51 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Ceres, From opnav images to first orbit
jgoldader
post Feb 25 2015, 06:53 PM
Post #481

Group: Members
Member No.: 3662

It's interesting that the secondary bright spot is almost in line with the first one and the sun angle. Could it be sunlight scattering or reflecting off a plume from the bright spot? The plume would have to be pretty high, given the viewing geometry, but still...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Feb 25 2015, 07:47 PM
Post #482

Member No.: 285

As a couple of others have noted, there's some really interesting stuff going on with the grooved terrain to the south and east of the bright spot. Just a little more resolution would be really helpful -- hopefully the whole rotation sequence will be posted, so image stacking could tease-out the details.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Feb 25 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #483

Member No.: 4350

There's also a curved ridge to the left-bottom of the bright spot crater.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 25 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #484

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (climber @ Feb 25 2015, 06:28 PM) *
Looks like it's located dead center of a "crater" which seams quite unlikely

Not necessarily unlikely if the large old impact and the small new one both played a part in making the bright spot: the former collecting a buried 'puddle' of relatively clean near-surface ice and the latter exposing it.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Feb 25 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #485

Member No.: 3995

Those grooves look like they could be secondary crater chains from an impact basin. Do they line up with any known or suspected basin?

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Feb 25 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #486

And those white spots. They are so.... nonrandom.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 25 2015, 08:29 PM
Post #487

Member No.: 152

How so non-random?

No one has posted a resampled version of the third image. The released image appears to be trivially oversampled 2x. So by subsampling (without smoothing) by 1/2, you recover close to the original image. Then I've supersampled (Lanczos) 4x. Here's the result:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Feb 25 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #488

By nonrandom, I mean two anomalously bright spots appearing in only one place (or few places) on an otherwise drab surface. Better yet, one spot appears to coincide with the central peak of an ancient crater. I would expect a number of similar features scattered around the surface.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 25 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #489

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

With such a small number of spots, I wouldn't be thinking about randomness or otherwise just yet.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 25 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #490

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I'm trying to understand the "uncropped" images they released. I'm don't think they mean "uncropped", since they clearly aren't showing the full 1024-pixel-square FOV. Maybe the originals were windowed? I thought that maybe they meant "unenlarged", but if you look closely at the photos you'll see that there is something wonky with them -- there are several lines of pixels (some horizontal, some vertical) that have been repeated. Either there's a glitch in the camera, or there are some missing lines that were interpolated, or the image has been very slightly enlarged with nearest-neighbor sampling. It's bizarre.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 25 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #491

Member No.: 542

I agree that the bright spots appear non-random. You need a (most likely random) recent event to break through the ubiquitous dark surface covering but whether this exposes dark or light subsurface must depend on more ancient events at the same location. We saw both light and dark materials exposed on Vesta by impacts and landslips on slopes. I think that Ceres, by providing more such data points, should enable the story of all this to told at last.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 25 2015, 09:23 PM
Post #492

Administrator

Continuing with my previous post: the "uncropped" images have been enlarged from the original by about 2.5 percent with nearest neighbor sampling, resulting in four vertical and five horizontal duplicated lines of pixels in the images. Here's a before and after comparison of one of the two images after taking those extra lines of pixels out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 25 2015, 09:31 PM
Post #493

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Maybe they come out of a set of images where they created a movie where they tried to make them all equal in size, since Dawn slowly approaches Ceres during RC2, rather than pulling them from the raw images?

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 25 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #494

Administrator

That sounds plausible. I hate that I have to keep explaining to people on Twitter that NASA has not blurred these photos; that they started out as lower resolution and have been enlarged.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 25 2015, 09:53 PM
Post #495

Member No.: 321

The bright spots make me wonder if there's something like thermal segregation going on. On Iapetus, roughly half the surface is bright and half dark, and thermal segregation makes the "rich get richer" (the bright gets brighter and the dark gets darker). Maybe on Ceres, there's thermal segregation but the bright is only a tiny fraction of the surface, evacuating whatever dust might cover it through thermal processes driven by solar heating.

There's an interesting comparison set, potentially, with Ceres, Callisto, and Iapetus, all of which have some mixture of dark and icy surface. Those three rank in terms of rotational period exactly the opposite of how they rank in proximity to the Sun. Iapetus has extremely long days, but a dim Sun 9 AU away. Callisto has a shorter day, but a considerably brighter Sun. Ceres continues the trends: A very quick day, and yet more solar heating.

On Iapetus, we have full-blown thermal segregation, with the cold half seemingly stealing whatever ice sputters from the warm half.

On Callisto, ice sputters away, but doesn't particularly gather anywhere. Though on Ganymede, icy gathers on the coldest slopes near the poles.

On Ceres, a few very bright areas (ice, one supposes) are staying bright, and there's a seemingly binary distinction being maintained: Ice or no ice. Is ice sputtering away from the darker ~99% of Ceres as it does from the darker 50% of Iapetus? It's the rareness of the bright patches that stands out. If Ceres is geologically inactive and impact craters of different ages are the only features, why would only a few of them have this rare property, versus Callisto where all sufficiently large/recent craters show ice under the dirty stuff?

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2021 - 10:26 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.