no MARDI images from Phoenix
mcaplinger
post Nov 14 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

http://www.msss.com/msl/mardi/news/12Nov07/index.html

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
nprev
post Nov 15 2007, 02:35 AM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Wasn't so much the probability of occurrence as the nature of the conflict. Potential interference with IMU inputs during EDL (where, obviously, they're needed the most) is scary indeed, and I'm sure that the Phoenix team is not at all anxious to repeat the MPL disaster (which, admittedly, arose from completely different root causes; the point is the same).

Losing the imagery is far better than accepting even a very small risk of losing the vehicle, so gotta vote WAY on the side of caution here; think they did the right thing. We're all well aware of how problematic landing on Mars has been historically; don't think that we need to take unnecessary chances. To quantify a little bit anyhow, here's where I'd put this on a probability vs. consequences plot, and it ain't makin' it.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am in no way trying to denigrate MARDI or its science return. Context data is invaluable, and it's really a damn shame that we won't get it from an instrument of this quality. However, given the fact that the spacecraft is in flight and no work-around appears evident, mission assurance needs have to take precedence.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 15 2007, 08:37 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 15 2007, 03:35 AM) *
Losing the imagery is far better than accepting even a very small risk of losing the vehicle

Except that in this business there's always at least a "very small risk of losing the vehicle". Most of the time it's much greater than 1 in a 1000, realistically speaking. Personally, I think this decision was influenced by too great of a paranoia. There's trying to lower the realistic risk beyond that what's feasible and then there's trying to lower the mathematically calculated risk. This decision seems to me to be more of the second one in nature, not that much is gained while quite a bit of nice science is lost.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 19 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 15 2007, 12:37 AM) *
Except that in this business there's always at least a "very small risk of losing the vehicle".

Oh, yeah, man, no doubt; should've clarified that comment a bit. What I meant was that it seems unwise to accept a known risk in addition to the unknowns and the uncontrollables. If MARDI was essential for EDL, then by all means this would be an acceptable risk; since it's not, then mitigating it is appropriate.

Not that I'm not severely bummed... sad.gif ...was really looking forward to those images, and I feel bad for the MARDI investigators. Sometimes systems engineering is anything but kind...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.