
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 26 2013, 05:06 AM
Post #40

Plots of last odometry:
Attached Image

(updated to Sol 377 - Aug,28)

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 28 2013, 12:39 PM
Post #41

After an "hot" summer of almost continuous roving, it's time for a resume:
in the last 6 weeks, MSL moved with an average speed of almost 33m/Sol (odometry increased by 1.34 km in 41 Sols); in this timeframe, Curiosity didn't move for 18 Sol (44% of total) while in "drive Sols" she always covered more than 25 m (58m on average). These figures are impressive if compared to first part of mission, when she covered less than 3m/Sol on average...
Going to real shift, in the following picture one can see that MSL is now 1080m from "starting point" (Sol 335/336 position), so the "effective" shift was 81% of odometry due to deviations from stright line.
Attached Image

Looking to planned routemap published yesterday, we are now 6.5 km from "entry point" at the base of Aeolis; the "rapid transit route" in the JPL image is 7.2 km long while, if we assume the previous degree of non-linearity in the path, this brings to almost 8km of additional odometry. Assuming same average velocity of last drives, this means 220-240 days to Mount Sharp; obviously, I didn't consider longer stops for geology (in particular the 5 "geology waypoints" anticipated in the article) but this delay could be compensated by the new autonomous driving software potentialities... let's see! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 29 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #42

Updated (more readable) plots:
Attached Image

Last update: Sol 383

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Sep 6 2013, 05:57 AM
Post #43

New impressive drive record on Sol 385 deserves updated historic plots!
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 6 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 152

We're now at our highest elevation yet, sitting near the top of a small hill as you can see from Phil's map. I hope we get some horizon imagery from here...

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 6 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 542

I was thinking the same thing. Looking at the route of that drive on Phil's map made me think of exploring on foot. "Let's head for the top of that little rise and see what we can see."

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.