Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 223

As Steve said: "get used to the current scenery ..."

so I decided to make the best out of it smile.gif
Especially the latest dune-panorama posted by dilo inspired me to the
following hand-colorization:

Links to the higher resolution version

It's a pity that the pancam-parts are only downsampled EDRs ...
OTH, if we remain stuck, I'm sure we'll get more than enough high-res
views of that place :-/

P.S.: I'm also working on a color version of the
whole 360degree panorama ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Nirgal
post May 11 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #2

here is the full 360 degree pan in color:

full resolution panorama (1MB)

detail crop of the "dinosaur tail" dune:

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 12 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 150

Nirgal, incredibly, I discovered this thread only now! unsure.gif huh.gif mad.gif
When I posted my PanCam mosaic, suggesting you to colorize it, I didn't imagined this superb result! I'm deeply deliced and I want deeply thank you for citation! smile.gif
...One day, I hope, you will illustrate in detail your technique to us wink.gif .
Regards!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post May 12 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (dilo @ May 12 2005, 08:47 PM)
Nirgal, incredibly, I discovered this thread only now!  unsure.gif  huh.gif  mad.gif
When I posted my PanCam mosaic, suggesting you to colorize it, I didn't imagined this superb result! I'm deeply deliced and I want deeply thank you for citation! smile.gif
...One day, I hope, you will illustrate in detail your technique to us  wink.gif .
Regards!

Thanks for the kind words, dilo smile.gif

I'm still working on the perfection of the colorizing techniques ...
It's a mixture of (pseudo-)intelligent colorizing algorithms
(hard-coded in plain C language wink.gif
and a lot of brush hand-work in the details & fine tuning ...
Each individual b/w picture is a difficult challange to obtain "realistically looking"
color results without additional filter informations ...

Often enough, I'm not very satisfied with results (many tries with hundreds of different color hues and shades until it feels to look "right"...

For getting my overall "inspirations" for the general look&feel of the Martian colors
I'm often looking at the beautiful real/multi-filter color images posted
by other experts and color Wizards like djellison, Horton or on Daniel Crotty's (slinted) great site.
Also the many fantastic navcam-panoramas posted here (Tman, dilo and others) are often rewarding invitations to add the colors to them smile.gif

Still, some images succeed more than others ... it often depends on the nature of the original b/w image: your panorama, for example with the fine contrast-rich dune patterns,
was one of those where I immediately thought would be a good target for
colorization ...

BTW.:My latest attempt is to bring color to some Microscopic Imager views
(methuselah and jib close-ups look promising smile.gif

Long term goal would be to publish some kind of "coffee-table"-book with the best color images of the Mars missions (more "artistically oriented" than the usual
kind of space-book, less text, more images) ... but I'm afraid it won't be easy to find publishers for such a project ...

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Nirgal   "fighting The Surf" Panorama In Color   May 6 2005, 01:21 PM
- - MahFL   Thats awesome.   May 6 2005, 01:36 PM
- - Tman   QUOTE (Nirgal @ May 6 2005, 03:21 PM)It's...   May 6 2005, 02:11 PM
- - Jeff7   This picture does a good job of showing some dimen...   May 6 2005, 03:48 PM
- - Nirgal   here is the full 360 degree pan in color: full r...   May 11 2005, 07:45 PM
|- - dilo   Nirgal, incredibly, I discovered this thread only ...   May 12 2005, 06:47 PM
|- - Nirgal   QUOTE (dilo @ May 12 2005, 08:47 PM)Nirgal, i...   May 12 2005, 10:43 PM
|- - dilo   QUOTE (Nirgal @ May 12 2005, 10:43 PM)I'm...   May 13 2005, 12:49 AM
- - Vladimorka   Someone to make 3d of the "dinosaur tail...   May 11 2005, 08:22 PM
- - Nirgal   it's getting definitely more wavy ... However,...   May 11 2005, 11:39 PM
- - Nix   Nice work Nirgal. I made the pan myself but it sur...   May 12 2005, 10:49 PM
- - CosmicRocker   I have been experimenting with Autostitch, trying ...   May 13 2005, 04:02 AM
|- - dilo   Good results, CosmicRocker! I planned to make ...   May 13 2005, 05:02 PM
- - CosmicRocker   I have also been struggling with a 360 degree anag...   May 13 2005, 04:39 AM
- - CosmicRocker   I hesitate to post this, but Vladimorka asked for ...   May 13 2005, 05:06 AM
|- - Jeff7   QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ May 13 2005, 01:06 AM)I...   May 14 2005, 02:18 PM
- - Tman   Hi C.Rocker, great works with Autostitch. I wonder...   May 13 2005, 07:15 PM
- - alan   I have better luck using autostitch on images from...   May 13 2005, 07:26 PM
- - CosmicRocker   Thank you, Dilo and Tman, but it was not so much a...   May 14 2005, 02:44 AM
- - dilo   Thank you, C.Rocker! Your experimental approa...   May 14 2005, 07:11 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:56 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.