IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chang'e 3 landing and first lunar day of operations, Including landing site geology and localization
Hungry4info
post Dec 15 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

The second image I saw on FB recently, but the third image is new to me. Thanks for that link.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Dec 15 2013, 12:50 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 347

Those pictures are in somewhat higher quality here:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/20...132968376_5.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2013, 02:00 AM
Post #108

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Going from a LROC-WAC mosaic to a NAC frame to a descent camera mosaic (from 4th Rock... welcome back!) - a locator guide to the site.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2013, 02:39 AM
Post #109

And this is 4th Rock's mosaic with additions from one of the TV screenshots posted on NasaSpaceFlight. It is an overhead projection of the initial rover image mosaic, for planning purposes, superimposed with a lander model. This all took a bit of fudging, but it's a start at a site map.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 15 2013, 06:25 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 682

So, last picture is a square of about 100m x 100m?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 15 2013, 10:40 AM
Post #111

Member No.: 759

This high res image seems to be from the Mast Camera on the lander. It shows the far side of the crater in front of the Rover, and the landscape to the north.
It was taken later than the one below, as the sun is higher and shadows are a little shorter. Its location is indicated by the box below.

Attached Image

This low res image below shows the area north of the Lander before the Rover was deployed. Yellow box inset is the location of the high res.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 15 2013, 11:22 AM
Post #112

Member No.: 1004

A more complete descent video. But I think we still have not seen the complete sequence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA__4SnHqH8

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Dec 15 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #113

Member No.: 6336

Congratulations to those who work on the Chinese space program!

And thank you Hungry4info for identifying the landing site.

Now lets see what a lunar rabbit can achieve! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 15 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 15

All right -- ship in port, Captain's gig launched. Way to go!

Congrats to the Chinese Space Agency for grabbing the brass ring on their first try.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 15 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 759

The rover is due to pass around the east (sunlit) side of the lander in a drive of 10 meters, stopping at 5 different locations for mutual photography.

CNTV says: “The 10 meter walk from the lander will take Yutu about two hours due to the bumpy and uneven surface of the Moon. The entire process of
capturing five images will take up to 20 hours to complete. Yutu will take two pictures of the front side of Chang’E 3. This is the side where the Chinese
national flag is painted. One of the pictures will be taken from ten meters away, while the other will be clicked from a distance of 18 meters. The moving
path designed for Yutu is a half circle. Pictures will be taken firstly from the back of the lander, and then the side and then the front."

CNTV story and video of Yutu photography

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Dec 15 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #116

Member No.: 336

Live coverage now on - but you need a plugin (at least I did):

http://english.cntv.cn/special/lunarmissio...102945984341204

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 15 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 15

A couple of observations about the imaging thus far:

First, the images from Yutu's mast camera seem a little over-saturated. At least, the brightest elements in the images (the rock faces reflecting sunlight right back into the camera) look rather over-saturated to me.

Second, the color rendition from the lander's panoramic camera seems to be biased towards a very brown image, while the rover's color camera is registering more of the expected grayish coloration of the regolith, almost trending towards a slight greenish tinge. Interestingly, these are the same range of color biases that were achieved from the various color film stocks used during Apollo. It took until the later flights for the photo processors to achieve a consistent representation of the grayish lunar regolith; this shows how difficult it can be to get good, representative color from the lunar surface.

I wonder if the mission controllers will be adjusting the color balances and saturation in the released images as time goes on?

Also, looking forward to more of the full video feed from Yutu. That was pretty impressive from the quick flashes we saw during the rover deployment.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #118

If you look back to post 270 (page 18) in this thread (http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...3105&st=255) I posted a Clementine false colour map of the landing region, showing 'blue' and 'yellow' lava flows.

We landed in the blue unit, but only a few km from the boundary. That boundary shows up as an albedo boundary in my locator sequence as well. So if Yutu drives north they should be able to cross the contact between two flows, getting compositional data for both and using the radar to map the depth of the blue unit as they go.

There is also a mare ridge here, so its structure may be investigated. It could be a very scientifically productive site.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 15 2013, 03:22 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 1004

this was posted on facebook a few minutes ago
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmic Penguin
post Dec 15 2013, 03:38 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 6419

QUOTE (Paolo @ Dec 15 2013, 11:22 PM) *
this was posted on facebook a few minutes ago

Note that it appears to be from the rover's NavCam, not the PanCam, so the B/W color should be right.

--------------------
UMSF - the place of Opportunity to satisfy your Spirit of Curiosity via Perseverance

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.