Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Oct 24 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #228

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

What are Oppy's chances of getting a "cleaning event" as it advances up the hillside at Cape York? Do we know anything about the wind patterns around Endeavour?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 24 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #229

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Circular version of mhowards's anaglyph... I find that one problem with using the anaglyph like this is that the seam where the end meet (south in these views) is messed up a bit, where it would not be with a normal panorama. But it's not too bad.

Small hill on the horizon due west - it's Pathfinder Mound.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 24 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 105

Neat, Phil. I suspected that the bump to the due west was Pathfinder Mound, but I am puzzled by the similar bump to the NW (about N45W). My older Route Maps are archived away but the one "large scale" reference shows just a very eroded crater there, or possibly a small ridge along that azmuth. Most of my good HiRISE maps are near the travserse path for use as context.

At any rate, this is, I believe, our first "lookback" towards the Meridiani highland since we arrived at CY.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Oct 24 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #231

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

I guess I'll go back to posting left, right and anaglyph for the Navcam panoramas, unless I get complaints about using too much disk space. The tradeoff is you won't get thumbnails.

Sol 2754 360x90 degree Navcam left right

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 24 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #232

Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 24 2011, 06:57 PM) *
... but I am puzzled by the similar bump to the NW (about N45W). My older Route Maps are archived away but the one "large scale" reference shows just a very eroded crater there, or possibly a small ridge along that azmuth. Most of my good HiRISE maps are near the travserse path for use as context.

Mariner 9 (aka "Approach Crater") is on that heading but I'll take this ID with care because it's also twice the distance to Pathfinder Mound.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Oct 24 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #233

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (marsophile @ Oct 24 2011, 08:40 AM) *
What are Oppy's chances of getting a "cleaning event" as it advances up the hillside at Cape York? Do we know anything about the wind patterns around Endeavour?

i am hoping the topography here is more suitable for gusts or vortices to form, at least here more than anywhere since leaving Victoria i would venture to guess, but still just hoping.. you might have missed Stu's interview with one of the flight team (thanks again Stu!) it is highly worth reading..

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 24 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #234

Member No.: 105

No telling at this point about that "NW Bump". It lies at the point where the mid-ground horizon on CY intersects with the background horizon on the Meridiani highland, so it may be near or far. We'll be able to tell more in a few days travel as the perspective changes.

The one on the left is Phil's Bump and the one on the right is the Abstruse Bump...

--Bill
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
brellis
post Oct 25 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #235

Member No.: 1700

Rereading Stu's latest interview with Scott Maxwell -- after all these years it hadn't been readily apparent that being a rover driver is a bit like "feast or famine". You're either in a constant push to map out, execute and review the results of drives, or you're stuck in purgatory, parked in a winter haven or otherwise staying put while the MER is performing all those *science* activities!

+Quote Post
walfy
post Oct 25 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #236

Member No.: 5161

Oppy's tracks nicely framed today, with the drop-off to the crater showing up in 3D:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Oct 25 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #237

Member No.: 98

Here's a my3D stereo pair of the Pancam foreground on sol 2755, and a couple extras.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Oct 25 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #238

Member No.: 196

nice stereo pairs! (above and in recent posts), unfortunately for me they would have to be reversed to be viewable using the cross-eye method, so im not sure how to view these without any incidental accoutrements. anyone have suggestions?

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Oct 26 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #239

Member No.: 4338

QUOTE (atomoid @ Oct 25 2011, 04:10 PM) *
... reversed to be viewable using the cross-eye method, so im not sure how to view these without any incidental accoutrements. anyone have suggestions?

There is the low-tech method of bringing up two copies of the image, side-by-side, in two browser windows. These can be aligned in such a way as to facilitate cross-eye viewing. The windows can be resized or scrolled as necessary.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 26 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #240

Member No.: 152

It is a shame that that 3D format has the wrong order for cross-eyed viewing, but that format seems to be designed for use with a simple stereoscope (view-master idea, for those old enough!), so that means parallel rather than cross-eyed.

The two-window idea is simple enough. But I use stereophoto maker (for viewing and creating my anaglyphs). To view these stereo pairs, I just drag into stereophoto maker and hit the "swap left/right" button. This has the advantage that you can easily pan across wide cross-eyed pairs (such as full nav or pancams).

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 07:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.