IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Creating images by interpolating between filters?
EDG
post Oct 24 2010, 03:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5483

This post by ugordan on my Ganymede mosaic intrigued me, and I just want to check something here.

It sounds like ugordan's software can just linearly interpolate between (say) a Green filter and a Violet filter image to create a (hopefully reasonably accurate) simulation of what a Blue filter image might look like - and then doing the same with other filters means that a simulated "true colour" image can be constructed.

e.g. (use http://pds-rings.seti.org/voyager/iss/inst...a1.html#filters as a reference). Let's say we had a Green filter image and a Violet filter image of Ganymede where a given pixel had a DN (data number, or 8-bit pixel brightness, from 0 to 255) of 69 in Green and 51 in Violet. Green peaks at 585 nm and Violet peaks at 400 nm, and we want to interpolate an image taken with a Blue filter which would peak at 480 nm. Blue is 80/185 of the way between the two (on the Violet side), which means that the DN of that pixel in Blue should be (69-51)*(80/185)=7.78, or 8 DN higher than the Violet DN, which is a DN of 59.

So if I create a program that can do that interpolation across the whole image, would the result be reasonably accurate simulation of an image actually taken with that filter ? That assumes of course that the surface responds linearly to visible light wavelengths, which isn't necessarily true. But then, I'm not wanting to do this for scientific analysis or anything - this is just for aesthetic purposes really, to try to construct simulated "true colour" images.

And could it be possible to extrapolate a reasonably realistic Red filter image by seeing the difference between (say) Green and Orange and extending that further (linearly) into the red?

Looking at this site it seems that the human eye's sensitivity peaks at 558, 531 and 419 nm for red, green and blue respectively, so (assuming this approach works) would interpolating to those wavelengths instead of the ones described in the ISS filter descriptions actually produce a result that is more like what the human eye would see rather than an eye tuned to Voyager's wavelengths?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
PDP8E
post Jan 16 2012, 01:01 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1241

...color experiments continue... Here is Spirit's sundial on SOL 2102 (PDS data)
Spirit was embedded in Scamander Crater. The late afternoon sun and the tilt of the rover made the lighting dramatic.
What really stands out to me, is the dust load on the sweep magnet.
Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.