4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Coffee Table Book, Thread
Marz
post Jan 25 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 482

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 7 2006, 01:43 PM)
With " general public " interest being low for the MER missions, the release time of the book would be crucial for its sale!
A good moment would be just a few weeks before Christmas ( 2006 or 2007 ? ) so it could be a great gift for that period of the year  smile.gif

I'd imagine "general public" interest in MER will, perhaps ironically, spike again when one of the rovers fails, and a huge spike will occur when Phoenix lands... so maybe time is on your side?

What I'd like to see in a coffe-table MER book (in addition to stunning photos):
1. A description of the discoveries and what they mean
2. How the landing sites met the expectations of the scientists who argued for their selection.
3. How MER is impacting NASA's future mission goals in Follow the Water .

Not much focus on the rovers at all, except for the onboard experiments, or when something dramatic happened, like Purgatory. I'd prefer any technical details about the MER themselves to just be embedded factoids, rather than dedicating a chapter to the engineering design and capabilities behind them. The focus should be on what they encounted, not the nuts and bolts that made it possible (which I imagine is covered in detail already in Roving Mars).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Feb 8 2006, 01:24 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 503

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 2 2006, 05:24 PM)
I have to agree with both ideas/proposals ... but why wait untill the MER die ?

Take one look at the new images from Home Plate. Then you'll see why Doug *has* to wait until the MERS die. You can't leave part of the story untold.

David

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 8 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #33

Guests

O.K. David but don't underestimate the work involved in preparing such a book !
Working on it now and adding interesting things at the end-of-life of the MERs will be easier then to start after the end-of-mission of both 'golf carts' biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 8 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #34

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Feb 8 2006, 03:05 PM)
Working on it now a....

Who said I'm not wink.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 9 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #35

Guests

Great to hear this !
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

By The Way, a fellow ' unmanned spaceflight ' buff I know is preparing a book on unmanned spaceflight and I'm trying to convince him to post on this forum cool.gif

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Apr 20 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 221

*cough* this image please *cough*

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 20 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #37

Founder

I don't intend to colourise monochrome images for it - I'm trying to document as well as possible the images they took. It's just a smidge of artistic interpretation too much for me - I love that image, don't get me wrong, I'll be using it in my talk to the BAA on Sat. AM as the only Spirit image in an Opportunity talk just to mention Spirit's current state of health, but that's not the image the rover actually took smile.gif . But that mosaic in B'n'W is certainly on my list of contenders - it'll be Christmas time before I get the raw data for it though. Who knows - there may be even better mosaics of that area at low-sun angles before we leave the 'sunbed' of winter.

The other issue is that a colour page costs more to print than a black and white page - and when it comes to spending on the colour, I'd rather it were colour taken at the time than suggestive artistic colour. Possibly an unpopular choice but if and when I get this book done, I think it'll be the better for it.

My next 'wish for' is MRO HiRISE imagery to act as basemaps for fold out route maps front and back.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 19 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #38

Guests

Well, there's a separate topic on the TOP-20 photos of the Mars Exploration Rovers ... that could certainly help wink.gif

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post May 22 2006, 01:20 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 381

One thing I always wanted to see in a Mars book was a modern map of the planet
with an acetate overlay of Lowell's Mars canals to see what (admittedly weak) correlations
there were. The World Book Encyclopedia yearbooks used to have fold-in acetate overlays
for various articles, but they never did the Mars thing.

+Quote Post
David
post May 22 2006, 02:21 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (monitorlizard @ May 22 2006, 01:20 AM) *
One thing I always wanted to see in a Mars book was a modern map of the planet
with an acetate overlay of Lowell's Mars canals to see what (admittedly weak) correlations
there were.

Lowell's canals were pretty much of his own imagining; he projected canals onto any body he observed, even those with no surface features at all. But some of the canals drawn by earlier observers do have albedo feature correlates, though more by way of corresponding to nexuses where canals meet rather than the canals themselves - most canals were illusory attempts to connect barely visible dots into visually meaningful patterns. But in some cases (e.g. Syrtis Major) there have been very considerable movements of the darker surface material, and some of the albedo features observed by observers of the late 19th/early 20th century may not exist any more, at least in the location, size, and shape that they were observed.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jun 1 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #41

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Doug...Any guess on the date of the so waited publication?...

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 1 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #42

Founder

Any guess when the rovers will stop working?

I can't start thinking about one till the other happens. smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jun 1 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #43

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Oh I see...By then paper will be an archeological relique... wink.gif

Can't wait for the smell of those pages... smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jun 3 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #44

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I hope you are right...I still think it would be cool if one or both MERs outlive Phoenix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jun 3 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jun 3 2006, 10:45 AM) *
I hope you are right...I still think it would be cool if one or both MERs outlive Phoenix.

I can't wait to see FOUR operational rovers on Mars after Exo Mars and MSL get there.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.