IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Beyond Lewis and Clark Gap, Sol 4482- (September 2, 2016-)
marsophile
post May 29 2017, 03:24 AM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

Attached Image

Beautiful images jccwrt and James Sorenson

Apologies for the poor stitching in my version. False color and enhancement to emphasize particular features. Any ideas on what caused the massive soil disturbances in the otherwise smooth hillside?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post May 30 2017, 04:02 PM
Post #302

Guests

QUOTE (marsophile @ May 29 2017, 04:24 AM) *

Attached Image

Beautiful images jccwrt and James Sorenson

Apologies for the poor stitching in my version. False color and enhancement to emphasize particular features. Any ideas on what caused the massive soil disturbances in the otherwise smooth hillside?

I'm not seeing any disturbance care to point it out in the photo? I see rover tracks and gravity tumbles.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post May 30 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #303

I guess it must be the gravity tumbles, by the sound of it. Is that a commonplace phenomenon?

Attached Image

This is one of the disturbed areas.

Attached Image

This is parallel-eye stereo of part of the area.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post May 31 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #304

Member No.: 196

Perhaps you are referring to the horizontal band of bedrock dominating the upper left third section in this sol4743 image? From this tricky perspective, especially if like me you grew up in mudslide country where such formations are common, the eyes might suggest the resemblance of this to the tongue of a soil slump feature, but my take is it's a major bedrock layer preserved by, well, the lack of gravity tumbles, the erosion of the surrounding soil leaving it in high relief, and a small sampling of rocks from the bedrock layer doing gravity tumbles to litter the base of the section.. but the uncanny resemblance to some sort of mudslide tongue (or whatever you call that) from this viewpoint did strike me as well, almost like a wave coming down!

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jun 1 2017, 04:31 AM
Post #305

Long baseline stereo (visually matched from images on different Sols).

Parallel-eye:
Attached Image

Cross-eye:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jun 4 2017, 04:27 AM
Post #306

Member No.: 1241

My on-again off-again stitching has always been on a slow learning curve, especially with all the different tools I have downloaded since the beginning of this mission
Here is the first stitch that I felt good enough about to share (after 4744 sols!)
Two whole images in one.... (whew)

Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jun 7 2017, 04:02 AM
Post #307

http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...nce-valley.html

Monthly MER Report from The Planetary Society.
It seems this winter may be challenging from an energy point of view.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jun 7 2017, 11:53 PM
Post #308

great article! thanks for linking it. I had always been curious about the linear feature running from the plains up to the valley edge, that shows up as a sort of thin rusty line in the HIRISE images linked in the story, Crumplers view, and especially this one, but couldn't imagine it being a relic of a water erosion channel, if thats ineed teh features in question, in which case the idea seems to not be out of the question, this early on at least, as suggested about those sol4747 images, of which the below crosseye and parallel view provides some terrain relief, whether it be a remnant channel from a spillover lake, or evidence of wind-scoured faulting, or something else entirely..
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jun 8 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #309

Member No.: 1700

As usual, I'm future-tripping 😅 Are they postulating a return up Perseverance Valley after the downward trek, or do they envision continuing to the crater floor?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 9 2017, 12:04 AM
Post #310

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

To the crater floor, south, and up again further south.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Jun 9 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #311

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 8 2017, 06:04 PM) *
To the crater floor....

I was just looking at the overview map of the path that Opportunity has covered -- over the plains and along the crater rim -- which led me to thinking that we really need to get down on the crater floor. That is potentially a whole new realm of geology, and if the plains were historically wet (at least in the subsurface), perhaps something even more interesting was going on within the crater.

Incidentally, I'm surprised that nobody has posted some large stereo panoramas of the long-baseline surveys of the "channel". Just at the moment, looking over what I've seen so far, I'm having one of those "the emperor has no clothes" feelings. But the HiRISE imagery is very persuasive.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jun 11 2017, 02:06 AM
Post #312

https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/status.html#opportunity

Seems to be an issue with the left front steering actuator. Hope this doesn't affect the exploration plans.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 11 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #313

Member No.: 152

The plan was to try to straighten the LF wheel on 4754 but I see no sign of movement in the hazcams...

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Jun 12 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #314

Guests

QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 11 2017, 03:47 PM) *
The plan was to try to straighten the LF wheel on 4754 but I see no sign of movement in the hazcams...

hope this is not the beginning of the end sad.gif

These things way outlived their life I sort took advantage of that fact.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jun 13 2017, 12:26 AM
Post #315

here's a rough widebase anaglyph of sol4749 x sol4754 stitches. interesting how its almost as if a lake shoreline feeds the channel narrowing towards the rim in these images, which hadn't seemed as apparent until now. also attaching the full sol4754 stitch as well with lightened leftmost image and scaled 50% to fit post limit.
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:41 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.