Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hayabusa movies
Subaru
post Oct 18 2012, 04:40 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 2020

Hi folks.
The three Hayabusa films will be screened at the Embassy of Japan in U.S.A.
Of course they have English subtitles. Enjoy!

!!! Each event requires a separate registration. !!!

See this page: http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JICC/events/...busa-films.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michael Capobian...
post Oct 25 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 544

Last night I saw HAYABUSA: The Long Return Home (TOEI Company, LTD.) It was really well-done film, I thought. Ken Watanabe was very good as Professor Yamaguchi. The English subtitles were specially commissioned by the JAXA representatives for this showing. From following along on unmannedspaceflight.com, I had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen and, as far as I could tell, the movie was quite accurate. There was even a shout out to the "official energy drink." The reception had wine, plentiful sushi, and barely edible Japanese space food, and they gave out cardboard models of the HTV filled with cookies. It was a very enjoyable event. They will be showing HAYABUSA (20th Century Fox Japan) on Monday, October 29.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Oct 26 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 6336

I wish to see it some day, the heroic work to return Huyabasa and complete the mission successfully were a true marvel.

@Michael Capobianco: So they go that energy drink in also, not to surprising, that drink became a bit of a running joke for a brief time. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Michael Capobian...
post Oct 27 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #34

TheAnt: Yes. LIPOVITAN-D was certainly part of the Hayabusa experience here on unmannedspaceflight.com. The reference in the movie went by so fast that I almost missed it, though.

For those in the DC area: the October 29 showing of the 20th Century Fox HAYABUSA has been postponed to Nov. 2 because of Hurricane Sandy.

+Quote Post
Blue Sky
post Dec 18 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 6317

Whether Japanese studios are coming to their senses regarding prices, or it is exchange rates, anyway, the earlier Hayabusa movie with English subtitles is now available in Bluray format from Amazon Japan for only $11.25 (US) plus $9.60 for shipping and customs. That is quite reasonable for shipping from Japan. And it is shipped by Amazon itself and they do international deliveries. woo hoo.

The Ken Watanabe version still not available in English. Look for "英語" on the Subtitles line.

+Quote Post
Blue Sky
post Dec 27 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 6317

Some brief comments on "Hayabusa". The movie is working several themes at once, including trying to explain to the lay public exactly how the mission works. The cinematic device for doing this is to follow the story of a female graduate student (played in an adorably geeky way by Yűko Takeuchi) who gets involved in the project. She has completed her Masters in astronomy or geology (not sure which) with a paper on crater formation. While working on her Doctoral thesis she is working in a book store. After attending a lecture on future exploration plans she introduces herself to the speaker, who later invites her to come work for him, and she ends up several years later in the control room during Hayabusa operations.

There is a funny scene where she is coming out of an elevator on her first day at work and bumps face to face into Professor Yamaguchi. She freezes in her tracks and while she tries to decide whether to introduce herself, bow, or get out of the way, the elevator door keeps trying to close on her.

At some point she is trying to explain how "electric rocket engines" work to a small child and she gives a very technical answer which she suddenly realizes the kid does not undertand at all. He wanders off and the grad student gets this look in her eyes as she realizes the unmet need for explaining the project for the non-technical audience. So she decides to make this her work. She does it by writing a sort of manga which bears a striking similarity to the drawings done by Go Miyazaki. She has Hayabusa talking about the trip he is undertaking. A co-worker asks "You mean like Tommy the Tank Engine?"

One of the public talks given by the young woman's boss goes over who Hideo Itokawa was, the Japanese rocket scientist after whom their destination asteroid is named. This is an example of how the movie blends documentary-style information into the narrative.

Hm, female ex grad student who explains space science to the public. Sound like anybody we know?

+Quote Post
Michael Capobian...
post Jan 4 2015, 04:58 PM
Post #37

Thanks for the heads-up, Blue Sky. I ordered the Blue-Ray from Amazon Japan and, amazingly, it arrived in less than a week.

I would rate the Ken Watanabe movie a bit higher than this one for drama and characterization, although you're right that the central character is well done in this one. It's been a while since I saw the Watanabe version, but my impression is that the special effects in that movie are not quite as good as they are here.

And someone does actually take a swig of Lipovitan-D in this movie, which is a plus.

I'd say they're both worth watching, for different takes on the mission. How often do you get movies centered around unmanned spacecraft?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:04 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.