10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Future Planetary Exploration
Paolo
post Feb 27 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

been unsuccessfully trying googling for more info on the just selected Interplanetary NanoSpacecraft Pathfinder In Relevant Environment (INSPIRE) JPL CubeSat
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?rele...ml&rst=3706
hailed as "the world's first CubeSats to be launched beyond Earth orbit" (I think this title should go to the Japanese Shin'en, even if it never reported back to Earth).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 27 2013, 07:17 PM
Post #92

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I've been trying too but no luck yet. The image with the release hinted at a lunar flyby. Meanwhile Pam Clark and colleagues have been promoting ideas like this as well, specifically for the Moon.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 14 2013, 09:45 AM
Post #93

some details of INSPIRE (not much, in reality)
http://www.space.com/20022-tiny-cubesat-sa...-for-space.html

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Mar 20 2013, 04:25 PM
Post #94

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

US restarts PU-238 production ( well a test really ).

http://news.yahoo.com/u-restarts-plutonium...-013110181.html

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 20 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 530

Great to hear.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 29 2013, 08:37 AM
Post #96

NASA Wants $100 Million To Catch An Asteroid

+Quote Post
climber
post Jul 27 2016, 11:31 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 682

Interesting infografic: http://i.imgur.com/lYdRVRi.png

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jul 27 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 321

I was just going to comment on the potential revolution(s) introduced by the EELT and other large telescopes (2 others somewhat smaller in development; one of those in limbo) that will come online in the next 5-10 years.

EELT is supposed to provide a resolution of up to 0.001 arc seconds, which would mean, roughly speaking, that Kuiper Belt objects could be imaged with about the same resolution that HST imaged Ceres and Vesta, including ~100 pixel views of Pluto.

This would also allow the separation of exoplanets from their host star for systems over 50 light years away, although the practical possibilities for observations will depend upon techniques for canceling out the star's glare.

When 2 or 3 telescopes with comparable power are available, it should be a significant boost for astronomy, accomplishing some things that might be done with spacecraft now and some things that can't be done at all now. JWST will already be online and filling other niches.

+Quote Post
climber
post Jul 28 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 682

Yet another chart (from a tweet from Emily): https://twitter.com/elakdawalla/status/758726644341223424

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 12 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #100

Maybe I'm the only one who's antsy, but the news last year stated explicitly that the next one or two Discovery mission finalists would be selected "by September 2016," which is now in the past. At the very least, the announcement is late, and presumably, the decision hasn't quite finalized yet, either.

I suppose that's all there is to say about it… a deadline was slipped without any public notice of why, what it might mean, or when the actual announcement will be. Maybe it's just an organization being late… Maybe the lack of an update says something about the program direction as a whole?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 12 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #101

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 12 2016, 11:51 AM) *
At the very least, the announcement is late... I suppose that's all there is to say about it…

Yes, that's all there is to say about it.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2016/09/07/nasa-...e-insight-woes/

"the head of the agency’s science division said this week NASA will still approve development of at least one new solar system probe in December."

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Dec 18 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #102

On November 29, Jim Green told a VEXAG meeting, "There’s an excellent chance we’ll be able to complete the [Discovery] selection and make that announcement before the end of December."

That combination of statement and audience doesn't necessarily imply that the selection will include a Venus mission, but it sounds like we'll find out soon enough.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3123/1

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Dec 19 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (JRehling @ Dec 18 2016, 01:57 PM) *
On November 29, Jim Green told a VEXAG meeting, "There’s an excellent chance we’ll be able to complete the [Discovery] selection and make that announcement before the end of December."

I'm hearing from other sources that the announcement now may not come until the end of January.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Dec 24 2016, 12:42 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (vjkane @ Dec 19 2016, 10:59 AM) *
I'm hearing from other sources that the announcement now may not come until the end of January.

Some communications logistics indicators I've heard of point to early January. (NASA notifies the PIs by
phone before the public announcement so press releases can be queued up etc., and so NASA needs
to know how the PIs can be reached in a certain window). But things can change.

+Quote Post
PhilipTerryGraha...
post Dec 27 2016, 02:36 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 8089

I'd also imagine the Christmas/New Year week would be an unideal time to make such an announcement, what with all the media noise that happens around this time of year. It'd be alot better to postpone it to January so that the announcement can get noticed more and stir more publicity for NASA.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.