Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 526

QUOTE (odave @ Jan 27 2006, 03:32 AM)
If I understand it correctly: currently, from the sun,

Earth < NH < 1AU

And after January 29:

Earth < 1AU < NH

Meaning that NH will get outside 1AU faster than we will.

You understand it correctly, but Earth will also > 1AU some day after January 29.

[img]http://www.yaohua2000.org/cgi-bin/New%20Horizons.signature/a_is_Earth_and_b_is_Sun_and_fontsize_is_10_and_h_is_18_and_x_is_21_and_y_is_12.g
f[/img]
____________1 AU is 149597870.691 kilometers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Jan 27 2006, 04:22 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 534

QUOTE (odave @ Jan 26 2006, 11:32 PM)
Earth < NH < 1AU

And after January 29:

Earth < 1AU < NH

Perfect way of putting it, thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 27 2006, 05:18 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Jan 26 2006, 05:53 PM)
Or Prometheus even?

I don't think it's "if" I think it's - "When" the project will get back on track, even if under a different name. Unless we happen to stumble across easy antimatter technology before then...put bluntly, not bloody likely though for the latter.

Most people would agree that a basically Dawnlike mission would be a good idea, but the devil is in the details.

A NHish mission had been discussed and postponed for a long time, and Goldin was ostensibly trying to push for a Pluto orbiter (or nothing at all), resisting a flyby craft.

It's possible that nothing very Prometheuslike will ever make sense. A conventional-propulsion Europa orbiter will fly first.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 27 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 105

A lengthy treatise on the important of this is in the biography "Boyd", detailing aviation ace and theoretician John Boyd's (mainly failed) battle to achieve...

One of the better books I've read on conducting a space research program was "At the Edge of Space" about the X-15 program by Milton Thompson, a NASA-Dryden pilot.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Bowman
post Jan 30 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 668

NH location is now listed on NH website:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/mission/whereis_nh.php

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 1 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #21

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

NH is now on the JPL Solar System Simulator smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 3 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #22

Guests

MahFL ... it certainly is, great to 'play' with that JPL software ... just tried to see Jupiter from the NH's perspective ohmy.gif

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/

+Quote Post
alan
post Feb 5 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 110

I agree
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wspace?t...orbs=1&showsc=1

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Feb 6 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (alan @ Feb 5 2006, 04:25 PM)

Spectacular tool. Here you can see every moments on how the NH is approaching to Pluton and Charon.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Feb 6 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Feb 6 2006, 11:31 AM)
Spectacular tool. Here you can see every moments on how the NH is approaching to Pluton and Charon.

Rodolfo

What about Pluto's other two moons? And hey, they're showing surface features! So why do we still need to go all the way out there? cool.gif It's so cold, the reading light levels are terrible, and there isn't a single Starbucks or McDonalds - yet.

Is this story true or apocryphal: Former US VP Dan Quayle was visiting JPL around the time of Voyager 2's mission to Neptune in 1989. He saw simulations of the probe's flyby of the giant planet and exclaimed how wonderful this was because now we wouldn't have to spend lots of money on actual space missions to find out what other worlds are like!

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Dan_Quayle/

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

"For NASA, space is still a high priority." - Dan Quayle, 9/5/90

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe." - Dan Quayle, 8/11/89

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Feb 6 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Feb 6 2006, 10:08 AM)
What about Pluto's other two moons?  And hey, they're showing surface features!  So why do we still need to go all the way out there?  cool.gif  It's so cold, the reading light levels are terrible, and there isn't a single Starbucks or McDonalds - yet.

Is this story true or apocryphal:  Former US VP Dan Quayle was visiting JPL around the time of Voyager 2's mission to Neptune in 1989.  He saw simulations of the probe's flyby of the giant planet and exclaimed how wonderful this was because now we wouldn't have to spend lots of money on actual space missions to find out what other worlds are like!

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Dan_Quayle/

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

"For NASA, space is still a high priority." - Dan Quayle, 9/5/90

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe." - Dan Quayle, 8/11/89

Good grief, Quayle makes George Dubya look like Einstein...

Back on topic... Can't wait for NH to pass Mars' orbit on 4/6. Don't know why, I just can't.

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Feb 6 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #27

Guests

If you want a REAL horror story about scientific ignorance among politicians, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) showed up at JPL a few days after the Mars Pathfinder landing and asked if it could photograph Neil Armstrong's footprints. She is currently on the House Science Committee.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Feb 9 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #28

Guests

The PI's Perspective
Tom's Cruise
February 9, 2006
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/overview/piPerspec...ve_current.html

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 10 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #29

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I see the data rate is 2.5 times greater than expected, I wonder who did those calculations and why they were so off ? But its great news of course.
pancam.gif

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Feb 10 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (MahFL @ Feb 10 2006, 12:09 AM)
I see the data rate is 2.5 times greater than expected, I wonder who did those calculations and why they were so off ? But its great news of course.
pancam.gif

No one was off in their calculations. We always predict conservatively, careful to
meet our specs, hopeful we will turn out better.

-Alan

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.