3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MET - Lidar & Telltale
imipak
post Jun 7 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 617

Oersted, thanks for that very interesting info - it's an excellent example of an experiment that superficially appears utterly trivial, yet becomes both complicated and difficult when you want to do it on Mars.

I guess the light weight of the Kapton tube explains the apparent kink in the "thread"? I can picture a length of string hanging in the air on earth (with nothing hanging on the end) bending at some point along it's length in the wind. In low Mars gravity the tube itself has even less weight to pull the kevlar fibres straight, as the eye might intuitively expect from it's appearance.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jun 7 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 105

Thanks, Oersted. I had assumed that "telltale" was an informal name for this device, so I didn't search on that keyword. The construction of the device makes sense now. We need something that is very, very light and flexible to detect and measure Martian winds. The Kapton tube (Kapton, BTW, is also used in that ubiquitous orange-yellowish tape on the Rovers and this lander) suspended by Kevlar fibers does just this. The Kevlar tow is composed of thousands of very fine Kevlar fibers and fraying with loose fibers is not unusual with this material. The Kapton tube provides frontal area to react to the wind. Lightness is important since the pendulum moment and frequency has to be very small and very high, respectively. Simple device, yet very complex.

I use Kevlar tow in aircraft wing spars to bind the spar caps and shear webs so they won't burst under flexure. Attached is a photo of the Kevlar tow.

--Bill
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
PFK
post Jun 8 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 4121

You see that's what I like about this place, you get info like Oersted's on something you really hadn't thought about before - you really can learn something new every day!

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 8 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #34

Guests

You're welcome!

I just did a back-of-the-envelope calculation that I can hardly believe:

If we imagined scaling up the kapton cylinder to the size of the famous NASA Vehicle Assemble Building, the VAB, at Cape Kennedy, it would weigh..... 0.0016 kilograms, equal to 0.0564383 ounce!!!

I am calculating with the cylinder being 1 cm. long. The VAB is 160 meters high. Could somebody try to check my result, as I said I can hardly believe it myself...

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 8 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Oersted @ Jun 9 2008, 12:38 AM) *
Could somebody try to check my result, as I said I can hardly believe it myself...

I think you need to cube the scale size to get the mass difference, I get 410 tons for a scaled up version the height of VAB. This, of course, holds only if you scale it in all 3 dimensions equally. If you're only lengthening it, then your result holds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jun 9 2008, 06:16 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 116

I am certain this telltale experiment was independentaly concieved, but I'd like to note that we previously suggested here that a Martian telltale experiment need only have a minimal footprint on a future Mars mission.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jun 9 2008, 07:23 AM
Post #37

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jun 9 2008, 07:16 AM) *
I am certain this telltale experiment was independentaly concieved, but I'd like to note that we previously suggested here that a Martian telltale experiment need only have a minimal footprint on a future Mars mission.

Yes, by the time of that post the telltale had already been built and failed a couple times, proving how complex simple experiments in extreme environments can be. I believe the genesis of the experiment design involved having someone who modeled airflow over the deck and its impact on delivery, someone with a sailing background and an instrument sensitive to winds (TECP), a couple people involved with IMP and imaging the pathfinder windsock, and of course someone from Denmark--all on the same telecon at the right time. (Take that with a grain of salt--my recollection of anything more than 3 sols ago is a bit hazy at the moment ;^) .)

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 9 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #38

Guests

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jun 9 2008, 12:45 AM) *
I think you need to cube the scale size to get the mass difference, I get 410 tons for a scaled up version the height of VAB. This, of course, holds only if you scale it in all 3 dimensions equally. If you're only lengthening it, then your result holds.

No, no, you're right, it should be scaled in all three dimensions. 410 tons? - That's a lot, what was your calculation, if I may ask?

I'm a mathematically useless "humanist" myself.... But afflicted with a passion for the natural sciences... smile.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 9 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Oersted @ Jun 9 2008, 11:27 AM) *
410 tons? - That's a lot, what was your calculation, if I may ask?

I used the mass of the telltale: 0.0001 g and multiplied it by the (160/0.01)^3. That gives the above result. Seems a bit too much for me, too. For a fun comparison, I found out that the dry weight of a Saturn V is 250 tons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 9 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #40

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jun 6 2008, 12:35 PM) *
...that fraying is not abnormal nor is it serious.

Agreed. It's not gonna fall off, at least for the duration of the mission. Might skew the wind obs just a teeny bit, but not enough to really matter.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
PFK
post Jun 9 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 4121

QUOTE (Oersted @ Jun 8 2008, 11:38 PM) *
I just did a back-of-the-envelope calculation that I can hardly believe:

It can happen! Last year I wrote an article in the RSC's Chemistry World magazine asking people to speculate on the following question: "Imagine all the sodium chloride in all the world's oceans crystallised into one enormous prismatic salt crystal with a 1cm x 1cm base. How long/tall would it be?".

I then provided the scarcely believable answer - 20,000 light years!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.